Hi to all!
I have ILDA format specification dated from 2004. Now is 2009 and I think that there were some serious changes for last 5 years. Does anybody have fresh format description?
Printable View
Hi to all!
I have ILDA format specification dated from 2004. Now is 2009 and I think that there were some serious changes for last 5 years. Does anybody have fresh format description?
Hi Sergey,
This is one of the most frustrating things to me. Patrick and I both worked on the updated document, and Laser Animation Sollinger and a few others gave some great input as well. It should be posted to the ILDA web site soon, but when?
How about if you contact ILDA and see if you can help to accelerate this...
Best regards,
William Benner
Hi William,
ILDA offers technical information only for their members. I've just intended to know more about reading and writing .ild files(especially format#4 and #5) and not intended to be member.
Anyway thanks for reply.
Hi Sergey,
Hmmm. Yes, I guess you are right. But as I am sitting here writing this, I wonder how much sense that really makes. Maybe it makes sense, and maybe not. As I am sitting here, I can't really rationalize why ILDA would want to keep the information private. But then again, I just got up, so maybe I am not thinking clearly :rolleyes:.
I still think it would be worthwhile for you to contact ILDA about this and ask. It could be that, after you ask, ILDA would consider revisiting this policy.
On a completely separate topic, why wouldn't you want to become an ILDA member? The membership fee for the individual level is pretty low, and there are a lot of benefits, not the least of which are discounts on products and, of course, access to members-only portions of the web site. As I am sitting here writing this, I am trying to figure out why someone would want access to file format data, and not want to become a member of the organization that promulgates it?
Best regards,
William Benner
Howdy,
I brief explanation from James Lehman: http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/ilda_file_format.html . Email him and I am sure he will be willing to help you out, I don't know if he is posting here on PL anymore after some silliness.
-Adam
I am not sure if this is the kind of help he would be looking for, actually...
James doesn't have the latest document from ILDA either, seems to be unwilling to become an ILDA member, and seems to have some mental blocks about Format 4 and 5 (including an unwillingness to accept the history, that Format 4 and 5 pre-dated Format 3 by about six months, and that the modified header for Format 3 pre-dated LaserBoy by about two years)...
For official ILDA documentation, I think it is best to try ILDA first. I think that's the best approach. Otherwise it's like trying to get a GM service manual from the guy down the street, who owns a Ford...
Best regards,
William Benner
Bill,
why would "the latest documentation" be any different from any other doc?.. its an open standard, that does not change does it?
FYI: Laserboy writes to format 4 and 5 just fine... his mental block is with "format 3" so if you going post negatively about him, please at least be accurate concerning his specific brand of crazy.
Sergey,
im sure James would be more than willing to help you out with this as he has been writing ilda with his program for years... its open source too.
More info can be found here
http://akrobiz.com/laserboy/forum
Come on dude - Sergey asks specifically about the latest ILDA file format description with the most recent changes, which would be coming from - guess who! - the ILDA!
Bill addressed that specific question quite appropriately.
No mention of who's file format is best, who's software is best, etc.
It's been nice and quiet and, for the most part, quite pleasant for most folks hanging out here in recent weeks.
Mind if we keep it that way?
no problem keeping the peace.. but idfont think that making assumptions obout peoples mental blocks is appropriate conversation in this thread.. especially since bill knows that the statements will go unchallenged.. or at least thought they be unchallenged.. ;)
if the standard is OPEN why would james not have current documentation.... am i missing something about open standards??
Hehe. Was it an assumption, or a well-established fact? :D
They can't be challenged because they are facts. It's like challenging the speed of light, or additive color... Of course this digression is not helping to provide an answer to the question so I will stop right there. :D:D
Well, as I am siting here, I am wondering a bit what "Open standard" even means. I have to say, I am an old man so, maybe it's just over my head. Perhaps some people can give examples of an "open standard" and then I will see.
Nevertheless, I don't think that ILDA is necessarily an "open standard". I mean, it's certainly not "open" for anyone to make changes, or for that matter, to publish the document. The changes must be made by the technical committee, and then the document must be published by ILDA. I can say the EXACT same thing about the DMX-512 standard and ESTA, and many of the same lessons (and very time consuming additions) are parallels here as well. Do we consider DMX-512 to be an "open standard"?
Like I say, it really depends on what the word "open" even means.
In the case of DMX-512, it could be that ESTA makes the standards document available to everyone, even non-members. If that's the case, then it could be said that DMX-512 is "open" to the public. But at least for now, if what Sergey says is true, the ILDA file format document itself is only available to members, so in that way the ILDA format isn't even "open" to the public.
Bill
Hi guys! I'd like to thank everybody and to say I have already got the document.
Bill..
FYI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standards
and this...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1005114024.htm
ESTA charges 75$ for DMX512 standards and aggressively hunts down anybody who publishes it on the web.
ANSI Z136 laser safety is pay to play was well.
only federal performance standards and rules are free.
why should ILDA be any different?
Steve
good question...
The answer is simple...... PDF, DOCX, SVG, BMP, WAV...
now MS made the DOC proprietary and eventually had to move to an OPEN format (the DOCX) after the format war with open office.
Im not saying there is gonna be a format war... ok well maybe I am saying that without a truly open standard.. there could be a format war.. and ILDA would win but would be forced to make the standard open.