Thread: Hey Spec....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Hey Spec....

Would you please turn on the "leading whitespace" by default????

I tried to type a paragraph, but it aligns all text at the left edge.

T
    H
    A
    N
    K
    S,

S
    T
    E
    V
    E
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I can't seem to get this one. Any leading whitespace is stripped out of the post block. Something about the database not liking zero fill at the beginning of a table entry. It seems that instead of making a conditional that only looked at the first line it simply strips all of them.

But oddly enough intra-line spacing is also stripped out. I had about 5 spaces between each word here. In ever case it was culled down to 1.
    Indent styles work but theres a quirk. It wraps the line thus in effect just making it act as a block space entry with no way to revert it unless you remove the entire indent block. Which kinda defeats the purpose.
    I... have no idea to even go about fixing this quirk at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I can't seem to get this one. Any leading whitespace is stripped out of the post block. Something about the database not liking zero fill at the beginning of a table entry. It seems that instead of making a conditional that only looked at the first line it simply strips all of them.

But oddly enough intra-line spacing is also stripped out. I had about 5 spaces between each word here. In ever case it was culled down to 1.
    Indent styles work but theres a quirk. It wraps the line thus in effect just making it act as a block space entry with no way to revert it unless you remove the entire indent block. Which kinda defeats the purpose.
    I... have no idea to even go about fixing this quirk at this point.
    on another topic...is there a secure place that people could post their addresses and phone numbers should they choose so I can stop asking people what they are.

I mean is this a good idea or a bad idea. Something like..."so and so" has just reviewed your address

I mean...shit...you dont have anything else better to do except hold my hand...do you???
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Thanks
    for
    trying

• 633 nm
    • 532 nm
    • 647 nm

Well it looks like we can still post tables.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    on another topic...is there a secure place that people could post their addresses and phone numbers should they choose so I can stop asking people what they are.

I mean is this a good idea or a bad idea. Something like..."so and so" has just reviewed your address

I mean...shit...you dont have anything else better to do except hold my hand...do you???
    If people that wished to do that they could create a user group on their profile page that required membership to view.

You get to accept or deny membership of said group and hence; your private info.

Simples
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I have just done this myself as a try out.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Thanks
    for
    trying

• 633 nm
    • 532 nm
    • 647 nm

Well it looks like we can still post tables.

Steve
    You can also do

[CODE]
    [/CODE]

Though that strips preceding spaces till I do it for real, letting it parse the CODE tags:
    Code:
    I tried messing with   and Char 160 but it wasn't having any. The neatest fix might be to tell the forum software to make Char 160 literal instead of treating it as whitespace. Similarly, the BB 'INDENT' tag fails presumably because it isn't allowed to make whitespace, so renders literally as written. Is pointless to use that anyway, it's likely more than one space if it works at all.

[INDENT]TEST

That last could actually indent if the forum software was switched to allow it to indent.

Most browsers strip out leading spaces, and all but one in any subsequent group on a line, so it doesn't matter what the server script says about it. The only practical over-rides are CODE (or PRE) tags, or if you want to format with no scroll-box annoyances, use Char 160 which I have tested in FireFox. It WILL retain the appearance of a literal space, but only if it reaches the browser, so the forum software needs to allow this. Then we can set all the colours and fonts we like to make it look nice.

Here, for the proverbial shits and giggles, is a TEST separated from this subsequent text by 14 instances of Char 160. If the forum can be set to let us see those, then we can do all the block formatting we want.

Ok, I'm done.