Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenometer Pro Review

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but "Physically embedding an Arduino board inside a commercial product does not require you to disclose or open-source any information about its design."
    -http://arduino.cc/en/Main/FAQ
    That's nice, but it doesn't mention anything about embedding the libraries you guys are building against; the physical board is covered by different licensing to the software.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...0&d=1273542014

This picture clearly shows a metallized Mylar foil shield.
    That plug was made, and is not the original one to the head. That style is also not used in production units because the wires were too thin and wimpy to stand up to repeated flexing.

That's nice, but it doesn't mention anything about embedding the libraries you guys are building against; the physical board is covered by different licensing to the software.
    I guess you didn't read the link then.

"Using the Arduino core and libraries for the firmware of a commercial product does not require you to release the source code for the firmware."

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMaster View Post
    That plug was made, and is not the original one to the head. That style is also not used in production units because the wires were too thin and wimpy to stand up to repeated flexing.
    That doesn't affect the fact that you have horrible noise pickup issues.

At most the meter jumps a value of a milliwatt, two at higher powers - the noise is virtually invisible on my oscilloscpe.

You prepared to bet your variance on that?

You prepared to bet your variance on that?
    I guess I would if I had one, however now that I have studied the meter running for a few minutes with my Spectra Physics 127 HeNe, it does seem to "bounce" a bit more than I would like. It wasn't bouncing to any unusual numbers though, just 17-18mW.

Drlava had already suggested some sample averaging and I plan on incorporating that into the firmware immediately.

What's the error at full scale?

Try this: make a call on your cellphone. Put it on the bench a foot or so away from the meter with the call in progress. What happens next?

Have you done *any* accuracy or resolution characterization? And yet you're selling it with accuracy figures that just can't be even close to correct.

What's the tolerance stackup on your input circuitry?

What's the drift with temperature?

You're building a measurement device here. The design needs to be better than this.

How about calibration? Any support for that other than zero adjustment?
    Last edited by heroic; 05-12-2010 at 13:20.

Try this: make a call on your cellphone. Put it on the bench a foot or so away from the meter with the call in progress. What happens next?

Have you done *any* accuracy or resolution characterization? And yet you're selling it with accuracy figures that just can't be even close to correct.

You're building a measurement device here. The design needs to be better than this.

We have tested it. It's accurate to within 5%. If I had the money to throw away on building a $1500 meter, I wouldn't be selling it for $400. The meter works that's all I can see. when I put a 100mw laser onto the sensor, the meter shows 100mw +/- 5% does the same thing with a 2 Watt laser. I'm not an electrical engineer. I'm a freaking hobby laserist trying to offer up a meter to hobby laserists that would like to know if the 100mw laser they bought is really putting out close to that.. Am I happy with the results thus far? Hell yes! Have we had problems? Hell yes! Have we addressed those problems? Hell yes!

I will always work to better my products within my limited resources.

Heh, I'd like to see lasersbee's meters going though an investigation like this

Calibration is done via potentiometers inside the thermopile head.