Thread: MaXYZmodule >100mw review

Default MaXYZmodule >100mw review

MaXYZmodules 100mw Red Module

This is a review of the Maxyzmodule red 100 mw unit

http://home.mindspring.com/~maxyz/ma...ules/id14.html.

This unit was purchased directly from K_Car via PhotonLexicon. Prior to this purchase my experience with red lasers it limited to the the pointer types, and some brief exposure to HeNe units. I am of course familar with green lasers and was well aware that this red light would be no way as bright as a green.

The unit arrived 12 days from shipping date (10~14 days quoted) and no problems were experienced with the shipping at all.

The unit was packed in a very "green" fasion using Walmart bags for padding. The laser itself was in TWO anti static bags and had experienced no problems in transit.

The unit was quickly hooked up to a suitable PSU and came immeadiatly to life. All the silly experiments were given imeadate priority a baloons were popping from 20 feet, and bin bags melting etc. I would like to point out that this is a powerful red, and you should take all necessary safty precauitions its not a toy. The quality of the beam becomes more apparent with use, many nice interference pattens have been observed during experiments.

The laser is housed in a heat sink that would fit confortably inside a pack of 20
    cigarettes, so its quite small and compact. The connection is via a 3 core cable with an XLR type strain relief cable connector. I have not yet used the blanking in anger but it does work and makes this module all the more functional.

No printed instructions were provided with the unit, but these were already emailed to me by K_Car and as such operating perameters/cable conections were already known.

For comparison purposes I will be comparing the beam to;

1. Standard 110 leadlight breen (very stable)
    2. Modified red key chain pointer
    3. 5 mw 630nm AtlasNova
    4. 40 mw green leadlight

The beam shots surprised me, I wasnt expecting the Maxyzmodule to be more visable than the 5mw 110 but it was, and by quite away. The difference was a lot more noticible in a very dark room or with the addition of some smoke.

The Maxyzmodule obviously far out paced the keychain pointer, but it does show how good this pointer mod is, it must be the most powerful keychain red going (unless you know different).

The 5mw 630nm AtlasNova is a great little pointer and its a bright stock configuration, but outpaced by my keychain red with the mod. I must say the Atlasnova produces a better beam than the key chain pointer and is worth every penny.

The power of green is well demonstrated by the 40mw leadlight beam shot comparison, where the visabilty of an exeptional green pointer shines.

I must say the beam quality of the Maxyzmodule was far superior to all the other comparison units. It is not perfect, and does have a distinct pattern but it is very concentrated and clean apart from a distinct horizontal line which you can see either side of the dot.

Heat dissapation was excellent thoughout testing, I have no doubt that this module lives up to the makers claims for a near constant duty cycle. After 1 hour on continuios use it was no more than warm. The current consumption stayed constant thought the test period (after 5 minutes of warm up, my unit was consuming 177ma), this includes one 24 hour run during which time the unit performed faultlessly.

One nice experiment is to mix the red and green with a quartz crystal, you get a really nice lime yellow rock (which is very bright).

All in all I am really very happy with this unit, cheap shipping, and a very nice module, I will be looking out for more MaxyzModules as and when new varients become available (come on Marconi how about a 200mw green).

Congrats on a great module.

Gold

Ah , So thats what happened to those Walmart bags... :lol:

http://home.mindspring.com/~maxyz/ma...ules/id14.html

http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/MaXYZ

Thank You Gold...
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Hi Marconi

I will be making one of thoses focus adjusters later today. Perhaps you should post an image in this thread for the benifit of other MaXYZmodule owners.

I am working on the PTZ bracket at the moment ! :lol:
    Gold

Done deal :mrgreen:

"My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF