Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Show

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    big breasted women, get the picture?? LOL
    since I don't know very well America...yes !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If you are doing a show in Europe you need a tiny state of the art OPSL

(just kidding!)

If I were not working in the Land of the Cheap and home of the Brave, I could afford and use a OPSL.

To give you a idea how much greed influences things here, I go to the doctor, today. I get a new med, with a new dosage, twice the old dose. I go to the Pharmacy.. Get to the cash register. Your copay with insurance will be 89$.. For those in socialized medicine countries, a copay is the portion your insurance expects YOU to pay. EIGHTY NINE DOLLARS? I switched to this med because it is generic (means its a clone) and its on the 4$ a month list, unlike the 120$ a month stuff I was first prescribed. Last month it was 18$ for half the dose.... I ask, whats the uninsured price.... I DONT have insurance.. Oh, I'll see, after a phone call to corporate something or the other, the Pharmacist's assistant tells me 10$ for a 90 day supply at TWICE the dose... OK, can I have 8$ back for the overcharge for last month???????

So if somebody makes money at a rave here, it is the promoter and the person selling bottled water for 4$ a bottle.. If the venue is public, or serves food, water, by law, is supposed to be available in small amounts for free. Its 35-65 cents a bottle in large amounts,,,,
    Not the laserist, who is almost always the least bidder.

Hugo, I think, would go broke in the states in three months...

Steve

Steve.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Hugo, I think, would go broke in the states in three months...
    Without a doubt..

My 2.2 Rgb outdoors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfzj0bT_VM
    I was controlling lights as well. If you concentrate your lights at the bottom and leave upper area dark you can be ok with 5W green.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    In fact, I'd be surprised if the DJ was actually playing that track. More likely a pre-processed piece of audio with timecode, etc for all the effects.
    It's a little off-topic, but you know, almost every time I see a DJ using a laptop I think about that scenario. These days I'm convinced that many of these so-called DJs are just hitting play on their laptop and dancing and twisting knobs like they're actually doing something. I never pay attention closely enough (I've got other more pressing things to think about at the time usually) but I long for the days of vinyl and turntable skillz. DJs who actually use CDs are about the only ones I trust to actually mix songs live.

We just had Eddie Halliwell here, good set, but I'm not sure if he actually "mixed" a single track.. Ableton is very good at facilitating cheating when it comes to beat mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Its 35-65 cents a bottle in large amounts,,,,
    Not the laserist, who is almost always the least bidder.
    Slightly off topic here but I wish we got water at that price!!

At the shows I go to it's £3.00 a bottle ie $4.70 for 500ml - thats less than 1 US pint!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    I long for the days of vinyl and turntable skillz. DJs who actually use CDs are about the only ones I trust to actually mix songs live.
    This is *exactly* why I love watching George Mack (Dream Beamz) mix a set. He still uses turntables, unlike most DJ's these days that fake it. Granted, those LP's he uses are not playing the actual song... Instead, they're sending time-code data to a box that plugs into the computer, so the music is technically coming off the computer. Still, the whole show is controlled not by the computer, but by the DJ and his skill at matching the turntable speeds. (Well, and knowing when to drop the needle, and when to fade the mixer to the other side, and having a general sense of what works and what doesn't....) But there is real talent involved in beat-matching stuff this way, and though there is more hardware involved, the skill is the same. (That is, if you can mix vinyl records, you will be just as good doing it with the vinyl time-code records, even if the songs are on the computer. The computer does *nothing* to help him match beats...)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    This is *exactly* why I love watching George Mack (Dream Beamz) mix a set. He still uses turntables, unlike most DJ's these days that fake it. Granted, those LP's he uses are not playing the actual song... Instead, they're sending time-code data to a box that plugs into the computer, so the music is technically coming off the computer. Still, the whole show is controlled not by the computer, but by the DJ and his skill at matching the turntable speeds. (Well, and knowing when to drop the needle, and when to fade the mixer to the other side, and having a general sense of what works and what doesn't....) But there is real talent involved in beat-matching stuff this way, and though there is more hardware involved, the skill is the same. (That is, if you can mix vinyl records, you will be just as good doing it with the vinyl time-code records, even if the songs are on the computer. The computer does *nothing* to help him match beats...)

Adam
    Nothing wrong with Final Scratch or Serrato or whatever Dream Beamz uses.. That's still mixing the old-fashioned way.

regarding the ableton/serato..... i personally dont think its cheating.
    there is more to dj'ing, than aligning beats, ableton for example allows the dj to become a producer , on the fly, more options to remix and add to the song, than just programming a set.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

True, Serato isn't cheating at all..

Ableton can automatically and permanently beat sync two separate tracks with only very minor user input, so it can cheat.. it's not always used that way, but it can be. Also, you're right Ableton's that useful live, but only if the people actually use it like that. How many guys do you think are just hitting play on a preprogrammed set? A lot! I can guarantee that.

As an example, a well-known DJ was just at a club here last weekend and he really did just hit play. I was watching him the whole time and I know Ableton VERY well (I do some mastering for a couple producers here, and I've done a couple tracks of my own). He didn't do squat. Completely prerecorded set. He jumped around a lot and twisted knobs.. and collected $6000 at the end of the night. I've seen guys spin tracks out of ableton using a midi controller and that handy beat-sync feature. Takes all the skill out of it. If you can't possibly train-wreck, where's the risk? And they're not the first I've seen cheat in one way of another. I remember about 6 years ago a well-known female live act did a show here and the audio to the speakers was coming from a CD in the audio booth.

So to the guys who actually put ableton to use the way it's capable of, kudos.. as for the rest, I want my money back!
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 02-17-2010 at 19:23.