Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember where I said self moderation?

Default Remember where I said self moderation?

This is where the pedal meets the floorboard.

If theres something you would liike to see changed, submit it here under a new listing, try to keep the requests down to 1 per main post, unless your request is intimately related to another request.

Submit it to vote! The admins/moderators here will look over everything and see if its practical and in the benefit of the forum as a whole.

In the event the request is denied or we need further information you will recieve a message here or in your PM box explaining why or what we need.

Example of a bad request:

"Hi, I laZorEd my cat, and i want a special "CATLAZOREREED" forum, and i want to be mod! K?Thx.Bye!"

Another bad request:

"I submit to vote that you make me a mod (or site admin, or delete X users post)" Thanks! DO IT NOW"

---

So, lets see where this goes...
    > THIS SPACE FOR RENT <

Nice. Only one from me so far..
    PNG as new image file format for upload. Many of our diagrams and laser images will compress well as PNG, and give better results than either JPG, or GIF. PNG is often particularly good at compressing screenshots too.

This idea has been thrown around by a couple people, but a Advanced Laser Design forum would be nice. A place to discuss laser cavity design, etc...

Thanks!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

I don't know how I missed PNG... Its added now, 4MB limit and no dimensional restrictions.

The "Advanced Technical Discussion^2" system is still in the incubator. Hopefully soon it will come to fruition.

Right after I slap around the gallery and wiki which are both suffering from what I like to refer to as "Catastrophic Mysql database decompression".

It's always something, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I don't know how I missed PNG... Its added now, 4MB limit and no dimensional restrictions.
    Good one. Thanks.

It'd be cool if we could get width and height tags on embedded images set to a sensible default (like, say, "100%") so that they don't blow out the tables... pretty please? :-)

Got another one...

Sometimes a post might just need to answer Yes or No, or as in Chad's poll of beam heights to get stats from people to aid a common design, just a number of mm. I think the current restriction is 15 non-whitespace characters. Any chance of setting it to 1? (or perhaps include whitespace character ASC160 so that only posts that were consciously formatted to overcome the rule get posted).

I really wish you could make some more skins/templates available for this board.

Automatic limitation of images sizes would be very nice too as stated before.
    It's included in vBulletin, have a look at the options (Attachments -> Manage attachments). There you can add .png too. It's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by decix View Post
    I really wish you could make some more skins/templates available for this board.

Automatic limitation of images sizes would be very nice too as stated before.
    It's included in vBulletin, have a look at the options (Attachments -> Manage attachments). There you can add .png too. It's easy.
    That feature *is* in effect and only applies to images that were uploaded via the form here in the reply box. I have *yet* to find a way to force a dimensional restriction for hot-linked images that does not directly involve hacking up the theme formatting every time there is an upgrade to the core vBulletin software. Even checked the vB mods database.

As far as themes are concerned... They have the same problem: Every update they are required to be updated to incorporate "New Terms and Phrases" as dictated by the vBulletin team... This has proven to be nightmarish for site administrators and theme designers alike, hence why you see a ton of "always default" vB skins out there.

I'm not opposed to the idea of making this place skinnable, My liver however is opposed to the amount of scotch I would need to consume to maintain these skins with every update.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    Got another one...

Sometimes a post might just need to answer Yes or No, or as in Chad's poll of beam heights to get stats from people to aid a common design, just a number of mm. I think the current restriction is 15 non-whitespace characters. Any chance of setting it to 1? (or perhaps include whitespace character ASC160 so that only posts that were consciously formatted to overcome the rule get posted).
    The reason for the 15 character limit was specifically to keep responses from being "LOL, Yes, I agree, No, OMGWTFBBQ, HAHA NOOB! and FIRST!"

I got tired of seeing forums that looked like an alphabet soup factory exploded...

That being said: I have changed the restriction to 1 character as there was no way to specify white space as valid. If this "feature" starts getting abused: I'll set it to something stupid like 500 characters.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    ... If this "feature" starts getting abused: I'll set it to something stupid like 500 characters.
    That wouldn't affect Buffo in the slightest.