Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - NRG 1000mw RGV 40k Laser Projector

Default Review - NRG 1000mw RGV 40k Laser Projector

This is a prototype projector

since i received this projector the following has been changed in future models -

- full analogue modulation
    - CNI 404nm

Ill start with the spec –

Price £1199

40k scanners, not sure of the make
    35000 points/second 20 deg
    40000 points/second 15 deg
    50000 points/second 8 deg
    60000 points/second 5 deg

Lasers –

150mw 532nm CNI, TTL modulation
    500mw 650nm CNI, TTL modulation
    2x 150mw 405nm unknown make TTL modulation

Ill start with the outside, working inside and then last the output.

Safety! As with the previous NRG projector I reviewed this projector comes with a key switch, Scanfail signal detector and interlock. The key cannot be removed from the lock in the on position

NRG sell an emergency stop switch with a long cable, the key cannot be removed from the key switch in the on position. The emergency stop is an extra and does not come as part of the standard package.

The outside –

The case is very well built and extremely solid, it also has some weight to it, I love the bars (handles) on either side, it makes carrying the laser very easy. The case has an adjustable bar/bracket for hanging the laser, one thing I didn’t like about the bar is the small allen key screws to lock it into place. I can imagine this being very difficult when holding it up high trying to attaching it to a trust. The allen key screws should be replaced with butterfly ones that can be done up by hand.

the laser arrived in a nice padded flight case

Inside –

As with most “off the shelf” projectors there is some glue inside preventing things from moving, make of this what you will. The inside is pretty tight with little room to spare, one thing I did pick up on is the lack of dust filters on the two fans blowing air into the projector. I will mention this to NRG

The output –

When I first got the projector and turned it on I was looking on the wall at the beam to try see how many lasers were inside and I thought there was only one 405nm. But turns out there’s actually two they are just aligned perfectly and haven’t moved whatsoever even after being posted.

The green produces an excellent beam, although the red produces a nice beam its very big as expected with most red modules and the 405nm produces a nice small beam although very dark.

The red – the module is a CNI so that means its very well made and will last long but the beam is very big and not good for projecting images. So it’s a kind of 50/50 really. On the previous NRG projector I reviewed it had dual diodes which produced a very tight beam.

The 405nm – they produce a excellent tight beam and are aligned perfectly but they are to under powered for the red and green. I understand that using 405 brings the cost right down of the projector but personally I feel a 473nm is needed in this projector. It should be noted that NRG are happy to upgrade to a 473nm at the request of a customer.

All the lasers are TTL modulation which is a shame as this limits the projectors to 7 colours. Due to the limited time I had this projector I was unable to test the power output of each laser but as two of them are CNI I have no doubt they are producing the stated powers.

NRG clearly state what is being purchased when buying this projector so people know the colour of each laser and the modulation type.

The projector does have a built in DMX but its aimed at people who have a DAC to get the full potential out the projector.

As you can see from the below pics I really struggled to pick the 405 up, in real life it does look a bit brighter.

it doesn’t show up well on camera but this projector does make an amazing pink colour

The scanners – I was generally impressed with the scanners they produced a pretty good ilda test pattern as shown below. The scanners are rated at 40k, but can be run higher if the scan angle is brought down. The scanners coped very well with all the animations I played, I was using Pangolin quickshow. The below videos show the scanners running at 30k only and in real life there is very very little flicker.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x202/magicmushrooms1/nrg%201000mw/?action=view&current=DSCN3543.flv

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x202/magicmushrooms1/nrg%201000mw/?action=view&current=DSCN3547.flv

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x202/magicmushrooms1/nrg%201000mw/?action=view&current=DSCN3546.flv

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x202/magicmushrooms1/nrg%201000mw/?action=view&current=DSCN3544.flv

Conclusion –

This isn’t a bad projector and I wouldn’t be disappointed if a brought it, but there is room for improvement. Very solid case, very good scanners and quality CNI modules, but not the best beam output.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I have found 405 and 650 do indeed make a very nice pink!

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    I have found 405 and 650 do indeed make a very nice pink!
    Second that, the magenta you get from those two is just marvellous, and bright as hell!

From the review, this looks to be a good starter projector if you want a reliable turn-key system. 1200 quid (1400EUR) is quite a bit of money, but you get CNI lasers, 40k scanners, analogue modulation and a road case.

Sounds like a good deal in my book, also becuse this thing is a good projector for graphics and corporate presentations. Laserworld couldn't pull this off, but these guys did it right.

I guess I have a new project to start saving up for. Can you give some measurements on output power after the optics? And a shot of white or some graphics would also be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post

I guess I have a new project to start saving up for. Can you give some measurements on output power after the optics? And a shot of white or some graphics would also be cool.
    i do not have the projector anymore so cannot take any power readings sorry.

there 4 videos shows graphics above
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

gee those dichros mounts are cheap non-adjustable... 40k scanners?

Quote Originally Posted by Speculative Lasers - Dan View Post
    gee those dichros mounts are cheap non-adjustable... 40k scanners?
    what do dichro mounts and scanner speed have in common???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

lots of things, but thats not my point, sorry to be clearer dichros and mounts , well ive seen these setups before and they arent good, alot of loss and no adjustment, often mounted on 3mm plate (maybe not in this case) and scanners well no ilda test pattern doesnt prove much speed wise... i mean if you goto the effort of using 40k why not install better dichros/mounts? when i see cost cutting , no power tests or ilda patterns we are left with some pictures... thats all.

although it is good to see cni in these machines now but alas the lower end cni modules are very cheap now.. the whole package and even flight case are disturbingly familar.

umm dont get me wrong its interesting to see any review and i (and im sure others) appreciate your effort in posting this.

oh edit hang on maybe there is a test pattern i missed in the video sorry about that....

lots of things, but thats not my point, sorry to be clearer dichros and mounts , well ive seen these setups before and they arent good, alot of loss and no adjustment, often mounted on 3mm plate (maybe not in this case) and scanners well no ilda test pattern doesnt prove much speed wise... i mean if you goto the effort of using 40k why not install better dichros/mounts? when i see cost cutting , no power tests or ilda patterns we are left with some pictures... thats all.

although it is good to see cni in these machines now but alas the lower end cni modules are very cheap now.. the whole package and even flight case are disturbingly familar.

umm dont get me wrong its interesting to see any review and i (and im sure others) appreciate your effort in posting this.

oh edit hang on maybe there is a test pattern i missed in the video sorry about that....

indeed there is no adjustment in the mounts but if you read my review above you will see that they are perfectly aligned. they are bolted and glued down so the likelyhood of them moving is very slim, not impossible but slim.

im still not fully understanding the relationship between dichros quality and galvo speed??

the dichros have no impact on the galvo speed whatsoever and again if you read the above review i have shown the ilda test pattern and it displays very well.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

never said dichros were related to galvo speed.

respect

I have the exact same unit, but rated at 800mw.

I will agree the pink/light purple colour is amazing to see.

Only issue I had with mine was one of the CNI's started to flicker when cold. Did it a couple of times, but has come good now, powering up perfectly from dead cold.

Nice to see that they are now analogue. If I knew this a couple of months ago I would have waited, opting for one of the new ones.

Oh well.