Thread: Uniphase 2114B to 2114A 230V to 115V conversion...

Default Uniphase 2114B to 2114A 230V to 115V conversion...

Okay, I have two Uniphase 2114 Ion laser supplies. One non functional 115V unit and one working 230V unit. I want to make one working 115V power supply. It it as simple as swapping the main transformer or is it more than that?
    Thanks!
    Adam

The two small power supplies I've worked with were interchangeable. One even has a switch on the outside, but the other has a few switches/jumpers on the inside. Have a look. Just be sure to switch all of them if there are more than one. For example, the cooling fan may need to be connected to a different circuit inside.

Yeah, I just wish I knew what these jumpers and switches were for. Anyone got a service manual? Both supplies look very similar inside except for a board in the upper right, front of the PSU. One has two pots on it, the other does not. Also, on the MOSFET heatsink, one PSU has an extra board with some toroid choke and a couple transistors. I feel I'm going to smoke something if I'm not careful.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Yeah, I just wish I knew what these jumpers and switches were for. Anyone got a service manual? Both supplies look very similar inside except for a board in the upper right, front of the PSU. One has two pots on it, the other does not. Also, on the MOSFET heatsink, one PSU has an extra board with some toroid choke and a couple transistors. I feel I'm going to smoke something if I'm not careful.
    "Welcome , My son, Welcome, to the Machine"

Ah yes, the famous "personality" daughter board. If you could hack that, you'd be a hero... Nope narry has a JDSU service manual ever been seen outside of the plant in Asia and whereever they do their engineering in the US. I can get you more details about the SR71 Blackbird then I can a JDSU. Supposed to keep the psu board the same and change "personailities" to match different tubes, as I understand it. Thats as far as I ever got with it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Damn, and I was all ears thinking that converting these psus to 120v operation was easy and that I had just missed something

I remember my first experience with voltage conversion at 3 years old when I questioned what would happen when I flipped the 115 to 230 switch on the hair dryer to see what happens.

Well, at least you're going down in voltage. It's less likely to blow something if you power a 240V circuit with 120V than if you power a 120V circuit with 240V, right? They've got plenty of fuses that should help if you forget a connection. Do you see any switches/jumpers inside that are labeled?

Good news! After dissecting the 115V PS to begin swapping parts, I found that one of the control cards had some bent pins. (not my doing...) So, I put it back together and now it lights the tube. Looks like I won't have to strip and swap now. Thanks for the input everyone.
    Adam
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 02-09-2010 at 20:17.

Congrats Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

"Looks like I won't have to strip and swap now. "

Why were you even thinking about such kinky behavior

Just kiddin.....

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...