Questions about Laser Safety, specifically Pangolin/William Benner doc 'Making Shows
The William Benner doc mentioned is one of the most informative ones I have found, but a few item confuse me:-
Step 1)
It uses the method of (carefully) projecting a static beam into the venue, but the preceding paragraph says its effects that need to be evaluated. Unless steps 4), 5) & 6) measure effects which are then compared against this static beam? Or more correctly, it's Irradience?
It then mentions 'laser powers below 15mW'. I cannot easily see where this figure is extrapolated from. Unless it is somehow related to the area of a 7mm diameter pupil. Any ideas?
And that if the beam diameter is less than 1cm, it's already an unsafe exposure unless <15mW is being used. Not sure why it's 15mW, & does it mean beam area of 1 square cm rather than beam diameter? The para about a calibrated laser power meter says active area of 1cm square. But a beam of diameter 1cm has an area of pi x diameter/4? Or pi x radius squared? [incidently, Whats the Maths linking these equations? Does radius squared somehow equate to diameter/4 do to some law of indices/powers?]
Conversly, am I also correct in saying just because the beam dia/area is more than the 1cm detector area, it doesn't mean things are safe - you could be using some huge 2000mW Class 4 laser?
Back to the rationale for step 1), maybe it is measuring/establishing a baseline irradience against which single pulse, multiple pulse MPE & average power can be compared?
Assuming that is the case, step 4) computes the single pulse MPE, from actual measurements of pulse width and pulse repetition rates.
My confusion comes from 'if the irradiance measured in step 1 is greater than the single pulse MPE, stop right there - the effect is not safe for even 1 pulse of laser light'
Surely it's the other way round? I.e. if the MPE measured in step 4) is greater than the irradiance measured in step 1), that's unsafe? The way it's written it says if the single pulse MPE is less than the irradiance of a static beam, that's unsafe. I thought you want your single pulse MPE less than the irradience of a static beam. Seems illogical to me, or I have got it wrong? Could it be Irradience at the NOHD where even a static beam is eye safe?
Using the example equations, step 1) establishes a static beam irradiance of 7.5mW/cm square, whilst step 4) states a single-pulse of 18mW/cm square.
As written it suggests to me that if the irradiance of 7.5 is greater than MPE of 18 it's unsafe - or the other way round if step 4) MPE is less than step 1) Irradience that's unsafe. Is the worked example equation in the 4th line from the bottom of step 4) correct, as it says 0.0018 not 0.018 which is 18mW - an extra zero crept in?
Similar argument exists if step 5) Multiple-pulse MPE is less than step 1) Irradience being unsafe.
Step 6) says if average power delivered by this effect is greater than Average MPE, the effect is not safe. I can see this one is correct! But is the example equation right? Similar to step 4) It uses 0.0018 for 18mW again, another extra zero?
Do you see what I mean, or have I been working on this too long?
Sorry that I could not find a better forum to ask about these points. I have emailed Pangolin & await their results.
Fundamentally, are MPEs Irradience based, I.e. if I had a line generation optic that spread a laser beam into a straight line, & that line had a power density (is that same as irradience?) of 1mW/cm squared, would that beam/line be safe if it hit you in the eye?
What happens with time? Is such a viewing safe indefinitely, or is there a duration after which it is unsafe, even just a minute pulse. Maybe this is where those equations describing pulse width come from.
I am trying to understand safety & MPE, & also the scientific and mathematical basis behind them. I have Asperger Syndrome.
I look forward to your reply.
Many thanks,
Simon B.
'Questions about Laser Safety, specifically Pangolin/William Benner doc 'Making Shows
Dear James,
Thanks White-Light. I have pasted in step 4 in its entirety below.
In essence its says if the static beam Irradience is GREATER than the single pulse MPE, it's NOT safe.
Logically translates to 'if the single pulse MPE is LESS than the static beam Irradience it is unsafe'. Same thing for the multiple pulse MPE also in step 5.
I would have thought that it is desirable for the MPE of effects projected into the audience to be LESS than the Irradience of a static beam.
Am I missing something here, and have I got the meaning backwards. I am trying to find out how to evaluate the safety of audience scanning a blue 445nm 1W laser module.
"Step 4. Compute the single-pulse Maximum Permissible Exposure [MPE] for this effect. This is the safety guideline or government regulation prescribing the maximum amount of irradiance (laser power density) that is considered safe for a given pulse-width. To compute the single-pulse MPE [see note 1] (in Watts per square centimeter), raise the pulse-width (in seconds) to the 3/4 power, multiply the result by 0.0018 and divide the entire result by the pulsewidth (in seconds). For example, if the pulse-width is 100 microseconds (0.000100 seconds) the calculation would be (0.000100) 3⁄4 X .0018 / 0.000100 = 0.018 W/cm2 or 18 milliwatts per square centimeter. (To do this with the scientific calculator provided with Microsoft Windows, enter 0.0001, press the X^Y key, enter 0.75 (equivalent of 3/4), press *, enter 0.0018, press /, enter 0.0001, and press =.) If the irradiance measured in Step 1 is greater than the single-pulse MPE, stop right there -- the effect is not even safe for one pulse of laser light (one scan across your eye) and must not be performed before an audience".
Maybe step 1 establishes a static beam & measures it at ts NOHD, against which the various MPEs are compared?
sorry to be a burden, but I cannot precede in establishing & understanding safety with things like this not straight in my mind!
Thanks again for all the help.
Si.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
White-Light