Thread: 3.3V @ 8000 AMPS!!! Need Some Suggestions....

Default 3.3V @ 8000 AMPS!!! Need Some Suggestions....

Hey Guys,
    I recently purchased an ass load of Vicor MegaPAC power supplies, 25 to be exact, all brand new in the original factory packaging. I did have a really cool plan for these. I was going to turn the 8 DC-DC converter modules inside each MegaPAC into individual 40A laser diode drivers but that plan has failed since I have recently learned that only one converter module in the MegaPAC is a master and the rest are slaves. They need the master to be able to regulate them.

Anyway, Now I have a predicament. I got a garage filled with boxes of these great supplies and I want to flip them for some cash! Each supply is auto-ranging and they will except 115-230VAC and output 3.3VDC @ up to 320A! They are also trimmable from 2.2-3.6VDC. There has to be some great application for this much current at ~3.3V but I could use some suggestions on what industry I could provide them to.

Also, If anyone has an idea and can facilitate in the conclusion of a deal for all of the whole lot. I'll throw you a 15% commission on the final sale price minus shipping charges. All you have to do is make the deal. Each one of these supplies retail for thousands of dollars new and since they ARE new, should hold their value fairly well.

Here is some info on these PSU's and their components...

http://www.vicr.com/cms/home/product...rangingMegaPAC

http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/...esignguide.pdf

http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/...ual_200J00.pdf

So, Please let me know if you have any ideas!
    Thanks!
    Adam

Oh, and here are some pics of one unit with one of the converter cards removed....

I would be interested in one unit to power up a 20 watt diode I have...I will look for a pm from you please...
    Thanks....Mike ......or you could purchase a few 500 watt doughnut diode setups and build a monster.....
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default Ideas for use...

Adam,

A huge LED array comes to mind, if I get any other ideas I will edit this post and add them in.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Adam,

A huge LED array comes to mind, if I get any other ideas I will edit this post and add them in.

-Adam
    If you can limit the current:
    4 or 5 in series for a MEGA anodising PSU?

You could anodise some serious sized parts with 320A
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Does that also mean smaller parts could be anodized much more quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    Does that also mean smaller parts could be anodized much more quickly?
    Yes... but there is a recommended limit to the anodising current density. i.e. to keep a good finish, you can't scale it up indefinitely.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

if there is an input to regulate them from a master unit, the input could be a voltage setpoint

it could be possible to regulate them current-wise with a simple op-amp and a big shunt resistor

you should inversigate deeper on those!