Mildren and Sabella in Oz just did raman Shifiting of 532 to 573 nm 1.2 watts at 5 khz and and 63% conversion. Of course this was qswitched excitation.
Sept 10 issue of Optics Letters.
Printable View
Mildren and Sabella in Oz just did raman Shifiting of 532 to 573 nm 1.2 watts at 5 khz and and 63% conversion. Of course this was qswitched excitation.
Sept 10 issue of Optics Letters.
OHHHHHHHH....... We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of..Quote:
Oz
Didn't know they built lasers in the emerald city..:p
interesting news, though.
I thought this thread was going to be culinary based. :D
Seriously though, how does Raman shifting actually work, is it some kind of doping?
As in plasma CVD?
such lasers are awesome!
I had a look at some raman lasers and raman amplifiers, a further look might be worth the pain, we might find some interesting applications for visible radiations (eg. amplifying a 150mW 642nm red diode to the watt range, if possible)
fiber lasers are also really interresting, as 440nm light has been produced by a ZBLAN fiber, pumped by 1310nm, and a spontaneous emission of 670nm has been observed after half an hour of self-built SHG process, if I recall, which has been proved to be acceleratable by pre-pumping a seed 670nm radiation to "learn" the fiber
I'm pretty curious as to whether this will work on CW lasers as well. Hate to think of having a Q-switch inside my projector...
I am wondering about the old school gas cell Raman shifters, I think H2 or D2, given a 532nm pump, have shifts that would get you a reasonable red, and if pumped at 355nm you could get red, green and blue from the first three stokes lines....
355nm -> Raman cell with high pressure H2 fill -> 415.9, 502.9, and 635.9 nm
In fact the stokes shift when pumped with 532 is interesting, and (if it could be encouraged to the point of reasonable efficiency) the anti stokes shift also has possibilities.
Now granted, producing an interesting amount of 355 is not easy, and the gas cell would be about a meter long, but it is a thought.
Regards, Dan.
I always wondered if a KTP had good enough beam quality to do that. 3500 psi of hydrogen is not that big a problem.
And a certain "surplus" person here gets lots of UV solid state.
I didnt want to admit this, but I have a Japanese paper on good conversion red raman (20-30%) in ordinary liquid phase DM%O. And that was without a resonator. Think what it might do in a resonant delta configuration. 645 nm red.
I'm not gonna say a thing more, as I don't want Allen to have red, or access to DM%O for that matter. I'm leaving out enough details that it wont happen.
AND NOT ONE PERSON HERE IS GONNA SAY WHAT DM%O is in ANY thread.
Steve
For a straight red from a KTP, I would have thought that using flowing R6g or similar would give reasonable efficiency (and probably a better beam then you started with).
Granted the stokes cell has the advantage of being less heavy on the moving parts, and in your liquid version the chemical is more benign then the R6g. I wonder if you could get DM%O to do anti stokes at even halfway reasonable efficiency?
Wonders over, opens a cover, eyes the empty space where the second train used to be speculatively....
BTW: I understand that there actually was a prototype KTP built for second harmonic of the 1300nm line (650 red), but performance was disapointing (no suprprise, supressing the 1064 in a Q switched 1.3um rig must have been heroic).
Regards, Dan.
BTW: I understand that there actually was a prototype KTP built for second harmonic of the 1300nm line (650 red), but performance was disapointing (no suprprise, supressing the 1064 in a Q switched 1.3um rig must have been heroic).
end quote
13 watt red mod. I know who did it. Missed seeing it by a week. I think they were on the 671 transition.
Since we no longer can freely discuss KTP, I'll PM you.
Steve
thanks guys for all theese info, that will make my day on google >_< (will tell my gf it was you!)
raman, shifting, stokes and antistokes will be my next learning subject
I think Allen should go buy a bunch of DM%O immediately. He'll need some acetone and some lab glassware too... ANd he should use his credit card when he does it.