Thread: Lumia wheels - inside or outside the projector?

Default Lumia wheels - inside or outside the projector?

Hi guys, this question has been keeping me up for a few nights.

Do you normally build lumia wheels and other effects on the inside of the projector? Or the outside? It cleaner and more safe to build them on the inside, but I wonder if the diffraction might spread wider than the projector's apperature in some cases and get clipped. If the effects are on the inside, then you need to set aside space on the beam table for them.

I'm thinking that lumia effect devices would be better as something that sits outside the main projector and perhaps attaches to the side. Does that sound right?

Been looking through old threads but I haven't seen many pictures of actual lumia devices. (this is actually a sweet thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ighlight=lumia)

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject,
    Mike

Mike;

Most commercial projectors keep everything on the inside, for two reasons. 1) it's easier to keep things clean if they're inside the projector, and 2) it's easier to prevent things from getting smashed if they're inside the projector.

Still, you could mount your lumia or diffraction grating effect on the outside of your projector if you wanted to. There's no real advantage to this, however. (Other than ease of installation, perhaps.)

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Still, you could mount your lumia or diffraction grating effect on the outside of your projector if you wanted to. There's no real advantage to this, however. (Other than ease of installation, perhaps.)

Adam[/QUOTE]

One neat thing about inside, is you can variance a "black box" and make changes easily.
    Outside has issues because if you have to mask beams to comply with regulations, you have a problem.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it's best to put everything inside the enclosure. you don't want your fragile glass bits being smashed to pieces.

here's a few shots of a lumia projector i built: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp?albumid=141

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    Hi guys, this question has been keeping me up for a few nights.

Do you normally build lumia wheels and other effects on the inside of the projector? Or the outside? It cleaner and more safe to build them on the inside, but I wonder if the diffraction might spread wider than the projector's apperature in some cases and get clipped. If the effects are on the inside, then you need to set aside space on the beam table for them.

I'm thinking that lumia effect devices would be better as something that sits outside the main projector and perhaps attaches to the side. Does that sound right?

Been looking through old threads but I haven't seen many pictures of actual lumia devices. (this is actually a sweet thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ighlight=lumia)

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject,
    Mike
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thanks for the info guys. What you are saying about keeping things dust free and non-broken makes sense. I'll allocate some space inside my enclosure in between the scanner block and the enclosure aperture. I want my projector to be versatile and lumia wheels seem to add so much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

One neat thing about inside, is you can variance a "black box" and make changes easily.
    Outside has issues because if you have to mask beams to comply with regulations, you have a problem.

Steve
    Oh interesting, I didn't realize you could variance the effects in your laser like this but it makes sense. If I understand correctly, the variance document would say something like "4 lumia wheels, each rotating with a stepper motor controlled by ..., with each motor/wheel assembly moved in and out of position by a servo controlled by ..." Or does it need to be more specific than that? Or less?

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    it's best to put everything inside the enclosure. you don't want your fragile glass bits being smashed to pieces.

here's a few shots of a lumia projector i built: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...hp?albumid=141
    Thanks for the pics. Looks great!

Mike

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=blowfly;135155]Thanks for the info guys. What you are saying about keeping things dust free and non-broken makes sense. I'll allocate some space inside my enclosure in between the scanner block and the enclosure aperture. I want my projector to be versatile and lumia wheels seem to add so much potential.

Oh interesting, I didn't realize you could variance the effects in your laser like this but it makes sense. If I understand correctly, the variance document would say something like "4 lumia wheels, each rotating with a stepper motor controlled by ..., with each motor/wheel assembly moved in and out of position by a servo controlled by ..." Or does it need to be more specific than that? Or less?
    end quote

On ours it specifies a emission area location and the type of warning, the safety is taken care of by cutting/making a mask at each show site. No need to be so specific.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...