Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RC heli's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rough_img_03..jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	14635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5605_e-revo_snow..jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	14637Not a helly, but i just got one of these last weekend.

Some one broke into my garage and stole my two blades, haven't replaced them yet.
    chad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5605_chassis..jpg  

Last edited by chad; 02-22-2010 at 10:36.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Default rc heli

hey zoof
    dont even try to fly it untill you have done at least 30 hour on a pc simulator
    they are very hard to learn to fly, there are some free flight sims about.
    and when your brave enough for a take off get four ping pong balls and a couple of sticks
    in a cross and tie it to the bottom of the heli and practise a few inches off the ground
    search the net theres loads of tuition stuff about
    but you proberly done this already
    most of all have fun

I fly fixed wing and heli's, current heli's are T-Rex 600 and Raptor 50 both Nitro powered.

I also compete in precision aerobatics (F3A) this is why I cant afford a decent laser setup yet

for me, its been fixed wing / .60 size plane,
    swamp/ propeller boat,
    and last was a 1/4th scale, buggy with a weedwhacker motor , that ran on regular gas....

all sold now, its been a few years, i think its something that i might get into again, when TIME lets me!
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Had a glowplug methanol one back in the early 90s with a motor driven gyro.
    Turned into a time and money sink equal to if not greater than lasers.
    Biggest problems were starting the thing with a belt drive starter and "operator skill" or rather lack of.
    Modern gyros and brushless motors make things somewhat easier but I would start out with a big crossed pair of CF rods with ping-pong balls on the end firmly attached to the skids until you can get the knack of compensating for ground effect as you start to take off. (again gyro helps here)
    And with a few minutes more practice you could be doing this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6F-0rIpLJE
    Lasers and beer don't mix. After 2 beers I lose coherence.

I started with RC gliders, (Supernova and Wildflecken 144), then RC racing cars for a while before giving up for several years. An IT contract with loads of overtime eventually let me fulfill one of my ambitions, to get a PPL(H), so I spent a happy year, and about £10,000, chucking a Robinson R22 around the skies of southern England. During this time, I also built a Morley Huey, in an attempt to get my head round how the swash plate mechanism worked, but it's never flown, as I realised once it was complete that it was entirely unsuitable for a first R/C heli....in fact, it's still sat on top of my bedroom wardrobe, many years later...
    (I gave up flying the real thing when I decided to buy a house, as I couldn't afford both - a very difficult decision at the time, but with hindsight it was the right thing to do, at least from a financial viewpoint).

As a youngster (middle school age) I flew planes (2 channel trainer and later a 4 channel stunter), but quickly lost interest (as kids are known to do) and sold everything after just 2 years. Later, when I was in my 20's, I got into RC racing (1/10 scale off-road). Ended up trying several different cars before settling on the RC-10 from Associated, and had a ton of fun with it.

Fast forward about 6 years, and I decided to bring the old car out of retirement to run it on the street. Lowered the suspension and put foam tires on it and I had a whole new breed. Even picked up an RC-12L (1/12 scale carpet racer) just to fool around with in the driveway. But my kids never got bitten by the RC bug, and with no close friends or neighbors that were into RC racing, I packed everything back up and stuck it all in the closet, where it's been since around 2000 or so. Sigh...

Was always tempted to try RC Heli's, but I knew enough about how hard they were to fly (and how expensive they were to fix when you crashed) that I managed to stay away from them.

Adam

The presence of the laser bug and the rc bug have the tendency to alternate. They are never here at the same time somehow. But one of them is always biting hard

Since I was little and saw RC heli's in shops (hirobo shuttle) I've wanted one but went into planes instead a few years later. Had a Robbe Woody glider and a Puma-40 and an F-16 Futaba radio. At that time, around 1991, I was training myself with the tower view of MS flight simulator.
    Never crashed the old puma but instead lost interest in it quickly.

2008 I found a small coaxial heli in a Hong Kong toy store on a business trip and converted it into stereoscopic first person flight. Won a competition with that.
    1,5 years after that I want to have a try at the amazing 3D flight these trex type heli's can do - the small one isn't too expensive - I go slow and have access to a good sim - all for fun :-)

here's a link to the stereoscopic coaxial I did in 2008:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxV5ibmDp20

radio interference made the flight difficult and the images a bit messy.

cheers,
    m.

Love to see'em crash when the guys are night flying. All the pretty lights fly apart when the heli
    hits the ground. I'll stick to fixed wing... Far less expensive hobby.

Mark