Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Service key for Laserscope 700 and 800 series ktp/yag lasers

Default Service key for Laserscope 700 and 800 series ktp/yag lasers

I happened to be in the right place at the right time in my hospital. I had a meeting with the new OR director and he mentioned that he was getting rid of a lot of unused/rarely used equipment and said he was getting rid of a couple of lasers. I am a urologist and have used the ktp/yag lasers for years but now it seems that holmium is a better choice for us surgically. Anyway, my ears perked up and asked what he was going to do with them. He asked me if I wanted them and hesitated about a millisecond and said yes. I now have in my position, a series 700 ktp/yag that requires external water cooling and a newer series 800 with an internal chiller. The 700 series was manufactured in 1990 and the 800 in 1993. Anyway, after some slight rewiring magic so that I could use my existing home 240 volt current and my dryer plug, I was able to start up the 800 series laser. Initially I received an emergency stop message but after a while, was able to fire it up. I did received an error message that the green aim beam was not available and then later, that the ktp power modulation had failed. I was able to loosen up the servo for the power modulation and finally get it going again with an added bonus of the green aim beam working if I wanted it instead of the red. This laser is supposed to be able to achieve 40 watts of ktp power and 100 watts of yag. I find that I can't set the ktp over 30 watts and I am assuming that given a 17 year old laser that was recently transported, that the alignment might not be spot on. I downloaded the service manual and am stumped at the service key requirement that should be installed at J18. I was hoping for a simple 2 wire jumper but alas it is not. Does anyone know how I can get a service key so that I can get into the service mode of the laser?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Replied by private message.

Welcome to PL,

Doctor, you should be aware that laserscope KTPs are a sensitive issue here, because of recent attempts by a "somewhat mentally ill radical youth named Allen" to use one unsafely for laser shows.

That said, glad to have you on board. We'll be glad to help out if we can. We have quite a few MDs here and quite a few folks who work on laserscopes for display purposes. Usually the first thing removed is the medical computer.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Default Thanks

Thanks for the heads up, I think I have seen the guy you refer to on the net.

The laser I have working is the 800 series and my thought for it was a DIY CNC machine. The esaiest but not most efficient would be to use it through the fibers I have. All I would have to do is connect it to an x-y plotter type device and then set up the computer to drive the plotter. At some point, I will need to convert to a direct beam but that is down the road. One of my friends in the TOM Creative Group is a professional lighting person. He was the lighting guy for Sting for a while. He has another friend who did the lasers for Pink Floyd. We thought we could use him as a resource once we convert the 700 series laser to be used for a light show. I definitely don't want bad advice and after reading for a while here, felt like I had found a good home/resource. I want to do things safely. Being a physician, I tend to be a sticker for details and always all my i's dotted and t's crossed. This looks like the place to get good advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ppporch View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I think I have seen the guy you refer to on the net.

The laser I have working is the 800 series and my thought for it was a DIY CNC machine. The esaiest but not most efficient would be to use it through the fibers I have. All I would have to do is connect it to an x-y plotter type device and then set up the computer to drive the plotter. At some point, I will need to convert to a direct beam but that is down the road. One of my friends in the TOM Creative Group is a professional lighting person. He was the lighting guy for Sting for a while. He has another friend who did the lasers for Pink Floyd. We thought we could use him as a resource once we convert the 700 series laser to be used for a light show. I definitely don't want bad advice and after reading for a while here, felt like I had found a good home/resource. I want to do things safely. Being a physician, I tend to be a sticker for details and always all my i's dotted and t's crossed. This looks like the place to get good advice. Thanks.
    Hola,

If you need fiber launchers, contact Laserman532, he has what you need (knowledge/parts/and the T-shirt).

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Default Thanks for the help

Thank you Steve and Adam. I really appreciate it.

Lightbulb

Hello Doc

Welcome to PL...

Couple-comments - First, yes, along with 'mixedgas', I, too, have to voice my support for 'caution' with these - I am not directing that at you - clearly, you, a Doctor, that has performed surgery with these, has not only had proper-training with these types (pulsed / high-power Class IV lasers) of lasers, but well-understands the inherent-dangers with these systems, if used by 'untrained' individuals.

I am sure Steve (mixedgas) has 'filled you in' with some of the 'concerns', via PM, but suffice to-say, the relatively easy-availability of these lasers on the 'open market', combined with the CDRH's woeful-state, in terms-of 'Enforcement', relative to our 'industry' (laser shows) is the basis for the 'Caution'.

The 'Caution' is #1 - PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT sell this system to ANYone that cannot produce to you a current, valid Variance #, from the FDA / CDRH, showing that they have approval to use / incorporate pulsed Class IV lasers into public shows.

