Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tip about aixiz housings and lens

Default A tip about aixiz housings and lens

get some of that tape stuff thats used for sealing joints in plumbing (dont know its correct name), wrap it round the lens just once and then screw into the aixis housing.

no spring is required and the lens does not move around, like when using the spring.

works a treat

Highlight below this line (click and hold your mouse button) -

although i would like to take credit for this idea, simon told it to me. so thanks simon
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

the stuff you are using is called teflon tape

PTFE Tape, ya know

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    get some of that tape stuff thats used for sealing joints in plumbing (dont know its correct name), wrap it round the lens just once and then screw into the aixis housing.

no spring is required and the lens does not move around, like when using the spring.

works a treat

Highlight below this line (click and hold your mouse button) -

although i would like to take credit for this idea, simon told it to me. so thanks simon
    Nice tip! thanks

It is good. I used kilopoise grease but that's messy stuff. Teflon tape might well be better, as it has low friction and will be displaced to fit gaps well. Kilopoise grease is a very standard thing in many movable optics though, it gives a really nice viscous slide, makes it easy to set stuff. Still awkward for fine tuning laser diode focus though because it takes a moment for a sprung lens insert to settle against the holding thread. With teflon tape, the focus you see at the instant of adjustment is likely the focus you'll get after many days, assuming temperature based lens distortion doesn't happen.

You should see all of the RF cavities in our lab, each tuning shaft has teflon tape on it for this exact same reason. I usually tell people its to keep the RF from leaking out though

When aligning diodes I usually add a a few drops of epoxy just to sure that nothing drifts around, just be sure you don't use CA (superglue) adhesives or you will fog up your lens with the fumes.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    You should see all of the RF cavities in our lab, each tuning shaft has teflon tape on it for this exact same reason. I usually tell people its to keep the RF from leaking out though
    what kind of RF cavities are you using that dont have locking nuts?

just get some TX/RX cans and never look back

(apparently TX/RX is now part of bird? whats it with RF companies and everyone buying everyone out all the time? *hugs his GE then Comnet then Ericsson then M/A-Com then Tyco now Harris radio* lol)

Thanks for the Tip! Those things are really annoying when aligning more than 2 lasers. I can't wait to try this out.

I posted this about 18 months ago.

Don't make me go Arctos on your ass.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I posted this about 18 months ago.

Don't make me go Arctos on your ass.
    did you?

sorry missed it
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat