Thread: Concise definitions of laser diode types needed

Default Concise definitions of laser diode types needed

I've been trying to get my head around the concepts of "short die" and "long die", as well as "open can" and "closed can" with respect to laser diodes.

There may well be other concepts of relevance which I welcome dicussion on e.g. single mode etc.

In particular how each of these concepts affects choices of optics, collimation, cooling, etc (if at all). E.g. would you use a Roithner Lens 27 (which has been identified as being perfect for a harvested DVD diode) for a harvested blu-ray diode?

I welcome any enlightenment on this and would like to accumulate the knowledge on this subject to later add to this post.

I couldn't give you exact measurements, but a short die is just a shorter version of a long die. The die being the laser in the casing. Long dice can give more power than short dice.

A closed can diode has the die enclosed with a metal shroud and a window, whereas an open can diode has no such casing. Open can diodes can give more power because they do not have to pass through a window.

This is a closed can:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The-new-DVD-Laser-Diode.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	16980

And this is a long open can:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	longopencandiode2copy.gif 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	16979

Great, that's a good start

What about opening angles and collimation choices (amongst other considerations)?