EDIT: Answer: yes, definitely.
Unless you need very very large cover area or project very far (>80 meters), video projectors all the way, baby.
EDIT: Answer: yes, definitely.
Unless you need very very large cover area or project very far (>80 meters), video projectors all the way, baby.
Bright doesn't equal contrast and sharpness.
Remember raster graphics are different (which are of video projectors).. they have a resolution while vector graphics do not as it's mathimatical coordinates.
One of the most striking differences is the infinite contrast ratio with laser vector graphics.
Try to project a logo on a wall 100 meters away with a video projector and you'll see by yourself.
Video mapping and lasers will never outperform each other, it`s like Lights and pyros , it`s 2 different effects. but they work like hell together :)
I have done several shows, where I do the lasers (mostly beams) and there is one Video DJ performing 3D video mapping on white walls around the scene. :)
btw, I want to learn how to do the video mapping, it`s awesome effect and I already have a video projector.
I dont know what software that can be used to split up the screen into different areas (like pangolin can project different screens with one laser)
The problem is with video projectors you'd have to get out the proper lenses and the sharpness wont be as good on a varying surface.
Personally I'm a bigger fan of laser graphics then video projections.
Less common, more unique :)
Apples and oranges - no winner.
Those Epsons are nice. A little pricey. If the human eye can see a candle from a mile away, can it not also detect the difference between 1,000,000:1 and infinite contrast ratio?
Other desirable attributes of laser:
The laser is in focus at any distance.
The laser vector graphic projector's total light output can be concentrated into a single pixel or "beam".
I never told you that a laser projector would be able to do this, I just spoke about long range logo projection.
About the technical things, have a look at this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TNyICoTUc
You will see 4 guys carrying projectors by stairs up to the top of the building >:)
With 3D mapping there's often more than 1 projector and they aren't consumer or small business models!
+1.
That said, it's horses for courses. In my opinion, for video, you can't beat projection as the scanning resolution is there and there's no doubt projection mapping is very impressive. For bright outline graphics or beams, laser still is the better option.
I was going to reply with a simple 'no' yesterday but couldn't be bothered.
To me, your question is a little confused to begin with.
Video mapping and laser graphic projection are entirely different things, and I'm not sure they've ever really existed in each others domain, so the question 'will they replace them' is a little misunderstood, in as much as they were never really doing the job in the first place.
If you want to project images, use a video projector.
If you want to project bright thin lines, use a laser projector.
If you're trying to project complex video graphics with a laser projector, you're using the wrong tool for the job (imho)*Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love my lasers and also get some money from this hobby by renting them and selling shows, but this question has been worrying me for some time
So are you really worrying that you wanted to get into video mapping but bought the wrong projection hardware?
* yes, yes, I'm well aware they 'can' do raster, etc, but it ain't great, and certainly not a patch on a decent video projector.
I do work for a museum that has a permanent projection system setup to do projection on the roof of the building, this is a fairly simplistic setup with no 3D mapping (apart from blending and dealing with the curvature of the roof)
Attachment 44402
Just to give some detail of the setup:
Projection distance from projector tower to roof is about 88 metres (291 feet), projection area is 76 metre wide x about 15 metres high (250 feet x 50 feet)
Projectors:
4 x Christie Roadster 22K projectors - they have 1400 x 1050 resolution with 1600-2000:1 contrast, requires a mere 20 amps per projector and the lamp life is only 750 hr, and the lamp cost is around AU$6000 per lamp (and they only have one lamp so no redundancy)
They cost roughly AU$40,000 each!
and a huge an as stated above require 4 persons to carry them (and a chain block to get them into position)
Content control:
2 Servers running quad high end video cards (one server for redundancy)
Software used is Watchout from Dataton (on both server above)
1 x TVone vision blender
Now to support these four projectors they need a structure to house the projectors to get them up high enough
Air conditioning (and a large air conditioner at that) to maintain temperature in the room (need to run up 30 minutes prior to show and 30 minutes after show)
and last but not least show content, each show cost anywhere around 20-40K to create the shows
and I'm not including a lot of other costs like the labour to assemble it all together
and then you have the ongoing maintenance costs (the biggest one being lamps at 25K per 750 hrs (or less if they don't burn out equally)
so to ask are video projectors replacing laser projectors?
I don't think so when you look at the cost associated to each method, I could buy a very nice laser projector for $160,000 and I'd get 10,000 - 20,000 hrs out of it
but then they both have different capabilities
Attachment 44403
Attachment 44404
The difference of what is a real laser projection is VERY obvious to the eye (Check the second image) The noise seen on the lines is part of the charm of lasers. A crowd can clearly see some sparkle in the lines being drawn (which changes depending on viewing angle).
You are comparing apples to oranges here as stated before.
You can do 3D mapping with lasers but its a completely different style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3HkSelr5eY
There is 3D software for lasers as well.
I do work for a company which does on building 3D mapping with video projectors as well but they constantly keep coming back for the laser graphics as corporate events love it.. It stands out.. very clearly.
I recently got accepted for an academic study in animation (in fact here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_de_Kooning_Academy) and they are loving the laser animations over there. So much they are featuring me in an article soon.
Attachment 44405 Attachment 44406
Dear Trollidude -
Uh, ya.. Don't think you 'get out much'... :p There are applications for laser-graphics that video pj's will never touch, because the inherent nature of laser light behaviours, ie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Lp2I4RVBc / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxRFek-qNs ..and those are the least of-such examples..
..and other horribly-disparate-surface situations, ie: mountains, tree-banks, catwalk-structures under the roof of an arena, etc, etc.. And also, as has-been well-mentioned, distance.. ie:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...5_166664_n.jpg
...over a 720' "throw"... (..and the only reason this pix looks 'fuzzy', is this was a 'zoom-shot'.. The actual-projections were *very* crisp looking, even viewed quite-skewed from 36 stories below, at street-level.. ) Lemme see 'video' do that.. and, do that with a pj we carried in our hands / ran off 1x 110V, have a nice day.. Video would have been oatmeal..
..Anyhoo, point being, as Norty and Loopee nicely summarized, they're different tools for different purposes.. Video-projectors are not going to 'replace' laser projectors, so.. this whole thread is rather kinda stinkytrolly... :rolleyes:
Why would / should there be?? :confused: The only thing I can see being relevant is the 'marriage' of the two, which can be quite cool / engaging.. (And I know there are more 'grand examples' out there, but..) Here's one well-done / nice-example, that comes to mind..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TAhGIlMbWw / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFzoZ4_Hoo
..not to mention Lumia, diffractive-fx, diffusion-fx (..lemme see you shoot video thru a piece of frosted-acrylic, and have anything useful / meaningful come out the other side.. ie: http://www.laserium.com/gallery/images/100116.jpg ) ...ad-infinitum..
..Anyhoo, sorry, but I think.. 'Your Argument is Invalid'.... :p
Have a nice Ray, cya..
j
I've recently come to the conclusion that laser based video projectors offer a huge range of infinite effects that galvo based projectors couldn't dream off. Including eye safe crowd scanning, and beam shows. No need to learn complicated laser projector software just to produce some single line mathematical limited images. Its a lot easier to manipulated video frames than ild frames. A simple slide show, or music generated screen saver can produce far better effects than a top tier laser projector. You can create shows right on DVDs, and share them if you wish. No special files formats, locked or outdated formats anymore. No more DAC. Most video editors are self explanatory. They already have programs out there that take out the guess work. Like G-Force for music timed fractals, image distortions, and abstracts. And MusicBeam for eye safe beam shows.
I've had this projection concept in mind for a long time, as have many others. As mentioned contrast is the key. But with the rate video projectors are moving forward that wont be an issue soon. Right now you can create out of the box eye safe beam shows, and with a click of the mouse start music timed fractal shows with absolutely no training, no paper work, or special equipment. Give it a little more time, and galvo projectors will be the thing of the past IMO. They will still have a use in large venues, but from weddings, to raves/clubs, to backyard shows, I think the video projector will take over. Its a lot less complicated, it will give better visuals than a galvo projector could, and its totally eye safe. You wont have to deal with safety paperwork, and training either.
MusicBeam....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9owK6OHUWE
G-Force....
