Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Silva, seller of sound cards. :)

Nice, if you can it will help. The one I got was clean, and judging by the way the PCI card was numbered with a sticky vinyl label, the firm that used these looked after them. No takers? This is high quality 24 bit digital multichannel I/O with good Windows and Linux support going for half the price it usually gets. Never mind whether they're good for laser control with DC coupling mods, people ought to snap these up they way they snapped up those ELO monitor deals last year. There aren't many of these, enough to satisfy a few people who take the plunge, but after that they're gone and prices will rise if more aren't forthcoming. eBay standard prices were over £200 before postage, not £100 all in, as these are.

I can understand that people might be reluctant to take a chance on buying from a newcomer, but you can buy one from me instead if you want, if you want the capacitor removal done for DC coupling. I have two, one without that mod (yet, and I could sell it as is..). Several people here will have seen me before, and if you want to check my eBay record, look for 'Lostgallifreyan'.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 03-27-2010 at 08:49.

Thumbs up

Well, I'm definitely up for one - my cheque's in the post to Tony, we'll see how it works out.

What is it that makes Layla soundcards so good? Well, they've been the card of choice for pro studios for many years, and although they are now discontinued, they're still supported by ECHO, including drivers for Windows 7. Full details, including pics, are here :- http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Di...la24/index.php

The main point in their favour is that the digital processing is done on the PCI card, but all the A-D and D-A processing is done in the 19" rackmount break-out box, away from all the digital noise that permeates the inside of your average computer. This gives the system a very good low-noise performance. There are also enough inputs and outputs to make them ideal for surround-sound mastering and other multi-channel use.

(I can't comment on using these for driving a laser, I only want one for its for audio capabilities...)

the question of the meaning of life and all that:

42 al(l) y'al(l)

These units must be more than they claim to be ;-)

p.s. too much of an open door??

Hi all,

Apologies, not had time to post some photos, hopefully later today...
    Green Alien - got your cheque today - thanks...as soon as it clears i'll post :-)

If anyone else is interested, please send me a private message...

Zoof, yes. I like it though, very algebraic.

The accuracy of timing and the large number of sync options is a Layla speciality. I noticed dither when not using the WDM software driver, which affected the 'bight' of line that quickly leaps from the bottom of the circle to the little vertical line drawn above it in the ILDA pattern that James Lehman converted to WAV file for me, but this doesn't affect the drawing of any element in a scan pattern if it's been drawn properly. The problem is both insignificant, and is related to the older software driver, it isn't based in the hardware, which is fine.

Note also that doing the cap bypass does not affect audio, because they designed these units for a 0V offset, not the usual 2.25V offset found on a DAC output. So if you don't ask it for a DC voltage it won't give you one. They could have sold them as DC coupled if they'd wanted, they'd still be good in any standard audio setup that has its own DC blocking on input, and probably even if it didn't.. Might be wise to switch on Layla and the PC before the power amp, but technically we're supposed to do that anyway.

Default Here they are...8 in total it seems...apologies for poor quality of pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo..jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	15653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(3)..jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	15654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2)..jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	15655Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(4)..jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	15656

Thumbs up Good deal!

I thought this was too good a deal to miss, especially as I wanted a decent sound card for my studio PC, and I haven't been disappointed - my Layla box and PCI card arrived this morning, well packed in a strong box with lots of bubble wrap. I'd already installed the software for my Windows 7 PC, downloaded from the Echo site, and bought a suitable serial cable, so setting the new hardware up was just a matter of fitting the PCI card in a spare slot in the computer, connecting the serial cable between the card and the main box, supplying mains power to the box, booting the computer into the BIOS to disable the onboard sound and then just letting it restart. The drivers were automatically loaded, and the Layla 24 Console software started with a double click on its shortcut. I fired up an MP3 track via Winamp, plugged in my headphones, and nearly got my ears blown out - I'd forgotten to turn down the headphones level, and the Layla box's headphone amp is pretty powerful!
    So far, I've only had time to check the box out this far, but the audio quality, even on headphones, is loads better than the computer's on-board sound - crisper, smoother and clearer.
    I'm looking forward to getting into the detailed workings of this device, especially connecting it up to Ableton Live and checking out its MIDI capabilities, but I'm happy that it's good value for money and have no hesitation in seconding The Doctor's recommendation of Tony as a vendor who is pleasant to deal with and who has consistently kept in touch throughout the deal. £100 for a Layla 24/96 is a real bargain, and it's even cheaper than the last one that I saw on Ebay!

Hi Green Alien,

Glad your Layla arrived safely and hope you enjoy your new toy! :-)
    Any problems, please let me know and if anyone else is interested in one of these, please send me a private message...

T.

Seconded. That's a good review.
    Have ALL the soundcard-DAC people left here? Got to be someone who wants one of these with DC coupling? If so, let me know.