Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laserman532 Rocks!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Here's some beam shots from the dual module I'm building. Pat's combiner is a great piece of kit and I'm having a good time working on it.

I've got things cranked a little low for alignment right now. It's no fun to burn your hand while twiddling the set screws. Only about 300mA per diode. As DZ stated, there is some loss on the cubes. I'm getting about 340mW before the PBS cube and about 285mW after. Laserwave has recently updated their PBS cubes and I'm waiting for more data on them.

One problem I'm having (not related to Pat's work) is the aixiz lenses bounce all over the place if you bump the focus ring or just look at them cross eyed. Is there a PL recommended approach to locking those down? I'm thinking about using a couple of drops of hot glue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dual-on-4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	14433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laser-hand.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	14434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red-beam.jpg 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	14435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beam-long.jpg 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	14436

[QUOTE=mixedgas;135591]
    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Well it's been fun setting up this dual beam combiner. Certainly learned plenty about them. One thing learned is that the particular pbs cube used has a rather high loss. Currently I'm loosing about 35mW per diode, when the diodes are running about 275mW. I was able to get 480mW out of the cube with a diode current of 560mA. I know that running the diode at this current is going to kill it rather quickly, however, when under modulation, I kinda wonder how long it might last. So I'm going to leave it set for this and see what happens.

Only on PL would someone complain about 7% loss. Just being sarcastic...

Remember the good ole days with ION dichros, before we had this nice newer vacuum tech? YOu'd be griping about 20-30% loss.

BEAMSHOTS??? Steve
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Looks great swami...I await some feedback on them PBS cubes as well.

any way I think the school of thought about FLS (floppy lens syndrome) is to make a couple of wraps of teflon tape around lens barrel then screw it in, the number of wraps will be learned by how floppy your syndrome is
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

update: my hot glue idea failed, and i don't have teflon tape handy, but i've gotten things aligned.

292mW @ 600mA drive current (total). beam terminated at 47.4' from the combiner and i'm using the plastic aixiz lens.

awesome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aligned.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	14437

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    Looks great swami...I await some feedback on them PBS cubes as well.

any way I think the school of thought about FLS (floppy lens syndrome) is to make a couple of wraps of teflon tape around lens barrel then screw it in, the number of wraps will be learned by how floppy your syndrome is
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

If you have too much losses with the pbs..you have to only use a mirror.
    Chad Mount are well designed for that.
    Put your two diodes as vertical polarisation and it will run !

Quote Originally Posted by kl79 View Post
    If you have too much losses with the pbs..you have to only use a mirror.
    Chad Mount are well designed for that.
    Put your two diodes as vertical polarisation and it will run !
    kl79,

i'd like to see some examples of this. can you provide a link?

Excuse my bad drawing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sans nom 1.jpg