Ok, I'll re-phrase. I suppose that the cheapest way to get 100mw 635-640nm red is to buy a DVD burner, get the LD out of it and put it in a aixiz housing. Does anyone know of a DVD burner that runs 635-640nm?
Thanks,
Steve
Printable View
Ok, I'll re-phrase. I suppose that the cheapest way to get 100mw 635-640nm red is to buy a DVD burner, get the LD out of it and put it in a aixiz housing. Does anyone know of a DVD burner that runs 635-640nm?
Thanks,
Steve
AFAIK, they are all 658nm
The Mitsubishi 641nm diodes are pretty expensive, I got quoted nearly $300AUD ea
Thanks Dave. I'll pursue another venue, then.
I can imagine their price for a 645:eek: ;)
Can't you shift a diodes wavelength a little using temperature, but end up loosing efficientcy? :confused:
...............oops, wrong thread- sorry
I think by a couple of nm but not anything too significant..Quote:
Can't you shift a diodes wavelength a little using temperature
What power levels were these Dave?Quote:
The Mitsubishi 641nm diodes are pretty expensive, I got quoted nearly $300AUD ea
Hmmm- That would appear as bright as a 430mW 660 nM according to calculations.
Anyone could double-check my math?
hmm...doing 641nm in a maxyz module has been VERY nice!!
In a maxyz are these 645nm-laserdiodes (150mW)?
@steve
Soooo much?? I dont think...
Thats correct, allthatwhichis!
dual setup of 645nm module using the maxyz design WOW!!!
Howz about it Chuck? (We know the price will probably double of course) But some of us may have to save our pennies and nickels for 1 or 2:)
< I believe the Maxyzs are designated 658nm if I remember correctly>
P1t8ul posted in another thread that the bare diodes cost just over $300 each. That's got to be at least double (if not more) the cost of the 660 nm diodes that Marconi uses for the Maxyz modules. So these would be rather pricey reds...
Still, it would be a way to get more apparent brightness...
Adam
Dave said earlier $300 AUD , which is 255.50 USD, I believe.
I'd like to put them along with 2 658nm into something like this.
(does anybody know how they collimate in such a small space?)
I think that you could build a very small and powerful projector using mounts like this:
misa want!!!
Pretty nice
Yeah, metoo:)
I borrowed those pix from this thread
Isn't with that configuration the final beam would ended up a lot fatter? I notice they align two beams very closely to each other along X axis and the other two are along the Y axis (the second diode from the right is seated slightly lower). So the dot would ended up about 4 times bigger than the individual beams. If only there is a way to collimate a direct diode at 1mm diameter, then this is the way to go :D!
I was thinking that they were 2 diff wavelengths e.g. 650 and 660.
That may be wrong..I dunno
The nm of the diodes doesn't matter, in the configuration in that picture you could use any frequency you like, so long as they are linearly polarized.
What I was thinking of is 1 650 Vpol, 1 650 Hpol, 1 660 Vpol, 1 660 Hpol, 2 BS cubes and combine them all with a 3d BS cube.
would the 3rd BS cube have to be a dichroic with a very narrow bandwidth (is that the right word?) to transmit 650 and reflect 660 like you would in an RGB with the other colours? I'd have thought that the polarization would become random after the first set of PBS's so you wouldn't be able to combine them again with a PBS.
I see what you're thinking, but you the 3rd PBS will not work as your trying to mix (now) randomly polarised beams :(
Randomly polarized, but at 2 different wavelengths. The BS cube.. oh , right.. nevermind. Well, don't they make a 50/50 cube that accepts random pol? Or, as Lampy said, a dichro with sharp cutoff.. This is going to get expensive.. :/
It's not easy, the biggest problem to overcome is spherical aberrations when using so many optics to shape the beam into a tight one...
Thats why the pro lasers are so fekkin expensive :eek:
Right-O:)
Here is a non-polarizing BS cube, though. I dont know if this would work or not.
http://www.lightmachinery.com/catalo...2beamsplitters
This is interesting. I wonder what the diode power level is?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-S201-Aut...QQcmdZViewItem
I think what MediaLas did is similar to what Marconi did with his quad maxyz.
How bout this one... If I only had the $ and the expertise to make it work. :rolleyes:
Nice diode, but for our use it's the age old problem; 500mW is good power, but at 670nm you out on the edge of the human eye's sensitivity :(
A Mitsubishi ML520G51 (150mW of 640nm) would look considerably brighter, consume a fraction of the power and you would get a better beam profile when collimated - all for the same kind of $'s. The picture with the 500mW beam next to the 457nm 75mW beams speaks volumes.
Sorry boys, you gotta keep lookin' ;)
and there is always the balloon popping factor... 500mW:150mW... :rolleyes: ;)
Sample price $250 - I might have to go for this one..
http://global.mitsubishielectric.com...07/mel0684.pdf
Does anyone know where to get these collimators? (I can probably get the mounts machined) but the collimators look very small and great. And do they accept the 5.6mm cans?
Thanks,
Steve
You can get those from alltronics. Under the laser section. They are the same ones marconi uses I believe.
Damn! That's a neat site:) they got all kinds of stuff.
Is this HK-10 the one? How do you tell if the slow/ fast axis alignment and na are compatible with, say, a Mitsubishi ML520G51 diode?
.................................................. ..................................
..talking to myself..
I requested a sample price of the 641nm diode and the Mitsu sales rep emailed me back
hehe, let's see...:)Quote:
Good afternoon Steve
Please supply the following information and we will be happy to supply you a sample free of charge.
- Program name
- Estimated annual usage when in production
- Target date for prototype
- Target date for production
- Application
Sincerely,
Ray Masters
Beacon Electronics Associates
rmasters@beaconmail.com
Heh... I would like to make... a, as is one, laser... :rolleyes: :D I doubt that is the response they are expecting... but. ;)
That capacitor idea is seriously nice. I use the 2.5V types directly across diodes, but this idea is very good. It places a lot of demand on the switch, but a changeover reed relay might do it if you limit input current surges. Not too sure on the lifetime though. Probably ok with a large value cap because it won't have to switch faster than a few Hz. (Better that than too slow, you want to reduce transients when switching caps).
Also, a resistor between the switched caps and the last one before the LM317. Those caps have a high ESR so you'll see transients on the LM317 input when you switch in a full cap. A resistor in series before the last cap will slow that down so the LM317 should smooth it out ok.
Check with a scope. And double check. It might not work as you hope.
Good idea. Switching high current DC will arc and carbonize the relay contacts. This is draft 1. Thanks for the input. All ideas are welcome. That's why I put it out here. The caps I've found (Newark electronics)
claim to have very low ESR. I'll order the parts, dust off the 'scope and experiment with a cheap LD 1st:)
<edit> the resistor in the LM317 is in the wrong place.:o I'll post Rev2 soon. I may even go to solid state instead of the relay, but I like the relay (will be noisy tho) because of the zero volt drop vs 0.7V or worse in semiconductors. I stay away from reed relays usually except for very low current applications. I'll probably go with an industrial duty DPDT rated at >10 amps or so.
The rate wont be a few Hz, It should be switching only once every 5 seconds (0.2 Hz); increasing relay life.
Yes, nothing works like you think it will in the electronic design world..
Anyone who designs and builds something and it works flawlessly the 1st time is either extremely lucky or a super-genious engineer;)
- Program name Laser for me
- Estimated annual usage when in production 1
- Target date for prototype sometime.. i dunno..when i feel ike it, ir when i have some screwing around time:)
- Target date for production same answer- see above
- Application LASER FOR ME Dammit, cant you read?? This is getting redundant!!:D
Think that'll go over well? :)
Has anyone tried combining 200mW 635 & 200mW 655/660 through a PBS?
There's nothing stopping you from using a PBS to do that, but a really good dichro would accomplish the same thing. (Don't know how expensive a "reflect 660, pass 635" dichro would cost, but I'm thinking it would be about on par with what new PBS cubes cost.) It would need to be a custom dichro though; not sure who you'd need to contact for that. (Doubt that Edmund's would have it.)
Adam
So in theory, you could combine 2 of those with a dichro, another 2 with a second dichro and then use a PBS for 800mw of red.
EDIT: Wheres Marconi?:D:D