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2lkfm3b.jpg
http://media.soundspectrum.com/image...enshots/13.jpg
http://media.soundspectrum.com/image...enshots/20.gif
I think once video projection takes off we'll be seeing a plethora of new software, and plug-ins.
Thx for the great exemples Jon, well worth thousands words ;) Really complementary tools!
Btw I have a plan to make such a show this winter, I'll consider both those tools by myself and maybe I'll come up with my own vid' to show this here, even if I'll start at a 'quite' lower scale than this >:)
I think its safe to say you can debate this either way.
You hope not, LOL. If it did it would put the whole industry out of work. I doubt that would happen because galvo projectors still have their place. I think you might see a hefty change at hobbyist level tho. Especially when people who already have video projectors figure out they can do more than just presentations, and movies.Quote:
Video-projectors are not going to 'replace' laser projectors, so.. this whole thread is rather kinda stinkytrolly... :rolleyes:
Pangolin has emulaser for fake video projector laser projection and you can most certainly see the difference.
It doesn't compare contrast wise and the beams degrade really quickly in intensity.
To make matters worse lcd projectors pass through some light.. so when projecting black there willl be still lighting from the projector.
DLP projectors have a problem where if white effects move fast you get a rather unpleasant rainbow effect.
(I have both DLP and LCD projectors here and also used a very high lumen projector a few times.. if you use an wide angle lens the intensity with a high lumen thousand dollar projector that's on a pneumatic adjustable platform degrades really quickly).
Lines have to be very thick to work well and well spaced or the beams get washed out.
Video projection is actually very commonely used *thats why there are vjockeys* and to be honest the problem is these video projectors are mostly very distracting (especially with fog or haze).. they interfere with the stage lights and enviromental lights in a negative way unless back projection is used which most stage aren't long enough in depth for.
This is why led screens are more commonly used then video projectors.
Regarding G-Force I used to have that when I still had windows XP or so.. it's nice but the control is little.
You are better off using modul8 for mac here.
Video projectors aren't going to replace laser projectors and vice-versa.
In fact the amount of work regarding laser use *for graphics* is clearly growing as the awareness of what capabilities laser projectors have continues to grow!
I share my work actively online or showcase it.. it's good for all of us.. as long as you can deliver the abilities modern lasershow equipment can offer, then you can benefit from it too.
The promotion of the laser graphics does itself... in fact I haven't had to approach anyone yet! They came to me instead.
Would I have used a video projector to do what I do now nobody would have given 2 cents.
Personally I suggest you to come experience a proper laser graphics show but The Netherlands is far away.
I'm in talks with hunter though (who is an USA based certified laser safety officer) to tag along for a month in the united states.
Why not come experience one of my shows to make up your judgement?
If you do not live in the USA the only other locations I can offer you to see a show of me is in Spain, Poland or Germany
" 15 characters"
I'm in the US. New England.
I'd love to see your shows. I have seen Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, and literally a huge list of other bands that presented top shelf shows. Been to rave parties, laserariums, clubs, and outdoor shows. Watched 100+ Youtube videos. Even went to a LEM. I can honestly say, minus Lumia and beam shows, they were nothing close to what I expected. I've also seen quite a few shows crash.
Dont get me wrong, I loooooooove laser light. But I dont like 3rd grade art work galvos create. The abstracts are cool, but they are mathematical, and there is no real analog movement to them. In my case a video projector is exactly what I need. I dont have to worry about blinding people, there is no paperwork, no aircraft to worry about, and I can create true analog images that a galvo projector is not capable of, plus eye safe beam shows. Plus I can add real images or video clips to the show. When I'm done creating I can throw it on a DVD. With a video editor I can add everything to a timeline, and add even more effects. Most video editors are free, or cheap.
I also what to create planetarium effects, and I know for a fact a galvo would never handle all the stars. It cant do planets either. All it produces is colored lined balls. A video projector can project an actual picture of the moon, comets, ect.
I'm not going to even get started with flicker issues.
I hear everyone's points, and they are valid. But so are mine. I would not discount video projectors. There is plenty of room for them at the hobbyist, and low end commercial level. People like cheap, easy, and safe. You cant say that about galvo based projectors.
Man this is starting to seem more like a despirate troll attempt.
Solidude I urge you to go out to see a real laser show or laser graphics show.. your screen cannot display the contrasts that can be seen in real life.
If video projectors could do the exact same what laser graphics can then laser graphics wouldn't be there.. it's not rocket science to come to that conclusion.
A lof of us do this stuff for years.. if what you stated would be a true replacement we would have known for a long time now.. us knowing the visual differences its uncomparable.
I think I'm done posting here, waste of time.
This is up to the artist. I use special optimizations aside from ILDSOS (which are manual) to create quite complex art work and use professional flash puppets these days for very complex rig movement.
I don't have many examples of it as the technique is very new when it comes to laser display but here:
Attachment 44426Attachment 44427
Attachment 44428Attachment 44429
*!old gif rendition! issues displayed have been resolved and content is subject to change*
These new kind of rigs can be completely manipulated from every perspective.. everything can be changed.. expressions.. mouth hair it's all possible like real cartoons.
This is for a hasbro licensed event in the center of amsterdam btw in collaboration with a movie academy.
I used to be the troll king, and I can honestly say I dont see any trolling here. At least not from me.
I've been thinking of using a Pico projector. It uses a RGB laser system. Wouldnt this give me a simular effect of a PJ?
I dont plan on doing events. I want something for around my house.
You're right, and wrong Gary. It took me a while to figure out that a PJ will not give me the effects I want. But I am still a laser enthusiast. I've learned a lot here, and continue to learn. If alternative thought makes you uncomfortable then maybe you should ignore me. I'm from LPF and we're used to thinking out of the box. Maybe thats why you couldnt last there. Oh ya, I remember now. You thought the members where too stupid to crack your software. Then the Spaghetti Monster came along, and you know the rest.
Didnt you get banned here too????
If you want stars you use a diffraction grating on a cheap projector on top of that the stars with a diffraction grating create a cool glow which really adds up to the star effect, then use another projector to do the visuals with a fish eye lens.
You can buy the pangolin lens or use a nikon fish eye lens for this.
Expensive? no.. fish eye lens costed me 100 euros.
Attachment 44431 Attachment 44432
Also: the pico brightness is bad.
Seen them doesn't mean you've seen it all.
No idea what software you used nor what projector you owned so your experience might have been different.
Diffraction grating is limited yes but thats why people think of clever setups.. Things that usually cost effort or a creative mind usually are less common and therefore more unique... People who all do the same do not stand out in an entertainment industry where it's all about surprising/stunning the crowd everytime you perform.
Ok really done now. Fixing some stuff before I leave tomorrow for camping with my father. My studies start soon so the week is the last bit I can afford to relax and read papers on lasers and stuff and finally catch some sun in the progress.
Use what works for you You don't have to convince anyone here. I think that concludes the whole argument (also good morning).
I believe all was said about it in this thread, nothing more to say to convince you that they are and will stay different tools, not really exchangable apart maybe for a hobby use in a living room... if you're still not, even after seeing side-by-side use in real, or the video where both are used to project graphics on building, then you will be impossible to convince and should go the video pj route ;)
But for sure, if you project lines with the same thickness, the laser lines will appear much brighter than the video lines. It's physical, the video projector can't output all its lumen on a single point, to draw thin lines it has to block the light output from its entire projection surface apart where is located the line. Or am I totally wrong?
We had this same discussion when the first DLP projectors came along. Didn't replace laser graphics then, and it won't now.
The artistry is in the use of the media. There are tons of effects that can be done with video projectors that cannot be done with laser graphics projectors, and vice versa. The truth is, people's expectations have grown with the over abundance of ultra bright LED video screens screaming for attention in every direction when you go to places like Vegas or New York in Times Square. 3D Video mapping is more common place in corporate events, raves, and concerts. And the quality of 3D animated movies have almost become life-like, with the exception of the uncanny valley. And even then, Pixar has set the bar pretty high for animation expectations. The same old laser clip art flipping around and zooming just isn't going to cut it anymore.
With that said, its not like laser animation has just stood still since the days of Lasermedia or the old QM32. There are exciting things happening in Pangolin Beyond that is allowing for really advanced graphic show creation. With high powered, full colored RGB projectors finally getting into a price range that is reasonable, multi scanner shows are very feasible to create some eye catching, jaw dropping shows. Synchonizing multiple 30K+ scanners to create multiple layers of very advanced laser graphics, with masking is almost laughably easy now. And while video still struggles with getting good black level and contrast levels, lasers can contrast very well with a black background to still almost appear floating in 3D space. And I won't even mention the near infinite scalability since it has already been brought up. with Pangolin Quickshow, RIYA and supporting software, and other entry level platforms, this is putting show creation into the hands of more capable people with capabilities that we only dreamed of 15-20 years ago. And Ive seen some clever use of this at raves and club shows.
But it really shouldn't be a question of "or", but rather "and". Almost all of the laser over video shows I've seen absolutely take my breath away. I saw a video of an Audi corporate demo recently with laser over video, and the fact that the laser could make the highlights in the video "jump" off the screen just made the whole presentation pop with excitement. But it was a combination of laser, video, and music. The expectation is so high now that it really does have to be a true multi media experience to keep Joe Sixpack from checking his phone.
Just like anime hasn't displaced manga or comics, and 8bit and 16 bit retro gaming is making a tremendous comeback, I don't honestly believe laser graphics will go away anytime soon. like with neon signs, there will always be conosiuers who prefer them over the flashy video billboards.
Just my 2 cents.
There is a lot missing here, in this thread. There is an old school Laserium laserist on this forum and while I strongly disagree with his ethics, I will say he is very correct about one thing: The laserist *IS* a part of the equipment. Sure, you can have software do all of this for you; visualizers and screen saver-esque video projections at the touch of a button. So can everyone else. Any idiot with a Mac or PC can do all of these things. The reason you don't see this much is because it isn't unique. There is no artistry behind it. People don't want a show that looks like something they can watch on their computer while they're smoking a doobie, listening to Digweed. There is nothing special about it. Laser shows are still unique. Even though every DJ has a 123 abc laser from China, the people in the clubs still go "ahhhhhh" when they see it. Even bad laser shows still look better than "fast food" video projections that anyone can create. It's the same reason why we still use pyro (which has been around for a VERY long time) for the "oooooo" and "ahhhh' effect. It beats the hell out of projecting video of flames or fireworks on a screen. Long story short, no, laser projectors are very safe. Laser shows will be around for a very long time.
If you think laser shows are about the equipment/technology, you are definitely in the wrong forum.
Beams are 3d.Quote:
And pyros are bad examples because they are not just visual effects and it's also a 3d effect, while video projectors and laser projectors when used for graphics are both 2d and are both displaying just graphics by themselves. Bad analogy.
Anyway, it sounds like you've made up your mind. I'm out.
Yes, you can replace your laser pj with a video pj for your graphics shows.
I wish you'd put it in such straightforward terms at the start, as that's the first place I've really understood what you're trying to get at.
What I heard was some sort of Chicken Little 'oh no the sky is falling in' alarm that video projectors would be taking over the world.
TBH, I'm not a great fan of laser graphics anyway. It's a poor way of trying to enter into the video domain, aside from the sparkle it can add as a special effect. If I want to look at wire frames, I'd much rather play Elite....
But I'm interested why this isn't obvious anyway?Quote:
Oh, sorry then. Thanks.
You seem to have done some homework anyway, in the evidence you are presenting (I haven't watched one of your links yet BTW as I've not been on a decent connection/had the time to do it) and have reached the logical conclusion too.
For me its a case of:
'Can I project patterns/content with a projector that look like a laser?' - Yes
'Is it going to be bright enough on my projection surface?' - Yes
Conclusion, i can use a video PJ to do my laser graphics.
Now, would I want to go out and spend extra money on a video PJ, when i already own a laser that could do the graphics..... probably not. But then, if I wanted to do projections, I sure wouldn't want to try and emulate laser content.
Agreed.
Although my kids like them. (The eldest is 5)
However for me, in my opinion; I'm not much of a fan of Graphics (From a Laser projector) it seems to me to be the "Wrong use" of some very expensive hardware that would really be much better suited to throwing beams about.
We all love Lasers that is certainly a given, but I would imagine it was the look of a "Beam" that inspires this - not some dodgy wireframe graphic ?
