Hi All,
I know this topic is probly been discussed here before, which is better. I have been offered a RGB laser with a 635Nm red but I have heard the the diameter of the beam is much bigger 2.5mm -3mm against 1mm for the 637nM ?
Printable View
Hi All,
I know this topic is probly been discussed here before, which is better. I have been offered a RGB laser with a 635Nm red but I have heard the the diameter of the beam is much bigger 2.5mm -3mm against 1mm for the 637nM ?
Typically a 637nm laser module has better beam characteristics than 635nm ones. It will depend on the supplier and how well made and aligned the individual diodes are.
What power are you after?
the 637 is better than the 635.But at the same time,637 is much more expensive than the 635
635 is crap. 638nm is allot better but it can be used mainly for beamshows. 637nm single modes give the best beam after stacking but you need to stack 6 of them versus 2 of the 638nm diodes. But the 638,s need beam correction. 638,s are the poor mans red. I rather choose 500mw single mode and have the better quality beam then high power worse beamspecs of a 1 watt 638nm setup. If you stack 6 single modes you need a very stable stacking system to keep them alligned though.
It all depends what quality and what budget people have. Most people in the hobbyworld choose multimode because it is cheaper and its relatively easy to build it. Want have the best of the best you need to spend more but you will get over the cost of a single mode module in time but if you go for cheap then it you will get haunted by the poor quality and keeps irretating you. At least for me because i want to have things perfect when it comes to lasershows. :p
The more expensive one will always be better.
If the cheaper one was the best option, you simply wouldn't see the more expensive one offered for sale (nobody in their right mind would buy it). Simple economics.
Thanks for the question and particularly, thanks edison for the clearest answer I've heard. I was going to post something similar just a day or two ago. I've still occasionally had a hard time wrapping my head around 635, 637,638, 640, 642 and the differences.
Real 640 if I understand correctly has the best beam and is the MOST expensive although I've also heard it said that some companies call their products 640 when they are really 642. I "think" I heard that Kvant even switched from making 640 to making 642.
I also understand 635 is huge, almost like 650 big (but brighter) so, it may be taking over as the red of choice in the cheaper Asian projectors.
Most chinese companies use 638nm but they don,t use correction optics. That way a european setup with corrective optics is better. Have a look here:
http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...wanna-have-red
638nm with about 1mrd divergence and 4x4.5mm at aperture. I have them also in RB modules with 650mw max and 1 watt blue:)
Most chinese are now starting to use 638nm because of the brightness but they don,t use correction optics. That way a european setup with corrective optics is better. Have a look here:
http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...wanna-have-red
638nm with about 1mrd divergence and 4x4.5mm at aperture. I have them also in RB modules with 650mw max and 1 watt blue:)
Brad, as far as I think I've understood it over the years, 640 and 642 are all the same thing. All direct injection diodes have a +- on the wavelength, so one diode could be 640 and one 642 and one 638 out of the same batch. I'm pretty sure that my Laserwave '640' module uses the same diodes as Kvant used in their '642' module.Quote:
Real 640 if I understand correctly has the best beam and is the MOST expensive although I've also heard it said that some companies call their products 640 when they are really 642. I "think" I heard that Kvant even switched from making 640 to making 642.
Just like we see 445 blue advertized as 450nm sometimes - I believe they are still talking about the same diodes.
I think any of the diodes that we know of that are referred to as between 635nmnd 642nm could all feasibly produce any wavelength in that band if the tolerances and other variables like temperature were in the right direction.
The only truly accurate way to describe them (I think) is to reference the diode part number.
Maybe DTR or someone who deals in them could jump in and answer that.
I have some unbuilt edison designed products floating around - a dual, a couple quads (although one is loaded with blue - I've just never set up a driver for it yet) and my thinking, based on this thread is to do a module with some of the single mode Mitsus to go in my graphics box project and then, maybe set up the dual with a couple of the Mitsu 500mW 638's.
I need to actually get my sh!t together and start attemping to mess with these and learn somthing. I've got too many "diode module building" parts laying around, with good intentions and no follow through.
Thanks for all the replies looked like I opened a can of worms on this one. I was looking at the Laserking LK-RGB2 which Linna offered me with a 300mW 635nM red. But also has a LK-RGB3 which comes with a 640nM at 300mW both CNI modules. If you go to the CNI website there is a distinct difference between the beam diameters of the 635 and the 637.I was thinking of perhaps going for the 635nM and then ordering a 637nM laser from CNI and changing it myself, as they do ship directly to South Africa.
what diode is SINGLE mode and does 300mw? Best I know of is 170mw 642-638nm single mode. the g71 from what I know has a crap beam compared to the 170mw diodes.
