Quote:
Unless some portion of the PSU sensing and control system is grounded on the output side, generally there is no issue reversing the polarity. Only folks who would know are the folks that engineered and configured the cap charger. Some times that is mentioned in the manual, some times it is not.
Panasonic. Reassigned microwave oven, inverter power supplies. The current is controlled by the duty cycle of the PWM %. I think this will be much better than the big linear system I am using now. I just have to get a 220hz variable PW control circuit running.
Quote:
I would switch to series injection triggering if I were you. External field triggering is so out of date. Some times it is needed because of lamp cooling issues etc. Series injection allows two series lamps to run off a given cap bank, as well.
I actually moved away from series injection to what seems an anachronistic triggering system. I elected to use the external triggering so as to make the lamps themselves the HV, HC switch. This reduces the rather significant inductance that the secondary coil of a series transformer introduces. I also decided to operate each lamp with its own capacitor bank to avoid the increased impedance associated with operating the lamps in series. This impedance could be countered by going to very high discharge voltages and therefore low capacitance (maintaining the LC product), but we're talking 10's of kV's @ kw's for the power supply. Also, the interesting thing about these lamps is that a single lamp will spontaneously break down at about 2,200V, but two lamps in series will break down at about 2,800V. So, with multiple lamps in series, the switch would have to be a large, triggered SG or Thyratron that could hold back nearly the full discharge voltage and survive well over 10 kA. That gets expensive.