11 Attachment(s)
Repair and Redesign of a 110W surgical laser unit to operational functionality.
Hello All, I was recommended over here from the LPF as I'm dealing with a unit a tad out of their usual size range.
I come to you today with my first laser (beyond those 5mW toy lasers)
I figured if I will go anywhere, I might as well go big so I purchases a second hand greenlight medical laser system. It employs a 100W (110W?) flash pumped laser.
The unit I purchased had it's screen smashed, leaving me to suspect the rest of it could well be ok! http://laserpointerforums.com/images...s/thinking.gif
Before you start worrying or having concerns about a 'newbie' with such a laser. I have read quite a lot of the safety pointers here and I have 2 pairs of greenlight glasses that game with the unit for eye protection (though I'd still treat the laser as if I didn't have them in terms of safety) I have already had the safety discussion on LPF, however I would be very welcome for any information for safe operation / working!
I have yet to fix the cooling system up however I ran the unit on startup and it seems to fault out on the self-test for the flash lamp.... http://laserpointerforums.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Having opened up the unit, I have attached pictures of the lot, including the flash bulb. (Don't worry. I have not touched it, just held it by the plastic holder. To me the tube looks fine? al-bit the connectors on each end are a little corroded....
It does have a Q-Switch and some very fancy looking water cooled optics under the black cover (that I probibly shouldn't have removed?)
Judging by the electronics. I have a feeling I will need to work out exactly how this whole thing works and redesign the control board as there is a lot of complex functions on it that I can't / won't use. (broken display unit etc.)
I'm rather excited to get this I hope I can fix it but all is not lost if I can't (it was 'only' £260) I wonder if I could Diode pump it if all goes wrong with the flash pumping circuit.
I'm fairly understanding of safety precautions in general, my other main 'hobby' is high voltage, I have a 70kV x-ray transformer plus a few others including a potential transformer.
I am somewhat of a collector of 'cool things' Well, I have a few projects I'm gradually saving up components for (Ion mill, fusor, SLS printer, laser cutter)
Some background to establish who I am on this and what experiences I have:
I'm 19Yrs, I work for a company as an Electronic / Applications Engineer and do a fair bit of electronics / CAD work there including motor design, drive design, demo design, microcontroller programming etc.
I have good experience with power electronics (500J+ capacitors, 70kV transformers, heavy duty switching power stages)
I'm currently doing an HNC in EE.
I have access to plenty of power supplies, oscilloscopes etc.
Attachment 50409Attachment 50410Attachment 50411
Attachment 50412Attachment 50413Attachment 50414
Attachment 50418Attachment 50419Attachment 50415
Attachment 50416Attachment 50417