Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilda db25 4 way splitter - anyone used one of these

It's true, I forgot about the interlock too. Still, digital logic won't work for this application. It's probably best to use a dedicated ILDA splitter, that way you don't need to consider these problems individually.

Default back to square 1

where to buy a dedicated ilda switcher is the question.......

This is an ILDA splitter, but it's also way more than an ILDA splitter, and it's quite expensive but it does do some amazing tricks for creating complex projector matrixes.

http://www.showtacle.com/LaserMatrix.php

Not sure if this needs it's own thread but figured it might be of interest (if you have deep enough pockets.) If I recall correctly, it's in the area of $3000.00 USD. I can confirm later on as the price info is on my work computer.

The matrix part of this splitter is controlled via software very much like DMX automated lighting.
    It directly interfaces with Showtacle's software but it does not readily work with Pangolin , but it I think it can work along side it on a seperate computer with some limitations.

It seems that 4-way splitter in the first post is no longer made/supported.
    Anyone else want to chime in with other hardware options?
    A nice rack mounted unit would be great IMO!

Cool

Question: How much interest would there be in a buffered ILDA splitter box with 10 output ports if each output had it's own size and color gain adjustments?

Basically this would be a single enclosure with it's own power supply that you connect to your laser show controller via a standard ILDA cable. Then you could connect up to 10 ILDA-compliant projectors to it, and each projector would receive the same signal. The interlock loops would all be electrically isolated from one another. The signals that would be buffered would be red +, green +, blue +, shutter, X+, X-, Y+, and Y-. ILDA ground would be common among all projectors.

Each output port would have adjustment trim pots for Red, Green, and Blue gain (effectively allowing you to adjust the color balance of each port), plus additional trip pots to adjust the gain on X and Y (to adjust the scan size).

5 of the 10 output ports would have X-axis invert switches. And there would be a jumper available to force all shutters open if needed. Finally, the box would support a "test mode", where all color signals (red, green, and blue) would be connected to +5 volts, and a quadrature square wave pattern would be sent to the X and Y outputs.

Note that this is something a little more involved than the stackable ILDA buffers ("MATilda boards") that Stanwax and DanielBriggs are working on. And admittedly, adjusting the color balance and image size on all the output ports would probably be a time-consuming procedure, as the trim pots would all be internal to the box. But once it was adjusted, you'd be able to re-use it over and over again. Basically this is something similar to the "Laser Matrix" device above, but with a few different features and a drastically lower price.

Right now this is a one-off project that is being assembled for SELEM 2010. However, it could be scaled up to a group-buy if there was enough interest. Any takers? (I don't have a good idea on the price yet, but it certainly will be an order of magnitude cheaper than the Laser Matrix unit above!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Question: How much interest would there be in a buffered ILDA splitter box with 10 output ports if each output had it's own size and color gain adjustments?

Basically this would be a single enclosure with it's own power supply that you connect to your laser show controller via a standard ILDA cable. Then you could connect up to 10 ILDA-compliant projectors to it, and each projector would receive the same signal. The interlock loops would all be electrically isolated from one another. The signals that would be buffered would be red +, green +, blue +, shutter, X+, X-, Y+, and Y-. ILDA ground would be common among all projectors.

Each output port would have adjustment trim pots for Red, Green, and Blue gain (effectively allowing you to adjust the color balance of each port), plus additional trip pots to adjust the gain on X and Y (to adjust the scan size).

5 of the 10 output ports would have X-axis invert switches. And there would be a jumper available to force all shutters open if needed. Finally, the box would support a "test mode", where all color signals (red, green, and blue) would be connected to +5 volts, and a quadrature square wave pattern would be sent to the X and Y outputs.

Note that this is something a little more involved than the stackable ILDA buffers ("MATilda boards") that Stanwax and DanielBriggs are working on. And admittedly, adjusting the color balance and image size on all the output ports would probably be a time-consuming procedure, as the trim pots would all be internal to the box. But once it was adjusted, you'd be able to re-use it over and over again. Basically this is something similar to the "Laser Matrix" device above, but with a few different features and a drastically lower price.

Right now this is a one-off project that is being assembled for SELEM 2010. However, it could be scaled up to a group-buy if there was enough interest. Any takers? (I don't have a good idea on the price yet, but it certainly will be an order of magnitude cheaper than the Laser Matrix unit above!)

Adam
    Any chance these might be available with fewer outputs - say, 5, instead of 10?

Count me interested...
    Last edited by Stuka; 05-13-2010 at 07:02.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Yea, I'd be interested in one or two of these if the price was right. I would prefer fewer outputs too.

Cheers
    Rich

Adam,
    Count me as very interested!
    Can you make it in a 19" rack mount enclosure?
    Can the trim pots be outside the box for easy on-site adjustments?

Do it up! Sounds awesome!

Cool

We haven't really thought about it, but the idea is that unlike the MATilda product, this thing would not be modular. So you'd want to design it to support the maximum number of projectors right from the start. (The MATilda board is superior in that respect, since you can always add an extra one later if you want.) But since our design has gain adjustment and a few other features that increase it's size to start with, it seemed to make sense to design it with more ports in mind.

However, if we decided to make more of them, it could certainly be scaled down to fewer ports.

Adam

You could design and supply the boards so we can then put them in any housing we desire ie can combine in an enclosure with a FB3 for instance.

Cheers
    Rich

Cool

They'd be pretty large. Much larger than the FB3. The one we're assembling right now will be in a box that is 11 inches by 7 inches by 3 inches, and it's a tight fit.

Adam