ILT 5500A Questions and Help
Please excuse my lack of knowledge...
I own an an ILT 5500A capable of putting out 500mw but is only putting out 100mw due to cathode sag in the beam path. It is $1500 to rebuild with the new "non sag" improved cathode. Is there a less expensive way to fix it? I was thinking of running it and using a magnet to help bend the cathode back or???? Have not been able to find a schematic on this laser so don't know much. I sent it off to the shop so I do not have it here to take apart... Thanks :eek:
One thing I forgot to mention and it may be the cause
One thing I forgot to mention there are three Jacks on the side. The first says interlock which I have a factory shunt that is made for it if you remove it doesn’t start at all. The second being a holder which is the wand and has a manual toggle switch, when this is thrown this makes it run for three seconds and shuts down. The third jack says foot switch and it has four male conductive pins in the same type of jack as the others. I don’t have this attachment. It dawned on me being a medical laser do you think it may be protocol to have to keep your foot on the switch to keep the laser active? In case a physician loses consciousness he or she won’t do as much damage to a patient. I’m only a junior member if granted permission I would happily upload some helpful photos I have taken. Again the Curtis meter bubble is parked real close at 250 hrs. The max is 10,000 hrs. Thanks in advance. :)
[QUOTE=mixedgas;219092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Stoney3K
But if the gas pressure is too low, it will either not start or have trouble starting, or run for a very short while and then 'sputter out', right?
If it runs for about 3 seconds and dies, and the supply is fine, it can have low gas pressure AND a blocked gas return bore. While not a symptom on most smaller lasers, this does happen on larger tubes. Gas is pumped rapidly around the tube, and small internal gas feeds have to exist. The feeds can get blocked, or on air cooleds, shorted out, by deposits forming inside the tube, from erosion or plasma etching.
Without running a really good check, I can only go from what the OP is presenting. If the PSU is good, with another head, it needs to be in the head, provided the heads match. If the head electronics are fine, its the tube.
Ignite, run, lase, plasma dies in 1-10 seconds, is a symptom of a gas or magnetic field problem in larger tubes.
This OP has a water cooled tube, with external magnet, and a air cooled power supply, if he has the compact PSU. I mentioned the fans because ILT used some interesting interlocks some times.
Steve