Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laserscope Dye Laser Modification just finished!

i have no doubt he got it running...at a wopping 20mw...now he needs to put that sucker up on a tripod lolol

i am in tolido washington, raining like hell going fishing, but if i catch a twenty pounder...it is worth it!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    How much did you help him, Ben?
    I basically told him to shine the laser into the dye while it is running in Q-Switched mode. My logic is, he is way less of a hazard with 10W of red as opposed to 50W of green, wouldn't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    You knew where to find the photo.... Smokin Gun.... Dude?
    He sent the picture to me once he got it lasing.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Ben -

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    My logic is, he is way less of a hazard with 10W of red as opposed to 50W of green, wouldn't you agree?
    No, because #1 it is still pulsed-output, and therefore, contains high ocular-hazard-peaks, and #2, he has proven that he WILL put the 'cart before the horse' and DO what HE WANTS, legal / safe, or not.... It's like saying, (assume, for the 'sake of the point' that he is unlicensed and untrained with firearms, as-well-as lasers...) - you'd trust him with a .22 vs that .45 he 'pimps' on his Facebook page... get my point? Illegal / untrained is illegal / untrained...

mis dos centavos...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I am not saying I would like to see him with either, but I would much rather see him with the lower power red then the high power green. It is still dangerous, but much less dangerous then the green.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I am not saying I would like to see him with either, but I would much rather see him with the lower power red then the high power green. It is still dangerous, but much less dangerous then the green.
    Like I said - .22 vs .45 - both equally-dangerous / potentially damaging in the hands of the inexperienced - and if you would not "like to see him with either" - until he is varianced / has proper safety training - then just don't help him AT ALL get those lasers working, dig? If you are able to 'get thru' to him, I suggest encouraging him to spend his time / money on a pulsed-laser / Class IV safety course / Variance help... like hire Casey Stack.... and then LISTEN and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. (...yeah right....

peace..
    j

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    pulsed-laser / Class IV safety course
    where would you find one of these?

Cool

Hey fle -

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    where would you find one of these?
    if, for 'general-purposes' (the laser-sources, 'in-general') you can go 'Rockwell' - http://www.rli.com/training/course1.aspx?Item=I ...and they have a couple 'Online' courses, for those not in OH or AZ...

... but for OUR industry (shows), honestly, the best-bet is hire someone, like Casey Stack or - best for you (FL) - Greg Makhov - really, Greg is one of the most knowledgable people / experts on safety in the lasershow industry, period... this way, you could get Regs-specific, lasers-specific, and Show-Context-specific (indoor vs outdoor / FAA / audience-scanning, etc) training... certainly, much more 'relevant to us' than the 'broader' Rockwell courses...

...But I can't say they'd be any 'cheaper'... if anything, might be as-much, if not more... Both of those guys - as most other 'Pros' are - are usually extremely busy, constantly 'stoking the oven' to keep things going, so their time IS 'worth money', and they (specifically) deserve to be paid, and paid well...

Greg is usually 'quite gracious' in spending some time (when he can 'afford' it) to talk with folks / answer questions, 'free of charge', but in all-fairness to him, if you really wanted a 'laser safety course', for Class IV and/or Pulsed-laser hazards, specifically, it would only be 'fair' to ask about pricing for-such... IMO, I'd be 'prepared' for a G or-so (but don't quote me - I can't speak for him! - a 'G' is just IMO, something 'fair'...)...

...And - ya know - (in the 'context of this thread') - if 'DjCaseyAnthony', there, had not been such an arrogant / insistent-on-HIS-WAY-from-the-very-beginning-TOOL, he would have very-likely gotten a quite-thourough Class IV / Pulsed-laser safety 'course' (well, the important stuff, anyway...) for FREE, from me... But I guess that's 'off-point' to your question, and Greg is certainly much closer - and much more of an expert - than I am, anyway...

Hope this helps...
    peace..
    j

PS - and I meant what I said about those 'pints' next time I am in MIA... you 'down'?
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-21-2010 at 03:42.

Hey fle -

if, for 'general-purposes' (the laser-sources, 'in-general') you can go 'Rockwell' - http://www.rli.com/training/course1.aspx?Item=I ...and they have a couple 'Online' courses, for those not in OH or AZ...

