Thread: Windows 7 64bit + Winamp beat vis

Default Windows 7 64bit + Winamp beat vis

I just picked up an i3 laptop with Windows 7 64bit O/S.

The machine is just for general web surfing, a bit of photo editing etc, but I thought I'd install LivePro and have it as a backup machine, just in case....

Every time I select the beat viz programme Winamp crashes, anybody know of a workaround?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

32-bit compatibility mode maybe? I guess winamp visualisation plugins are not designed for 64 bit architectures

I think you need to have LivePro loaded first, before you launch the plug-in. I seem to remember this being an issue even on 32-bit operating systems.

Adam

I had similar problems with XP and Vista. In my case it turned out to be the newer version of Winamp causing the problem.

I found that Winamp 5.5 works good. I have it if you need it.

Gene

Windows 7 and pangolin got some issues.

Please contact Bill for a solution/workarround

Winamp 5.5 works, but it takes an age to load and to close.

But at least its working.

Doc's website

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I had the same problem, I upgraded to Winamp Pro (paid for ) and it cured it.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

there is the "Windows XP mode" which is basically installing WinXP into virtual PC, i use it for running some Win7 incompatible applications but they're not resource hungry, so who knows if there would be any lags

or try the compatibility mode, there you can set compatibility for various Windows OS versions and service packs

Strangley the application would not run at all in any of the compatibility modes

Doc's website

After weeks of battling with Winamp on my Win7 64 barely working/freezing or crashing I found a funny cure:
    Just download Winamp v2.95 from 2003! at http://www.oldversion.com/download_Winamp_2.95.html Yep, clean everything from your previous versions. Run it in as administrator and set the compatibility mode to Win XP service pack 2. It takes a little while to load the viz plugin but after that it works like a charm. I used the provided Nullsoft CD/Linein plugin using linein:// and bam! The only thing is that you have to choose what live input to use on your system because the micin:// doesn't work but with linein you get lineIn/CD/iTune,...ect or your webcam/system mic or both if you like, just set your options in you system pref.

Just make sure to choose the right option when asked if you have a LAN connection or a 56K modem
    Enjoy.

Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I just picked up an i3 laptop with Windows 7 64bit O/S.

The machine is just for general web surfing, a bit of photo editing etc, but I thought I'd install LivePro and have it as a backup machine, just in case....

Every time I select the beat viz programme Winamp crashes, anybody know of a workaround?