wHEN,
WHERE , HOW ?
i NEED A LASERCATION.
sTEVE
Printable View
wHEN,
WHERE , HOW ?
i NEED A LASERCATION.
sTEVE
Hi Steve!
SELEM 2008 will be held on Saturday, August 16th and Sunday, August 17th, in the Newton Conover Civic and Performance Place Auditorium. This is the same place we used last year.
Load in / setup for any heavy equipment will be on Friday, August 15th, from noon 'til 5 PM. Then we'll have our traditional "pre-SELEM dinner party" at the Artist's Cafe (just a couple blocks from the auditorium) starting at 6 PM Friday night. And just like last year, we'll plan on moving over to the lounge above the bar after dinner for cigars, drinks, and stimulating conversation...
SELEM officially kicks off at 10 AM Saturday, and will run until we get tired, or midnight - which ever comes first. Then we start up again on Sunday at 10 AM and run until around 5 or 6 PM. Tear-down and load out for any heavy equipment will need to be done on Sunday afternoon.
Cost per person, guest lists, door prizes, raffles, and other information will be posted soon. But mark you calender now! :D
Edit: Cost per person has been nailed down! The cost is $25 (payed in advance), and for that you'll get an official SELEM 2008 shirt. (If you want extra shirts, they cost $20 each.) Once you've payed your $25, you will be eligible to participate in the raffle for the 200 mw CNI dpss blue laser. (Note: you do not need to be present at SELEM in order to win the raffle, but you do need to be present to win one of the door prizes.) See this thread for more details on SELEM 2008.
Adam
Good to know I'll start saving up. :)
This could be my first LEM ...
never ever gonna be a Europe laser meet ? :)
I think we will be donating a few bits as door prizes, and I have been talking with Adam about the possibility of doing a raffle on a 200mw blue.. Stay tuned!
Well, the cat is out of the bag, folks! Yeah, LaserShowParts.com is planning to sponsor the event again. They've got a few door prizes in mind, and we're trying to get a raffle going on a blue laser. No firm details just yet, but things are happening behind the scenes. Edit: The raffle has started! Check it out.
SELEM 2008 is going to be a great event. We've got a much better sound system this time around. Also, we'll have a theatrical scrim to play with. And the theater has replaced the cloth screen at the back of the stage (the one we were projecting on), so that should look a lot better.
So mark you calenders now folks! August 15th through the 17th! Plan on arriving Friday afternoon so you can get a room and have time to relax before you go to the pre-SELEM dinner party Friday night. (Trust me, you *don't* want to miss this dinner party - it's a BLAST!) Figure on staying through Sunday afternoon, and then either driving back Sunday evening, or flying out Monday morning if you've got a longer travel distance. (Charlotte airport is just 45 minutes away.)
There will be a small cost per member to attend, just like last year, to help defray the cost of renting the auditorium for the weekend. Details to follow shortly. Edit: See this thread for info on how to sign up for SELEM 2008 for just $25.
Adam
I think us Brits are more traditional with our hols and there will always be someone on their two week shutdown for a break in Majorca no matter which date is picked.
Mind you, a summer date would be a bit warmer than the Feb one as it was a wee bit parky in that club.
Where's our Glorious leaders to take up the mantle of organisation for UKLEM 3? :p
You raffle a blue and I'll buy every POSSIBLE ticket.
(if I get the ^%$# medical bills paid ;-) )
Steve Roberts
Yeah the med bills are eating up the friggin' laser budget !#$%^&*<>^&*!!! At least a nice bluey's here now.. The projector wont be built in time tho.. ahh well , maybe selem '09... I'm still working on those G-124s (Steve..) right after installing the top half lasers (Bottom PSUs are done .. thank G.) -Whew-
Steve, do you need amps for the G-124's? How many G-124's do you have?
I was going to point him in your direction... ;)
Hey Y'all--
(2) G124's-- I'm just going to power them with bi-polar (heh) audio amp chips unless you-all have got something really small--space is at a premium now...
Eww... Those g124 amps look fairly large, but from the video of DZ's in action I would say they are the best for those scanners. I would make room for them. ;)
I have a pair of single channel g-124 amps on a nice mount. I haven't tested them yet. They will probably do between 8-12K maybe. Great for beams. $50 plus say $5 to ship.
DZ, I assume you scored a vintage beamtable somewhere?
I did. It was more of a graphics/effects projector. I've completely stipped it down and want to rebuild it into a beam projector with 2 scan heads. I figured it would be a fun challenge. I was going to see about putting an FB3 in it, but found out the FB3 wont control actuators, so now I'm thinking of a combination of FB3 and a seperate DMX card to run the actuators or something else, maybe just build my own controller for it. I also need to figure out a laser for the thing, the thing once had an ionics on it, so it can hold a big gas tube, but I don't know if I want the hassle of an ion. The GB for the 1W unit from Frank is looking very tempting...
DZ,
I have a nice 350mw Omnichrome Argon with PS....works !!!...If you wanna go back with gas !!!....Errrr....and ....good price !! PM me...
