Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thanks to Rob Stanwax - Laserwave UK

Hey Buffo.. Talking as/for/like me without me..

I have a feeling I actually gave "few" tips and answers to PL members for free, and why not to do so?!

But business I do is slightly different metter. According to our records, only 3% of our customers are PL members (and most of those were given bit better price then I do normally ).

Now, every one of those 3% know that they will receive 101% of my attention when needed, but surely overall I should focus on major 97% that feeds me and my family (which I haven't got), shouldn't I.

Obviously every drop in the business is important, but.... Well I have never done any business studies in my life, but I am sure someone here did and will want to tell me what should I do and how should I behave. At the moment I do my best to enjoy my life, be a good man and use lasers as often as I can.

Let's talk lasers and leave crap like this to woman!

Quote Originally Posted by pelosh View Post
    Let's talk lasers and leave crap like this to woman!
    Well said Sir.

Just for record, hoping to be not out topic...

I must to say an huge "Thank You" to:

- Rob *Stanwax* for mountings, dichros and mirrors;
    - Martin Pelikan - *pelosh* for red and blue modules;
    - Marc *Gottaluvlasers* for green module and Scanpro40 galvos.

They all are the "fathers" of my last creature 3.2W RGB projector.

They deserve the best.
    Absolutely.

Great guys they are!
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

WOW-

im sorry i usually dont respond to threads like this, esepcially this old, but i find these comments a little disturbing.

and to be quite honest, im QUITE surprised ot hear some of what i am hearing from some pretty respectable members/sellers.

I could never imagine NOT giving someone support or help or advice based on if they buy something form me or not. Now look, ill be the first to admit, sometimes it is VERY frustrating when you talk to someone and help them immensely only to find out that they arent going to purchase anything. It does feel like you just got taken advantage of. HOWEVER- i am still more than happy to do it. Because, to be quite honest- you never know when that customer or potential customer will call you back for that sale or refer someone else to you after the support and help you gave them.

Thats a part of business. A customer walks into a Plasma TV store and asks a bunch of questions, goes home and buys the TV on plasmatv(dot)com for $200 less.

I have a pretty cool little story for everyone here and to be honest, im not sure if this person even knows what kind of impact he has had on my business mentality.

about 3.5-4 years ago when CT. LAsers was first starting to become more popular in the sales area, a member here (pretty active one at that. i'll let him chime in if he wants) bought a "Danger" sign from me. $10 on my site and i think $3-$5 for shipping. i recognized the name and actually called him (i think i called him at first. i dont remember. it was either a call or email) and told him i was refunding his money and that he didnt have to pay for the sign. i was just going to send it to him free of charge. It was refreshing for me to see this "hobbyist" from PhotonLexicon PURCHASE a danger sign from me so that he can start to do things the right way and safely. So i sent it to him. he, of course, was very appreciative. and we talked a few times on the phone as he asked me MANY MANY questions and ALOT of advice on other equipment. At this point i have collected ZERO dollars from him. in fact, i have in essence paid him by sending him a free sign.

as of about 3 months ago, he has now spent just about $20,000 with me. Right in that neighborhood. Now, by the mentality of some of the comments in this thread, this customer would have been an inconvenience to some of you other sellers. And you would have overlooked him as a valuable asset. BAD IDEA!!!!

I dont want to divulge too many numbers or business dealigns of CT. Lasers, but lets just say that *JUST* from PL members sales, in the last 4 years, I have grossed over $200,000 in sales. Thats >$50,000 / year. Approx $4200 / month!! This is not me bragging or being arrogant. this is me being completely and totally honest and perhaps even giving some friendly advice to say, "You *NEVER,* EVER* know who your customer is!!!"

ESPECIALLY these days where reviews of a seller/business are only a few clicks away, it is EXTREMELY dangerous to treat *ANY* customer or potential customer as a nuisance or to treat someone less important becasue they didnt spend any moeny with you.

If any of you sellers or other business' dont want to give advice or opinions or help to "hobbyists" i will GLADLY field any and ALL phone calls and emails from these inquirires. In fact, and i am being 100% serious, i will even PAY YOU for these leads.

Sorry again for commenting here. It just really kinda shocked me.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Wow - this thread sure got dug up from the grave!

To reiterate: I have no problem with someone trying to make money off the hobbyist crowd, so long as they are also willing to be an active, participating member of the community. And admittedly, Martin (from Kvant) has been participating more lately than he had been last spring. Besides, that wasn't the point of my original post(s) above.

My point was that if someone comes in here with the attitude that "I'll only answer questions if people buy my stuff", then you can be damn sure I'll get pissed off and jump in their shit for it. (As I'm sure others will.)

The reason PL is so successful is because everyone helps everyone. We all do our part. That's damn uncommon among Internet forums, and it's something worth fighting to protect.

Or, to put it another way, it only takes a few selfish assholes to ruin a good thing for everyone.

Adam

Now back to your regularly-scheduled program...

Default q

Anything I develop I want to share for free because this is my hobby and I like to do it. I can see the other side of it when the butter for the bread is involved. I can afford to do it because it doesn't really cost me anything. Ask away. If I know I'll be glad to help you.