In the nicest possible way, Graphic shows suck and I've never seen one that was impressive.
I don't really understand the topic anyway as Laser Projectors have never been in widespread use within the Concert/Production industry for Graphics presentation and now days it's all nasty led walls. ergh.
My 20p.
N.
^^ This
So, are we getting to the conclusion that you may have wanted to initially get into doing graphics/video and chosen the wrong projection medium to begin with?
In which case I would say sell up now, buy the kit you should be using and move forward with inspiring and original video art rather than bashing a square peg into a round hole.
A craftsman doesn't blame his tools. Underneath this discussion is the question, Which tool do I choose to make money? Being successful in business requires understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment you intend to use to get the business done. (It doesn't hurt to understand your tools in Art either!) Video projection can do stunning stuff, and can also reproduce the 90% of everything that defines crap. If what you intend to sell are graphics on the level of complexity of galvo based laser graphics in appropriately sized venues then it's a simple cost calculation assuming you can find customers who agree with your substitution. (Zeiss makes a video projector with a 2,500,000:1 native black for planetariums BTW.) The problem is video projectors are already being used for incredibly complex digital imagery in resolutions that require render farms to accomplish anything in a reasonable amount of time, and some of the the people doing that stuff have resources that you probably won't have anytime soon. So now we have another question, What kind of competition will I face if I make the change from Laser to Video? I suspect this is absolutely the wrong forum for that question.
I can scrape the ways on a machine tool by hand to a very high precision, or I could use a surface grinder to get the same precision. Two different tools often have different strengths and weaknesses depending upon their application. I could do a canned version of Laserium using video projectors. It wouldn't be the same, but there are things I could do with the video that I couldn't do with a 6B. (And things with the 6B...) Would it be a wash? No, the shows would be different - I hope they would both be great, but I get the impression you're just looking for good enough. And in my not so humble opinion it's the pursuit of good enough that's the real problem...
When you find me a video projector that lets me demo the image of a proposed Neon Sign full size, in the glare of the Times Square Neon/LEDS, Let me know.....
I participated in said demo, with the CEO of the company driving in a limo and then flying over in a Helicopter.
And yes, it was in New York City, with a 100 meter throw on one side and a 250 meter throw on the other. The side of the building was anything but co-operative in terms of reflection. The customer used lasers for the contrast ratio and the fact that we could run off 110VAC.
Love may move Mountains, but Lasers illuminate them best.
S.
surely you are referring to this:
http://youtu.be/-CbDwkyHnk8
this thread makes no sense... at all...
I agree. First, it was "will video replace lasers?" Then, it was "can video replace lasers?" Then, "if they can, why aren't people doing this?" Now, I don't know where it has gone. It seems like everyone has answered this gentleman's questions and he is wanting more. I don't mean to sound like a dick but it seems like every valid answer opposed is contested in some way, shape or form. I feel like we're just feeding the trolls at this point. If he is such a proponent of video, then, by all means, use it! He has answered all of his own questions.
your avatar sums up this thread perfectly
What do you want proving? That graphics shows using lasers are sh*t compared with video graphics?Quote:
I want you to prove me wrong. Or show me what I'm missing.
Look at any graphics show and it should be obvious (imho). Is that what you're missing?
The answer is quite plain, if you want to do graphics projection, buy a video projector, the biggest you can afford, with the nicest set of lenses you can, particularly medium/long throw with motorised zoom via remote control.
I work with a few video artists and the stuff they do with 5K to 8K projectors is unreal, laser graphics are simply like living in the 80's in comparison.
If you want to just play video shows that look like lasers, then you may be able to stock just lasers, but as soon as you want to do anything that doesn't look like a laser, then you need the video projector. This is simple logic, with a modicum of awereness of the hardware capabilities thrown in.
They'll look just fine with the right video projector and lens(es). Sell you stuff and move on...Quote:
So please, prove me wrong, give reasons why it won't look good.
The horse is now dead, and yet you continue to beat it. As you said yourself, the only objections have come from a couple of US guys doing very specific shows, that you are not likely to find yourself in the position of doing. Everyone else has told you its fine.
" 15 characters"