There's an Optnext 640 single mode that does 250mw. It's $143, but drops to $107 in quantities of 25+. Anyone want to organize a group buy?
http://www.rpmclasers.com/laser-diod...space/hl6388mg
Buy it on ebay. but................. its multimode>:)
That is my point. There is nothing with a great raw beam better than the 638nm 170mw OPT diodes at the moment I know about. IF I can find something to fill my quad and give 1 solid watt in a 3x3mm beam 1mRAD or better then I'm sold. Until then I stick to my quad 638nm 170mw setup. It has gotten to the point that I use a black cardboard screen. The reflection off the wall is bright enough to light up the whole room and defeat the purpose of the higher power. Higher power on a black screen gives me better contrast ratio which is why I wanted high power and also keeps the reflections down.
What I'd like to see is a low enough power beam projector that you don't have to worry about gettting hit in the eye with a stray beam but still bright eneough to be enjoyable. I need a ns qucik set of shutter glasses that can keep my eyes safe! Good luck on that. Thus black cardboard and graphics.
I spoke to the distributor yesterday. He assured me it was single mode 640. The datasheet link was to a different diode, which I pointed out to him. Today it seems to be pointed to the correct model which lists the diode as multimode. Hmmm. Need to look into this more.
Edison: you are right about ebay, it's $33. Wow!
If its the HLG6388mg we are talking about it is multimode. I already build a module with it. Its in Rizard his Gtech. If its another diode then i,m confused:p
I looked at a few more sites and it's the same diode. The distributor was defintiely wrong. Good catch, Edison!
Thanks, i must admit doing this as a full time job has its bennefits, you can keep an eye on things a little more. There is some news on the red front but i will keep that to myself for now just for fun and see how long it takes that people will discover it. >:)
Attention retracted. But, boy would a 250mw single mode 640nm Optnext for $107 be sweet!
Can,t handle a little bit of teasing ? :p
I "thought" I was going to take a crack at this and say Kvant's new 607nm dpss red but, it looks like this was actually discussed on here a year ago. :(
Regardless, my e-mail from Kvant the other day is showing some interesting new wavelengths.
Haha do some research of your own. Good luck with that. Its easy to find but you need to put some effort in it. Just to see if anyone can find it
i will post it in the next couple of weeks if not. Its all fun since it,s a hobby isn,t it*retardo
I found this.. Not too terribly exciting tho ..
http://www.laserfocusworld.com/artic...at-633-nm.html
How about an 80% reduction in die size.
But given how we all hate the issues we encounter with 532 DPSS modulation, would we want to introduce another DPSS with potentially poor modulation characteristics back into the system?
Or is this the rebirth of the PCAOM in laser projectors?
Now that is what i call thinking ahead!!!! ;) Its another DPSS only with Blue as pumpdiode with a partical crystal to get red. At least that is what i think what it basically is ;)
We were not talking about going ahead, it was about news on the red front.
But were going off topic here, when the news has some potential info it will become available soon or later, just a matter of time.
I believe from memory when I was talking to Kvant about a new green, they said that 445nm pumped lasers modulate better than traditional DPSS. The problem for me was the low powers.
Having had that mailing it looks as if 400mw is the current ceiling on the new red.
These are the technical details I lifted from Martin's site:
Specification:
Minimal optical output: 400mW
Centre wavelength: 639nm
Centre wavelength tolerance: ±1nm
Beam size (horizontal x vertical): 2.5mm
Beam divergence (horizontal/vertical): 0.3mrad
Linear polarisation: Y
M2 (horizontal/vertical): ~2
Modulation frequency: 50kHz
Peak power consumption: 12V/5A
Module dimensions (L, W, H, mm) 94, 59, 37
Driver dimensions (L, W, H, mm) 100, 65, 75
Looks like very tight frequency response / stability at only +/- 1nm.
Shoot, I thought it was going to be a 2 watt single mode diode running @ 632nm that could be overdriven to 3 watts :rolleyes:
You know. I see RED PEOPLE.
I got a reply from Linna and she informed the 640nM red on the RGB-LK3 is a CNI module, with CNI being a reputable company I would assume that is genuily 640nM and not 642nM.
And what is the difference between 640 and 642? See my previous comment...