Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reflection Holograms for Sale

Default Reflection Holograms for Sale

At last I've organised my web site to show a small Gallery of the holograms I'm making, which are for sale

It's my hobby in retirement and I'm just trying to recover the cost of film, chemicals and the odd bit of equipment I need to continue.

All the holograms are H2 image plane reflection copies made from H1 masters I have made in recent years

Many of the holograms have a high content of 'real image' - they nearly poke you in the eye!

To see more, log on to my web site www.jmshome.demon.co.uk and press the 'Holography' button at the bottom of the opening page

BRgds
    John
    Last edited by John Sonley; 05-14-2010 at 11:40. Reason: Error - new web site is: www.johnsonley.myzen.co.uk

Some very nice holograms, do you do requests?

I love holigrams !
    It seems to be a dieing art. I have several some of which are very rare. I like the dried thistle head against a background of dots & large Norwegian Troll.

How large are these pieces?

If you are willing to sell them, how much U.S. and shipping for each?

Lazerjock

WOW!!

Excellent work John! I think this may turn into more than a hobby for you. These seem to be great pieces. As haymaker asked, do you do requests??

What are approximate prices (you can PM me if you so desire) for U.S. customers??

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Also interested, please send prices for custom, and the thistle hologram.
    thanks!

Thank you all so much for your replies:

Haymaker: 'do I do requests' - if it's from any of the holograms in my Gallery then I have already made the H1 master, from which I prepare the white-light viewable hologram. To do the set-up takes about half a day but then I could make a hologram for you

To make a hologram from a new object is much more complex; suitable objects have to be chosen carefully. They need to be:
    1. Small enough to easily fit within a 5" X 4" frame - with about an inch all around
    2. Light in colour and not shiny (specular); I sometimes have to white spray paint objects to get them bright enough
    3. Solid and totally stable against movement
    4. I need the object here in my laboratory
    The time to make this new master from a new object is typically 1 - 2 days

Laserjock - the film I use is 5" X 4", I can't make any larger holograms unless I can find a 9" - 10" diameter plano convex lens, unmarked and unscratched, then I would like to try 5" X 8" holograms - I'm keeping my eyes open. This film is then mounted on a black frame which reduces the image size by 1/8 to 1/4 inch in each dimension.
    Postage charge from the UK - The Royal Mail web site tells me that for a 150 gram package, the cheapest will be Airmail Letter - untracked at £4.23 or Airsure with delivery confirmation at £8.73.
    If you are willing to accept the risk I would usually opt for the cheaper

Marc at gottaluvlasers - you also asked about postage

drlava - you also asked about custom - if it's from one of my Gallery then it's £5.99 + postage, if it's from a new object then my reply to haymaker I think covers it

I think this answers the questions so far

BRgds
    John - www.jmshome.demon.co.uk

Thanks for the quick reply John, but I was also looking at prices to purchase the dried thistle head against a background of dots & large Norwegian Troll.

If you don't want to post prices here you can PM me.
    I think it would be in your best interest to post them here though, it seems there is quite a lot of interest in your art.

Lazerjock

I can personally vouch for the quality of John's holograms, they are *really* nice pieces.

However, I do think John is selling them far too cheaply. They really ought to be at least double the price for the effort that John puts into making them

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem and Laserjock - well, you present me with a dilemma now as to what I should charge for the holograms.
    At the price I display on the web site, £5.99 + postage, that is absolute break-even for film + chemicals - it doesn't really take into account failures, which with frequent changes to the hologram being produced, is considerable, up to 50%, if I do undertake bespoke work .
    Commercial holograms I've seen advertised vary widely in price but £15 - £30 is common - but that's business, with profit and not a hobby.
    With a hobby, the timescale to produce would be my own with no deadlines.
    With a hobby, it's not a production line, it's just one guy in his spare time ......... but I will welcome the opportunity of making small numbers for others ... at my own pace

How does £10 + postage sound?

BRgds

John - www.jmshome.demon.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by John Sonley View Post
    How does £10 + postage sound?

It still sounds like an absolute bargain John
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001