Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Latest Plan - Experts please read

Hi Gold,
    Only visable light to ordinary crystals and rocks.

the only crystals we have gotten to respond to IR have only been YAG and ND:YVO4 , thats at 808 and 840
    KTP at 1064 (632 green) and LBO at 946 (blue)
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

I am new to this but I belive that some of the flouride doped minerials will excite in IR. I have some "blue john" and many other rocks so I will give it a try.

I do have a piece of quartz that seems to fire out a beam when illuminated. It must be an internal reflection of the original beam, but it comes out at about 30 degrees from the side of the crystal no matter how you illuminate.

I am involved in the mining industry, so I am going to take one of the IR units down an old mine and see what happens. I know of places that light up like the seven dwarfs mine when illuminated in UV.

Hey anyone played with a UV laser ? Spec ?

Gold

Actually, I've putzed with various crystals and stones and a "blacklight flashlight" (UV) -- FUN!!

The pink and clear sliver Marconi's talking about is a simple aragonite - or is it calcite? - infused agate that's been sliced...fluoresces nicely... think: 80's - era fuscia that the girli-girl crowd wore too much...

Quartz, the "dirty" kind does all kinda of neat stuff, though the clear kinds is fun with lasers to bend around...

A good grade of opal is wild, as well...and if you can get a hold of a fair grade of garnet, it makes a cool glow.

Some beryl stones kinda glow almost a "ghost-y blue" with blacklight.

Uh....if you don't remember all this kinda stuff, get one of those "photon flashlights" and swap out the clear bulb with a UV bulb...then take your new tweak toy out to a rock shop or whatever alterna store...I dragged Marconi into one, and he kinda went nutz with the stuff I set him up with...if your tweak toy makes them fluoresce, as well as your laser toys .

Added bonus: those blacklight bars can come out of the closet, now that you have a new thing to play with

Of note: they do have blacklight bulbs for fluorescent light fixtures, as well as the cheaper grade of black light light bulbs, etc...I personally prefer the 14" fluorescent bulb replacement - much brighter
    Responses always welcome...whether intelligent replies or smart answers

Hey K_car you share my fasination. That bit in Snow White when the dwarfs go into the diamond mine !!!!!!! Hi Hoeeeeeeeee...

I have been down several mines with UV and its fun. Most of my collection is gold no good for lasering...

I am hoping to experiment as much as I can with illuminating rocks, I just need that blue laser.... I will post some better pictures of my quartz experiments at the weekend.

Gold

Gold is good for lasering, aquireing it
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

Er....more that I simply love things that glow Something deep inside me (no matter my casual facade) turns childlike upon any chance discovery of yet another "glowie" :P

Probably that's why Marconi hid the argon laser lately...:P
    Responses always welcome...whether intelligent replies or smart answers

I have been and got my collection from its hiding place so this weekend I am going to post a few pictures.

In fact I was going to do 1kg of gold nuggets illumanted by greens and reds, in a subtle sort of way, spelling out Photonlexicon. Lets see how it looks.

Do you think I could get any good results using my split beam green (see modifactions thread Spec thinks its hopping betweem TEM00 and TEM02) onto a large quartz crystal (hoping for some sort odd inphase interference pattern)?

I will post images this weekend.

Gold

Kewl Gold...Be lookin forward to seeing those 8)
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Oh...I forgot to ask...
    Just where is this hiding place ...hehe :twisted:
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

OK I finally went to the hiding place and got some rocks.

I really cany get to grips with taking images with a digital camera and lasers, the view in real life is amazing, I didnt know natural gold reacted to lasers so well. I will get some close up images as soon as I have time .

In the imgaes below I used 1 kg of gold nuggets and some amethyst and quartz.

First with green.

And then some red.

Hows that for sparkles...

Gold