BoB
Thanks DZ- I'm $ wiped at the moment- will get back to U on thoze when I can- S
No problem steve.
Getting somewhat back on topic, I was looking through my toolbox last night and I found 2 mystery items that don't belong to me. One is a phillips head screw driver and the other is a nice multi-led flashlight. Sorry that its taken me this long to realize I had someones stuff! Whoever they belong to, I'd be glad to drop them in the mail to you, just send me a pm.
OK the third RGB is finished and stacked with the others. I have use a lot of leftovers from the other two and things I have had in the cabinets. This is where the Norms driver finally found a home also. It has a 50 mw 473nm that was sold and I baught it back{too low power for the guy-wanted more} , a repaired 80mw 532 making 30 mw of green with a smaller diode, and a 165mw 660nm diode. The balance is a little off....but it will do. The cabinet measurements are 16" x 7.5" x 3.5". All will attend SELEM and the red effects generator might be done as well. I have finally closed on a house in a flying community and will be spending a bit more time where I like to be...Flying! Time to build a hangar....or toy box as the wife calls it. Here are a few pix of the little 250mw collection of parts.......
That is very NICE! Analog ot TTL? You need to share with us some pictures of it working... ;)
Mike....very nice and compact RGB!!! What's next ?mmmm???? A morph/next gen of your hand held RGB....now to sport a micro-mini scanner head + support electronics + a build in speech to text programme ( like Dragon )....lika ..." Mr.Microphone...gone wild ".....Why not ????? HAHA...Another CDBEAM original(= Hair-brained Ider )....SCHAZAMM !!!.....Nice unit....more pics ...please !!! Selem should be BLAST !!
" ab incunabulis...Lux Magna !! "
CDBEAM !!
Great stuff, Mike! Very compact.
I agree with Aaron though - we need to see photos of that thing in operation!
Adam
How far is the meeting place from the nearest airport? Where is the nearest airport? Are hotel prices reasonable there? If I can get a decent fare on an airplane ticket maybe I will go.
Hi Gary;
The nearest airport is in Charlotte. It's 45 minutes by car from the venue. Charlotte is a huge hub for US Air, but there are other airlines
that fly in there as well.
If there are any rooms left, I suggest you stay at the Trott House Inn. It's a Bed and Breakfast that is only 3 blocks away from the venue. Great place to stay for only 90 bucks per night. But that place fills up fast, and there may not be any rooms left...
The hotels in the area around the venue are reasonable; less than 6 miles away (just off Interstate 40) there are plenty of hotels for around 80 bucks per night. (Not rat traps, but decent hotels like Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn with high speed Internet and free breakfast.) If you're willing to drive a couple miles further (about 10 miles or so) you can find cheaper places like Red Roof, Super 8, and so on.
There are other regional airports in the area that are smaller, but if you can find a flight into one of those airports (Asheville, Winston-Salem, Greenboro, or even Raleigh-Durham) you might be able to save some money on the flight. But you'd end up having to drive longer to get to the venue. (The first three are about an hour and 15 minutes away, but Raleigh would be a 2 hour + commute one way.)
It's probably best to stay in the Newton - Connover - Hickory area. Hotels are cheaper, and you're close to the venue. You could stay in Charlotte and drive 45 min each day to the venue if you wanted to, but you'll pay a lot more for a hotel in the city.
Here's a link to the venue. The outside might look a little dumpy, but if you look at the gallery pictures you'll see that the inside is quite nice.) You can use mapquest or google maps to sort of get the lay of the land... Newton has all the normal attractions of a medium size town; it's not exactly hicksville USA. But it's still only a city of like 30,000 or so. Lots of small-town charm.
Also, don't forget about the pre-SELEM dinner party at The Artist's Cafe on Friday, August 15th, at 6 PM. Trust me when I say that this is a party you don't want to miss! (I've already spoken with Louie, the owner of the resteraunt, and he has us on the schedule; we'll have the entire upstairs area to ourselves again - just like last year.) So if you do decide to come to SELEM, try to schedule it so that you're in town in time to make it to the dinner party Friday night.
Adam
Thanks for the info. Which is bigger SELEM or FLEM? I would like to hit one of them but it will probably be a one time deal so want to get the most bang for the buck.
SELEM is bigger by far. For one, it's a 2 day event. Also, the venue is much larger, so we can have more equipment running at the same time. Finally, we get a larger draw for SELEM than we do for FLEM. So yeah, if you had to pick one, it would be SELEM.
Adam
PS: We also have door prizes at SELEM!;)
SELEM is a much bigger event, although the attendance was close to the same for both events. Maybe more family at SELEM. SELEM has a much bigger venue. :cool:
Aaron;
Only the latest FLEM (Mark II) came close to matching the number of people we had at SELEM last year. The Florida meets have been growing larger each time we have one, but we normally only expect around 10 people for those.
SELEM 2008 is shaping up to be much larger. Last year we expected 12 people and got 18. This year we're expecting 18 to 20, so who knows how many we'll end up with!
Adam
Thats great carmangary, I hope you can make it!
I'll be there (at SELEM). ;)
James.