Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Silva, seller of sound cards. :)

Default Tony Silva, seller of sound cards. :)

This is a short review to put in good words for a seller I found on eBay who eBay decided to strike off. Their reasons are not always good. I think they decided he was selling too many, too fast, and as a personal seller that looks bad. If you want to see his profile, look for "tsilva68" on eBay, his feedback record is small but excellent, and might have been more so if they'd let him continue.

I was taking a risk, obviously, as eBay wouldn't tell me why he was struck off, but he had some Layla 24/96 rack units, like James Lehman bought and used with his Laserboy software. I asked if this seller had spare cards, as well as several complete units, and he had two so I really wanted to buy, so I risked it, sending a cheque for the two spare cards and one complete unit. The seller was fully responsive about this at all stages, and came through with the goods. The back story appears to be that he worked for a firm that used several of these units in a very under-utilised way, to get sound from a video stream of some kind in some professional application. The firm went under, the Layla 24/96's were to be thrown out! So a few people salvaged them. They have appeared on eBay from two or three sellers since, at varying prices, about half what they were before this (temporary) bulk supply appeared.

I guess it doesn't matter which seller you buy them from, btu if you have ANY interest in decent multichannel audio I/O for show purposes, have at them while you can. I said I'd put in a word here because he'd helped me, and I think he might have more of them than the other sellers, and as eBay didn't play nice, he might want to sell direct. I'll point him this way because I think it is best if people can communicate directly with him as I did.

As an alternative, for those wanting to buy one with its DC output caps bypassed for laser scan control or other DC coupled applications, I can sell you one, if you're in the UK, or Western Europe (if you're ok with the raw post price). His will cost you £90 each (they used to fetch £200, and no doubt prices will rise once they become rare again). If you want one from me with the caps removed and all channels tested I'll sell for £110. I have one ready because I want to buy a shortwave receiver. I don't mind if it doesn't go, but it would be good if it did because that radio won't stay unsold long. There might hopefully be people here who remember me and can say whether or not they think I can be trusted.

PS. Apparently during salvage, the cables went astray, but they appear to be standard serial RS-232 types. I have an original so I'll post wiring details so people can be sure what is required.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    There might hopefully be people here who remember me and can say whether or not they think I can be trusted.
    No problem Doc... I've dealt with you many times and am happy to say that all transactions went very smoothly indeed.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks for that. Fast too. Nice sig. I lay claim to knowing how the number 42 was devised. me and several people. Douglas Adams says there was no reason, but Stephen Fry says he'll take to the grave a confidence that claims there IS a specific self-explanatory reason. Mine fits. I won't make any lingering suspense, I think it's because of a phrase "all at sixes and sevens". Which had no record I could find among the many speculations online, which is sort of compelling in itself. Douglas Adams would certainly have thought of it even though many seem not to have. The more I think of it the more it fits. But this has nothing to do with anything here so I'll shut up now.

PS. I like the new improved Devil Smiley. Looks like someone stole it from FreeBSD.

Could it be anything to do with:

or is it to do with atomic nuclides, or Gutenberg's Bible or the size of Jerusalem or the length of the Statue of Liberty's arms the capacity of a beer barrel or the boiling point of propane or the number of dots on a dice?

I guess we will never find out.
    Last edited by Doc; 03-23-2010 at 10:32. Reason: added more theories
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Nope. But I like it. A lot.

Default Here I Am

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to The_Doctor for the kind words and the introduction. Just to clear a few things up...

1) I have indeed been suspended by PayPal & Ebay for reasons that are largely still unknown to me. As The_Doctor has intimated it would appear that i basically sold too much equipment, too quickly for their liking and as they are electrical items they deem these to be "high risk", Just what the risk is i have no idea and as PayPal/Ebay will not give a valid reason for my suspension i am currently taking them to court in order to get me funds back. This apprently happens to 1000's of honest Ebay traders each and every week. For anyone interested there is a very good website here which i am using for advice through this process:
    http://www.iwassuspendedfromebay.co.uk/index.html

2) I am a genuine seller and all items i sell were from a company which i used to work for which has now gone under. The company sold lots of their equipment before closing but myself and a few colleagues were allowed to take anything else that was left unsold. This included a number of Layla24 units and their associated PCI Cards. These units were purely used to digitise the left channel audio produced from a number of Sky receivers. That's it, that's all we used them for. We had in the region of 40 or so of these units and i am in possesion of around 8 or 9 (i'd have to have a count up for the exact number!)

3) As you can see we used very little of the capabilities of these units and i really don't know much about the technical aspect of them - so please don't ask! All i do know is that they are all in full working order and were all used in production (in an air-conditioned environment) up until early February of this year. They have not been modified in any way since purchase.

4) All units sold will come with a PCI card and power cable (no serial cable i'm afraid) and cost £90+P&P of £10, so £100 in total. I can only send to the UK and all will be sent by registered post. As i no longer have an active PayPal account i can now only accept cheques and the item will be posted upon that cheque clearing. You should have no worries about me running off to Brazil with your money however! I am 100% genuine and up until PayPal/Ebay decided to make my life a misery had 100% feedback on all items i sold under then name of tsilva68. As you can see, The_Doctor has also purchased a unit off me (post Ebay) and is happy with his purchase.

Thanks for your time. If you're interested in buying or have any questions, please get in touch

Hi Tony.
    Welcome to PL

Interesting Ebay info there, thanks for sharing it.
    Any chance of some pictures of these beasts?

Thanks
    Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Anyone who quotes John Lydon in a sig deserves my helpful efforts...
    Not got any live pics, but as it's in decent shape, it will look like the others. I think there are some good pics on eBay (different sellers, but at least one probably salvaged from same source), but for the best description, go here:
    http://www.echoaudio.com/products/Di...la24/index.php
    Google Images won't be short of pics either.

I still haven't drawn up a wiring note for the absent comms cable but I'll do that soon.
    I can also give analog I/O schematics in PDF to anyone who buys one from Tony and wants to do the capacitor bypass themselves or make other mods. (Any bought from me will have the bypass mod done for DC coupling).

Default Comms cable info...

I've checked the comms cable now. It can be any good quality screened 'Straight through', 'DCE to DTE' type, NOT 'crossover' or 'null modem' type. All 9 pins connected, 1-1, 2-2 etc, such that the cable can be plugged with either end to the interface. Male (pins, not holes) at both ends of cable.

Some sources:
    http://www.yourcablestore.com/25-Foo...232_p_183.html
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...-cable-2m.html

For those wanting to chance eBay, an exclusion search is the best way:
    (serial,RS232,RS-232) cable -(sata,esata,ata,usb,rj45,ps2,ps/2,vga,obd2,obdii,ttl,female,25,db25,F,null,modem)

The signal to noise ratio should be ok with that string but there is still a lot of unrelated stuff there. An inclusion search isn't any better because there's still a lot of irrelevant results, and likely some good cables get excluded if you use strict inclusion terms because people use too many weird titles that don't use correct terms.

Hey there,

Sure i'll get some pics up ASAP for you.
    There won't be many surprises though to be honest...seen one Layla, seen em all ;-)

T.