Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scanner: USB controller here

Default Scanner: USB controller here

Hey! I was looking at jmlaser.com and there is a new product- EasyLase USB. Obviously this must be the USB controller we have been waiting for!
    I will email them soon to ask them about price and whether or not it will work with popelscan and the M6008 they sell.
    What do you guys think?

http://www.jmlaser.com/products_engl..._kurzinfo.html

(i will probably post this on CPF too, in the huge scanner FAQ, but i posted it here first because i like this forum and it needs traffic.)

USB attached scan engines are not exactly a "new" thing. I remember looking at this page about 6 months ago and remember saying "jesus, it has a cat5 jack, wow..."

http://www.riyalasers.com/riya_usb_sa.htm

heh, spec, you should have told me! :P Sigh, just when I thought i had it all figured out too :P
    (standard questions follow: )
    So, does anyone have any experience with this unit?
    Does it work with the m6008
    does it work with popelscan
    How much is it
    Should i get this instead of the one from jmlaser

I know i know, i should try to find out for myself, and i will, but its always a good idea to ask first

While I have no experience with the Riya deck I could only assume it to be fine.

These things are simply high precision DAC's. I dont forsee a problem running them with your m6008's as this will connect to the galvo amps throught the ILDA standard 25 pin cable. For the pinout:

http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las.../ISP-DB25.html

As for a price, I have no idea, however i have been surprised(in a bad way) before by the prices on these things.

Contact Riya and see what they have to say about the unit and price. I would personally love to know also!

I have one USB controller from JMLaser on the way

They tell me that it works with Popelscan (not sure because Guido the Popelscan conceptor tell me that it will not run with!).
    I will test it for you and tell you when I get it

The Riya USB is a lot more expensive than the Easylase (more that 2 times). But sorry I think I can't say the exact price on a public forum (but it's affordable). Just contact JMLaser for this! The owner is very friendly and speak english (he's in Deutschland).

For sure they work with M6008, and I think all the others existing scanners.

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum so I am just getting caught up with all of the posts here. This post about the USB "scan engine" caught my eye as we have had one of these on the market for several years.

You can see a picture of it, and read about it here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

This is our Flashback 3, and it is a small, credit-card-sized board and attached daughterboards. This Flashback 3 has a very low power requirement of only +5V at a few hundred milliamps. In fact, the power supply requirement is not critical. Anything from around 4.9 to 6V will work fine, and at trade shows we normally run it off of four AA batteries.

The Flashback 3 has outputs for X, Y, RGB, Intensity and Shutter and may be controlled (triggered) by RS-232 serial port, TTL, DMX or USB. The DMX Channel Assignment currently supports 14 channels and is quite comprehensive in what can be controlled (as far as I know, it has the most DMX-controlled parameters of any board-level laser controller).

The USB interface is USB 2.0 and we have hot-plug drivers for Windows, and some utility software (not yet shown on the web site). The utility software is quite good because it includes a LivePRO-like live control surface, complete drawing and animation package with real-time laser-projected output. The Flashback 3 can also be used as an output device for our LivePRO software.

A complete evaluation package including the Flashback 3 with USB and DMX daughterboards, 128MB removable memory with pre-programmed cues, connectorized cables and utility software is only $595 USD.

Not that I want to steal the thunder away from any of the other products mentioned here, but just incase there were those who were not aware of the Flashback product, now you are

Best regards,

William Benner
    Pangolin Laser Systems

I have Been running the easylase from Joe at JML / medialas for about a year now and it is superb .... even when i have other usb devices connected onto the same port / hub it runs perfectly

Also must say .... I saw Bills "flashback 3" being demonstrated at the ILDA
    conference this year and it is one amazing bit of kit .... im thinking of getting one of these as well

it can run stand alone or you can connect via USB2 and control the show and add effects ( rotate and manipulate and lots more ) and the software interface
    is really cool for live work

or you can use DMX and connect it to a standard DMX lighting desk and control the show from there, and its all backed up by the pangolin quality

all the best ......... Karl ( banthai lasers UK )

I reciently purchased the usb adon for the flashback we have here, and it really has opened the flashback up to a new level of power..

I cant think of any other software/hardware that can be had for such a low price.. Granted, it doesnt replace the qm2000 we have, but its a great way for some of you guys to get into quality software on the cheap..

Maybe i might post some screen shots of the utility software if anyone is interested

Don't you need to buy the Pangolin software in order to create shows for the Flashback 3?

The problem I have with Pangolin's products is the PRICE

The one exception is LSD 1000. I even bought an Amiga 2000 so that I could play with it, but it's been such a royal pain getting that to work that I more or less gave up and built the bILDA DAC and switched to HE Laserscan.

Do you have the Same problem with BMW? II Know i do, Damn i wish i could get this Really amazing car with all the bells and whistles, great look, Reliable,and fas for the same price as my K-Car....

Guys, its a reality, we have to pay for things to get made, and things that are relaible and Work everytime, and are revolutionary and have Speed...R and D on Laser stuff is expensive and takes lots of people most times..

Panglolin charges a fair price for a great , reliable product, In my opinion.

Yes, its more expensive than some, but ther are other from europe that are more, with hardwar and software, and let me tell you..I have tried to use them.. and i was dissapointed.. We had extedned loans of some big european systems and we were NOT impressed, and the Price for what it could do was the Issue, Not the Price alone... IF it could have done it at that price.. NO PROBLEM.... But it could not, But Pangolin could, and they were willing to Listen when we had a concern.....

Yes, some will not be abloe to afford it, But dont make that a BAD thing... Hell i wish icould affore a BMW, but its STILL a nice car and i still Want one, SOMEDAY.....
    IMHO....
    CREATIVITY AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!
    www.laser-ad.com