... but for OUR industry (shows), honestly, the best-bet is hire someone, like Casey Stack or - best for you (FL) - Greg Makhov - really, Greg is one of the most knowledgable people / experts on safety in the lasershow industry, period... this way, you could get Regs-specific, lasers-specific, and Show-Context-specific (indoor vs outdoor / FAA / audience-scanning, etc) training... certainly, much more 'relevant to us' than the 'broader' Rockwell courses...

...But I can't say they'd be any 'cheaper'... if anything, might be as-much, if not more... Both of those guys - as most other 'Pros' are - are usually extremely busy, constantly 'stoking the oven' to keep things going, so their time IS 'worth money', and they (specifically) deserve to be paid, and paid well...

Greg is usually 'quite gracious' in spending some time (when he can 'afford' it) to talk with folks / answer questions, 'free of charge', but in all-fairness to him, if you really wanted a 'laser safety course', for Class IV and/or Pulsed-laser hazards, specifically, it would only be 'fair' to ask about pricing for-such... IMO, I'd be 'prepared' for a G or-so (but don't quote me - I can't speak for him! - a 'G' is just IMO, something 'fair'...)...

...And - ya know - (in the 'context of this thread') - if 'DjCaseyAnthony', there, had not been such an arrogant / insistent-on-HIS-WAY-from-the-very-beginning-TOOL, he would have very-likely gotten a quite-thourough Class IV / Pulsed-laser safety 'course' (well, the important stuff, anyway...) for FREE, from me... But I guess that's 'off-point' to your question, and Greg is certainly much closer - and much more of an expert - than I am, anyway...

Hope this helps...
    peace..
    j

PS - and I meant what I said about those 'pints' next time I am in MIA... you 'down'?
    hrmm, seems reasonable, but I don't really forsee actually using my prodj laserscope anytime soon for any kind of show anyway since building it into a proper projector is going to be a long and well thought out process, plus I am sure getting a variance will redefine fun... so a long road, which I probably won't document here for fear of everyone coming after me with pitch forks and torches... so its going to have to wait a bit regardless

hah I was just looking at his website, so HEs the one that does Ultra music festival... that means he is probably in Miami right now since its next friday lol... oh well

feel free to give me a ring if your in MIA... laser shows first friday of the month at the museum of science if you would like to see what a piece of crap projector you can get from lasernet for $50k lol

Hey fle -

hrmm, seems reasonable, but I don't really forsee actually using my prodj laserscope anytime soon for any kind of show anyway since building it into a proper projector is going to be a long and well thought out process
    ...somebody I know might be able to give you a 'few pointers'... ...also, HERE is a bit more info on Greg's 'courses'... best, though, to call / chat, etc, etc...

plus I am sure getting a variance will redefine fun... so a long road,
    Really, fle - it's not as hard as you (and many-others, here...) may think... Sure, the first time I went thru it, I 'gulped alot', too... but, especially today, with many experts out there, willing to help, it's really not all 'that bad'... The one thing that is very annoying, is that - yes - the CDRH is waaaay stretched too-thin, and neither Dockets Management - nor 'Enforcement' - response-times, are what they should be... but hey - what can else we expect from 'The Man', right now? - the whole friggin 'system' is broken...

...But I, for one, don't think that 'justifies' the '...well, then, why 'bother?...' attitude that has gone 'viral' the past-few years (yes, in-part, due to the tidal-wave of illegal imports from the PROC and elsewhere... ) - I don't think that means that we should all just say 'whatever' and do what's 'easiest': nothing...

And, like you have correctly pointed out before, too - ultimately, laser safety comes down to the OPERATOR... but, like I've 'countered' - yes, but whom do you think is more 'likely' to STRIVE to be safe, each and every show, and actually FOLLOW the safety-principals / Regs: the guy that invested $2K in his projector, $5K in lasers, $3K/year in Insurance, $1K in 'training/Var prep, and $__K in his website, etc, etc? - - OR the guy that spent $299. on an illegal import, got it to 'beat-sense', finally - and, thinks he's 'ready to rock'.. ?? - or, the HACK that buys a 40 Watt surgical-laser, and a half-baked Class IV Ion off eBay, hacks a few wires and swtiches together, tinkertoys-on some galvos - - and suddenly, now can offer
    '60 Watts of RGB and 80 Watts of 532'???... (I'm not trying to 'get the fire going' again, but I think you get my point, yes?)

if not, Point-is: KUDOS to you for TRYING to 'take the High-Road', and as long as you stay-committed to it, I think you'll find all the 'help' you need... ...And I'm quite-sure - even those of us that have been 'in the biz' awhile - will learn plenty from you - along the way... which is what makes 'PL' so cool...

which I probably won't document here for fear of everyone coming after me with pitch forks and torches...
    Like I said - no worries, UNLESS you start illegally advertising / performing shows BEFORE you have proper training and your Variance (at least, submitted / acknowleged) and a certfied projector (even if 'bought'...) etc etc - The 'Pitchfork People' here, only 'come out' when they see THIS or THIS.. or THIS... and did ya 'catch' these? -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LVL_WOW1..jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	15436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LVL_WOW2..jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	15437

...THAT kind of BS is why we have 'draconian' (...I know... I overuse that word... ) Regs, NOT because there is some 'secret-insiders Boyz Club'... - hah - "...(LLV)...the single greatest corporate event, Live Special Effects, and Laser Light Show provider in the world." ... what a crock of GUANO!!!!! ...truly, 'Legends in their own Mind'...

hah I was just looking at his website, so HEs the one that does Ultra music festival...
    LSDI?? I don't think-so.... I'm pretty sure that has been 'L-Net's 'baby' for years.... Greg might have supplied a Sabre or two, in the past... ??? Dunno.. I certainly could be wrong, but I have long-thought L-Net, there, to be the 'kings of Ultra'...

feel free to give me a ring if your in MIA... if you would like to see what a piece of crap projector you can get from lasernet for $50k lol
    Hah - right-on... and Re: ..'projector'... well, I guess I am beginning to understand your 'cynicism'...nothing like seeing a 'Pro Co' that 'cuts-corners on quality' to develop those feelings... Like I posted above, 'LLV - greatest sho co in the world..'... what a farce...

Anyhoo, time to get 'off the soapbox' my 'quarter' is most-definitely up ... PM-me if ya want any ideas / to-chat about your 'scope-plans'... Happy to help as much as I can...

peace..
    j

Like I said - no worries, UNLESS you start illegally advertising / performing shows BEFORE you have proper training and your Variance (at least, submitted / acknowleged) and a certfied projector (even if 'bought'...) etc etc - The 'Pitchfork People' here, only 'come out' when they see THIS or THIS.. or THIS... and did ya 'catch' these? -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LVL_WOW1..jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	15436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LVL_WOW2..jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	15437

...THAT kind of BS is why we have 'draconian' (...I know... I overuse that word... ) Regs, NOT because there is some 'secret-insiders Boyz Club'... - hah - "...(LLV)...the single greatest corporate event, Live Special Effects, and Laser Light Show provider in the world." ... what a crock of GUANO!!!!! ...truly, 'Legends in their own Mind'...
    ya well, I am going to treat this thing with the respect it deserves like any of my other weapons (firearms)... just you can fire this one within city limits lol

LSDI?? I don't think-so.... I'm pretty sure that has been 'L-Net's 'baby' for years.... Greg might have supplied a Sabre or two, in the past... ??? Dunno.. I certainly could be wrong, but I have long-thought L-Net, there, to be the 'kings of Ultra'...
    hrmm, thats a shame, I wonder if all of their projectors there are out of alignment too lol

Hah - right-on... and Re: ..'projector'... well, I guess I am beginning to understand your 'cynicism'...nothing like seeing a 'Pro Co' that 'cuts-corners on quality' to develop those feelings... Like I posted above, 'LLV - greatest sho co in the world..'... what a farce...
    ya seriously the first time we complained about the RGB lasers being not even close to aligned and the scanners couldn't even do an ILDA test pattern at 12K their response was (I swear to god) "ya, we hoped you wouldn't notice that"

I will probably make a thread for my laserscope projector anyway (although there is actually very little of the laserscope left beside the optical deck)

and trust me this thing will never see the airspace closer than 10' from the earth - or people, nor do public shows without a variance, this thing is more than powerful enough to do REAL SERIOUS damage, and not just to eye balls either...

honestly even when I was complaining about variances and "the process" (which like you said, I haven't gone through so who knows, maybe it will be painless) I still hold safety as the highest priority at all times, both for me (the operator) and the audience (not that I have EVER done any public shows mind you), I have never - and will never - audience scan with any laser because its just not worth the risk

man this thread has been derailed like every other post LOL

edit: here you go, new thread lol

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...900#post139900
    Last edited by flecom; 03-21-2010 at 16:29.