In 'asking' this, I am not trying to 'assign motives' or 'question' your undoubtedly good-judgement (as-if, as a clearly well-educated person, you would not 'already' feel / act this way) but I simply 'ask' this from the 'standpoint' of, if EVERYone (including sellers on 'eBay', where many of these 'show-up' shockingly 'cheap', and with, I am sure, never any verification that the buyer IS actually 'qualified to own' such a system) were to 'help' keep these only in the hands of those well-qualified (WITH Class IV / pulsed safety training / experience) IMO, there would-be far less-potential for public injuries and/or industry-threatening 'moratoriums' on these lasers (affecting these being converted / used in show-systems, by those that actually know what they're doing)

And #2, PLEASE, do not 'disseminate' any detailed 'HOW-TO CONVERT' info, you know-of / discover, on this site. This is why Steve sent you a 'PM' instead of answering in 'public'.

Now, SOME 'accuse' Pro Sho-co individuals, like myself, and others, here, that this 'conservativism' / 'protection of the info' is so we can 'monopolize' the industry, etc - But in actuality, it is this type of 'BS-attitude' that plagues the industry, cause, frankly, there is plenty of work to go around (if you're willing to hustle / work hard, and travel a bit, etc) and no-one Co. COULD 'do it all', so, a bit of 'healthy competition' is GOOD -

- BUT, only when done by Co's that are LEGAL and SAFE - where Pro Co's get 'irritated' / start to be 'protective' is when these little 'punk kids' (and yeah, I can say that about someone half my-age! get ahold of these SURGICAL lasers, 'hack' a conversion together, and call-themselves "a laser show Co" - NO variance, NO ethics, cutthroat-pricing ($800. for a corporate laser-show (!!!) and in all-ways, a 'time-bomb' waiting to go off / accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, I could go on and on with 'examples', but when you have a 'few spare hours', search "Laserscope" in this forum, and you'll quickly learn the reasons for 'concern'... and this Forum is the most-well-known, of its kind, for disseminating REAL / TRUE Factual info, and having-host to REAL / TRUE Professionals / laser-experts, unlike some 'other forums' out there, where many (not all) members seem to think that a laser is only-good for cutting electrical tape / popping balloons and lighting matches...

But I will leave you with one 'shining' example, that I believe well-makes 'my point' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65_JJrLFZ8 - THIS is what 'we' - those that understand the power / danger - but also, the true potential, when converted / used 'properly' - of these lasers, hope to get you on-board with 'curbing'- we need more 'voices' - especially from experienced individuals, like youself, that understand what these lasers are capable-of, to 'speak up', and 'help put fins on the rockets' , here...

Thanks, in-advance, for any support / voice you can give, here, as-to the 'REASONS' for only having individuals that have, at least, SOME training with pulsed-lasers / know what they are doing, having these in thier hands .... Make sense?

peace, Doc...
    j

EDIT - Hah - saw your posting you must have put-up, while I was typing my 'novel', here... I'm not exacly known for my 'brevity'... Anyhoo, if you need some help, down the line, I 'might' be able to help ya out... http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1023771 ...so, 'KIT'...
    cheers..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-28-2010 at 17:45.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Default Thanks all

I really appreciate the advice everyone has given me. The YouTube video shows how stupid people can be. Makes me think of the old joke about not looking directly into the laser beam with your remaining good eye. After all the advice here, I have rethought redoing one laser for a laser show. I am not a professional in this area and don't want the liability of someone else using something I modified that could injure people. I still like the cnc idea and have decided if I modify one for a laser show, the show will have to be mine. I think the best plan for now is to try and do the cnc and have a "spare" laser for parts in case something fails on the 800.

Thanks again everyone.

I'm still amazed at the video, no eye protection and lighting a joint.

Hey Doc -

After all the advice here, I have rethought redoing one laser for a laser show. I am not a professional in this area and don't want the liability of someone else using something I modified that could injure people.
    Don't wanna 'belabor' the point, but I also don't wanna sound like I am 'discouraging you' from considering conversion for 'show use' - You'd be an example of someone that 'deserves' the help from others, here - we KNOW you 'know what you're doing', relative to safety, etc, and would be much more-inclined to help, when it came to helping you do a conversion, for show-use... So, if/when you decide to go that route, please don't feel 'discouraged', cool? I just don't wanna come-across as some kind of 'heavy', it's just that...

I'm still amazed at the video, no eye protection and lighting a joint.
    ...yeah, me / us-too, and so, like I said - I feel like 'education is the best weapon' at this point, since the Feds are so occupied with other stuff / understaffed, etc... So, this is where the 'passionate postings' come from, dig?

Will be keen to see your werk, whatever it ends-up being (a 532 CNC sounds cool...)
    peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    LOL @ the comments on that video... especially the 40000 MW laser comment, I almost fell out of the chair laughing "it would burn a hole through the moon"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I open a used, old, desk at work today, and what do I find, but my boss's old 800 series service key hack.
    PM sent, its easy, of the 10 pins, 6 are one and 4 are the other

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...