Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MATilda is here

Awesome work guys!

I assume I've interpreted correctly that once you move beyond the single power board (giving 1 buffered ILDA output), you then get another 2 buffered ILDA outputs per output board. So the options are:

1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 or 15 buffered outputs per power board.

Please count me in for 1 power board and 1 output board?

Out of interest will it be technically possible to daisy chain one of the buffered outputs to a second power board, and what considerations need to be made for interlock and shutter signals?

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Awesome work guys!

I assume I've interpreted correctly that once you move beyond the single power board (giving 1 buffered ILDA output), you then get another 2 buffered ILDA outputs per output board. So the options are:

1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 or 15 buffered outputs per power board.

Please count me in for 1 power board and 1 output board?

Out of interest will it be technically possible to daisy chain one of the buffered outputs to a second power board, and what considerations need to be made for interlock and shutter signals?
    Thanks

Yes, you got it in one. They step up in odd numbers. Number of outputs = (2n-1) where 'n' is no. of boards.

Yes is is perfectly feasible to 'cascade' boards to further expand capability.
    The maximum limit to *stacking* is 7 output boards per power board i.e. 15 outputs (this is due to the current ceiling from the power supply (~1A) and on board diodes).
    However there is nothing to stop you daisy chaining or cascading more "stacks" on a new power board.

e.g. If you had two stacks of boards, each (7 output & 1 PSU). Then you could get 29 buffered outputs! By feeding the signal output from 1 port into the signal in of the other stack.

I will double check about the interlocks+shutter to make sure I'm giving you 100% correct information.

Regards,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

on each output the interlock is shorted - pins 4 & 17 are joined, so if that ilda lead should come out just that one projector will drop out. Shutter signal is passed to all outputs - unbuffered.
    if you did want to daisy chain there is no reason why you couldnt split the input lead and feed 2 MATilda inputs from 1 dac ouput the opamps are high impedance j-fet input devices.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I've notice Rob has posted while I've been typing this, but I'll keep this as is, even if some of this has been addressed!

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I will double check about the interlocks+shutter to make sure I'm giving you 100% correct information.
    That would be great. The reason I raised those queries was because of a couple of thoughts that came to mind thinking about these great boards...

• Would the interlock loop be connected individually per output board or daisy chained across the entire array, effectively so that all projectors would be affected by a failure in the interlock condition between the controller and the power board?
    • Given that the controller supplies a shutter signal, what requirements do each projector need to conform to in order to control adequate drive power to keep all shutters open; and is there a logical maximum number of shutters that could be signalled off a single shutter signal without the current dropping below "shutter open" threshold? E.g. must not use the signal to directly drive the shutter.
    • Other than defining the shutter control signal as "This is a unipolar analogue signal whose voltage range is between 0V and 5 volts. The shutter signal is referenced to the Ground pin (#25). A voltage level of 0 volts shall close the shutter so that no light is emitted from the graphics scanners. A voltage level of +5 volts shall fully open the shutter. This is a high- impedance control signal NOT intended to directly drive the shutter device.", does the ILDA standard additionally define a minimum current? And if so, what bearing would that have on daisy-chained outputs?

On a separate note, for those running more than 3 colour signals per projector, how might these be accommodated?

Will the Projector return be passed trough over the boards?

We (ab)use the Projector return to "start" the projectors

and will color output 4 5 and 6 still be passed trough, I think in the future many people will add the 4th color (445nm) to there projectors.

Ilda standard states that projector return should be shorted at the signal source (in this case the splitter) ... so I believe this is compliant

@ mccarrot - I take it that the projector return you are refering to is pin 12 in which case no its not included. The extra colour lines are not passed through - they would have to be buffered also and would have gone against our original plan of making a simple device. Adding another 3 buffered lines would have doubled the numer of chips on the board adding to the size, cost and lowering the total number that could be stacked when largely within this group its unlikely to be used.

@ taggalucci - the shutter signal should be amplified within the projector as it does not have enough drive to operate a shutter as you pointed out. The signal is supplied on each output but will need its own trigger circuit. My Ilda projector interfaces that will be here shortly have just that, circuitry to drive a shutter based on the ilda signal. My shoeboxes have this circuitry already implemented.

for someone wanting to run a projector using more colour lines the relevant pins could be joined on the power board ilda in and out to provide this(these) signal(s) . Then the powerboard would be able to operate a RGBB projector.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Just to let everybody know - production of this has been held up a little. This is a joint project between myself and Dan Briggs - dunno what the lazy bugger has been doin for the last week when he should have been making these. Bloody students ya just can't rely on them!

Rob

Sack him off Rob, I expect he can afford to be out of work with all the ££$$$ he making off those diodes....

bloody students!!

what do i pay my taxes for? exams arent important dan lasers are

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat