Thread: question

Default question

what limits the amount of 808nm light you can pump through a crystal? I've always wanted to strap a 5w diode to a casix dpm crystal, but they state the 500mw is that max that should be used to pump it. why is this so?How come its safe to pump 1.2w of 808 into a pgl3 assembly but not a leadlights??(assuming you have a heatsink on it)

by the way, do green dpss lasers use n-yag crystals or nyv04 crystals, i forgot

Default Re: question

Quote Originally Posted by boone
    what limits the amount of 808nm light you can pump through a crystal? I've always wanted to strap a 5w diode to a casix dpm crystal, but they state the 500mw is that max that should be used to pump it. why is this so?
    That is because of the limits of the Casix crystals...larger and higher quality (more expensive) crystals can handle much higher levels of 808nm light - so the 5W that you speak of could be easily used, if you have enough money to buy the expensive crystals.

How come its safe to pump 1.2w of 808 into a pgl3 assembly but not a leadlights??(assuming you have a heatsink on it)
    Again, this is due to larger and higher quality crystals used in the PGL-III vs. the Leadlights.

by the way, do green dpss lasers use n-yag crystals or nyv04 crystals, i forgot
    Typical green DPSS lasers use NdYV04 crystals to take the frequency of the 808nm IR diode into the 1064nm range, then KTP crystals to double the frequency to 532nm.

thanks for the reply, although your answer isn't quite what i'm looking for. What i want to know is that the dpm crystals are only for 500mw right? what are the consiquenses of using a 5w diode in that assembly, what affect would it have on the crsytals? what is the problem that occurs when too much power is shot into laser crystals?

The dopant amount in the crystal is your enemy at that power point, I seriously recommend you looking into a REAL litton crystal for that type of power... And the problem isnt even the casix crystals themselves assuming they are large enough, its the "seal" made between the rocks that will fail first. It really is the most fragile part in that equation.

I wish I could just say "X" crystal is good for "Y" output, however the production types are very sensitive. For example a slight vibration in the vat the crystals are being grown in can every so slightly shift the crystalline matrix they have "seeded" and throw the parameters WAY off.

Your going to have to go by the manufacturers recommendations on this one, and that hurts me to say, because most "far east" manufacturers of these products do not offer much information thats of any real help.

Check out Litton hydrothermally grown crystals that are precut, "tinned" with indium foil, and have AR 808/1064 coatings on both ends.