Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasermods Claims for big improvements with undisclosed mod

Default Lasermods Claims for big improvements with undisclosed mod

Lasermod has been talking about a new mod. I understand his reluctance to make it pubic, but it has really got me thinking.

I have always followed his posts, and I think he is very honest about his claims, hes jumped the gun before, with the 45mw mod (a great mod just a little overstated), and he said so. He is someone I always read becuase hes always a good read...but it has really got me thinking this time.......

I think I am probablly wrong but he mentions thermal effenicy and breaking the crystals so what about this.

In the image above configuration 1 represents a standard config, and option 2 is the proposed new config (based on lasermods thermal clues). The only "addition" is an airgap. The total number of surfaces and the total air path of the IR is the same. The only way this would work is if one of the conversion processes generated more heat than the other, and heat infulenced efficeicy (I know that bit is true), and that the airgap did not reduce laser effeciency too much.

Given my lack of knowledge of the laser mechanics, I am working trying to use logic and clues from laser mods text. The only other option I can think of is in config 3 below.

This again seperates the thermal components in the hope that this is what Laser mod is talking about.

The orientation of the KTP can not changed (is that true), so what are the other possibilites. Bengal talked abbout changing the output mirror, can you explain how you could do this ? I always thought the mirrors were on the crystal.

Please excuse my ignorance, I am in the honey moon phase, I just want to know MORE.

All advice and information gratefully absorbed.

Gold.

Reply from Laser Mod!!!!

Thanks mate, and for the kind words.

You are on the right track, the configuration 3 looks similar to a test model I have here.

The mod is simple but it works - there is however a few glitches to watch out for - all will be revealed soon.

It seems the big secret is out now.
    removing the glue from between the crystal section and the diode housing.
    and securing it back with artic silver.
    Woo hoo.. now that was worth waing for.. maybe.. put my life on hold for that.. not!
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

This seems to me just another way to change alignment. I am gong to give it a go anyway, but its strange no one has posted a sucess for this mod yet....

The only posts on greenlasers so far report a drop in power ?

Does anyone here have experience of using Casix MCAs in a leadlight ?

Gold

Dont know about casix sucess,
    But the lasermod mod, seems to be a bit perplexing.
    if you take something that needs to be cooled, then why would you affix it to something that is a heat producer?

Questions that lead to the secrets of the universe

Yes that was my conclusion too (see diagrams 3 above).

My guess is that the increase that LM has seen has come from better alignment, and I am sure that the laser is more stable, but I doubt much/any power increase comes from increased capacity to deal with heat (its not cooling is it).

Could there be a explanation if the beam emitted form the diode matched the dimensions of the MCA better with the removal of 1mm of glue ?

Gold

i have found many assy's are misaligned , some quite badly
    if you look at the ir filter end, you can see the alignment, looks like circles off center from each other

Bengal

Is alignment as simple as making sure you have as much area avaiable, how impoartant is the orinatation of the components.

A URL for your boy http://cctv.icode.co.uk:81/index.htm...Bird%20Box%201

My roosting/nesting blue tit (sorry about the camera quality).

Regards

Gold

The optical components need to be exactly as they are in the LL . front and back reference, its the sideways alignment that is off , if everything is centered on top of the next piece, it should be better, now some may need some fine tuning. a hair this way or the other.
    one thing, in your diagram, you dont have the output coupler mirror shown. if you miss this part, no workie

ps. a to-3 style heat sink fits over the mca brass piece perfectly

Do you have a better diagram showing mirrors etc....

Looking again at my images, is there an optimal ratio of KTP to ND ? Is the comprimised in anyway with budget MCAs ?

I would guess that splitting them like in my diagram 2, would be very inefficient, is that right ?

Gold