Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burleigh WA-10 Wavemeter

Hi-
    The interface is quite simple, there are only a few commands:
    I<cr> ->returns instrument name
    S<cr> ->returns status report
    (empty) ->returns ASCII string of the front panel reading

That's all there is to it!

Furthermore, I received a simple VB program from a researcher at the University of Virginia which will read out the wavelength. I have not tried compiling it, but I have attached the file he sent me (a pdf of the VB source code) to this post so that others may find it useful, and I include his comments below:

I finally have my PC reading the wavelength or wavenumber from the Burleigh WA-20 wavemeter. Using a template I found online, I was quickly able to get the
    device to respond to IDN? <CR> with an appropriate string. In fact, writing any string that begins with capital I and ends with <CR> but does not include <LF>
    returns the sam thing. Likewise, and string that stats with capital “S” and ends in <CR> returns a status report, usually “VAC ERROR” in our case as we do not
    have the unit pumped out.

After trying all the obvious things to prompt the wavelength with only “SYNTAX ERROR” as the only result, I wrote programs that tried all ACSII character strings
    up to four characters with still only “SYNTAX ERROR” as the result. Finally, I tried simply reading without prompt and that worked! It appears that whenever on,
    the unit is broadcasting a 13 character ASCII string that is of the form _XXXXXXXX_XX<CR> where _ is space and the first set of X’s is either the wavelength (in
    microns) or the wavenumber (in inverse cm) including decimal point depending upon the front panel switch setting. I.e. it will read either 06000.00 or 1.666666
    After the space is a two digit number that I have seen as 05, 15, and 25. Not sure what that means but I find documentation that a later Burleigh wavemeter
    returned some error estimate code with the result so i guess that is what this is.

I attach a PDF of the Visual Basic program that I wrote. It needs two library modules. It includes two setup lines:

Call ibdev(0, 6, 0, T10s, &H140A, 10, intDevice) 'Initalize the IEEE device
    Call ibconfig(intDevice, IbcREADDR, 1) 'Setup repeat Addressing

I got these from generic IEEE-488 Visual Basic 6 sample program and only changed the second argument to 6 as this is the IEEE
    address of my wavemeter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wavemeter Read.pdf  

Thanks a lot! Although it appears we don't have the GPIB interface to switch the D-sub 25 pins to a 24 pins connector.

There's a section on Wavemeters at Sam's Laser FAQ...

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlia.htm#liawlmt20

Not sure it'll have what you need, but it's a good place to start.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi-
    If your unit does not have the GPIB board present you are out of luck. The 25-pin d-sub interface is described in the manual, it directly outputs the front panel display information in a parallel BCD format. You will need some sort of interface board (maybe an arduino?) to convert this to a standard protocol to interface with the rest of your equipment.

Default WA 20

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I'd love to get my hands on a WA-20 or WA-10 at a reasonable price. If anyone knows of one laying around, please let me know.

I do keep my eye on Ebay, but haven't seen anything come up lately.
    Sam and I have a very clean WA-20. IR but I have measured air cooled Argon lines with it (a mW or more) so if you have any power it works fine in the vis also and goes to ?4 microns? Is $3K reasonable? Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)

Thanks for the offer Phil, but the post is 4 years old and the need for one of these has now passed. That's a nice offer though as I know coming from you (and Sam) that it would be a good unit. Kind regards. Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001