Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steves idea for the "leak"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Steves idea for the "leak"

Folks, BP is actively soliciting advice for solving the gulf problem.

There are some bright folks here and some practical ones. remember your up against 15,000-30,000 psi in a 20" stream at 1500 meters or so down.

If you have a well thought out idea, you can give them a call, the call gets screened, and they send you a PDF form to fill out if you make it past the first pass review.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP-RESPONSE.pdf 
Views:	33 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	16708

Before you think I'm nuts, cone valves are used on dams for exactly this reason.
    My other preferred idea involves explosive metal forming. The last idea involves using the flange holes on the bop as pivots to guide a blocking plate in, but that has been submitted by some one else.

Problem is, Us armchair generals are often just on the sidelines and don't have all the data.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-16-2010 at 09:28.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

That PDF is just the blank form.

Do they have a link for details on the bop and what it looks like down there?
    Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    That PDF is just the blank form.

Do they have a link for details on the bop and what it looks like down there?
    Chad
    Sadly not. You have to infer that from the TIGHTLY controlled news media.

BTW the BOP is made by a company named Cameron, which has a excellent web site.

Are you sure its blank? If I open it you see this spiel about a hydrodynamic shape that self centers in the flow and blocks the pipe. Hum, wonder if it self encrypts.

Steve

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

No worries, I could read it (but understanding is another issue )
    You might have to update your version of Adobe Reader.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    The last idea involves using the flange holes on the bop as pivots to guide a blocking plate in, but that has been submitted by some one else.
    ...then what a bout a 'variant': get 1-2 of those 'Titan-missile-silo doors' (Pat can probably hook 'em up with a 'contact', from his 'shoot', there... ) with an 'embedded' cap / flange, whatever, down-there, and 'float' them into place, with air-pontoons (obviously this will take some 'engineering' / float-control / steering motors, etc) then deflate the pontoons, when in-place, to-cap?...

Or, what about just driving an old, decommissioned nuke-sub down there; (again, fitted with cap/flange/titan-door, etc) and park its' heavy-@$$ over it, and down onto it... that should be 'heavy-enough', no?

...I've watched too-many Bond-flicks, huh? ..plus, I'm sure they would have already explored / discounted such 'simpleton' ideas... what a sad, crazy-mess...

peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

they need to plug the hole with assholes from wall street and every greedy banker within 100,000 miles, you can follow up with half of the members of congress and then with the entire presidential cabinet, and to top it all off basically anyone with a BP or Halliburton business card. That is shoving a LOT of SHIT in that hole. Anyway, i could go on...but I'll save it for later

In reality the simple solution is to have the FED print enough money to stuff into it...we are going to be paying for it anyway.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    they need to plug the hole with...basically anyone with a BP or Halliburton business card.
    Bush, Cheney and 'Redrum-sfeld' are probably not too-busy, right now... (?) ...though, Cheney is probably-out hunting old friends...
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Steve,

I am reading it on my iPad. It must be an issue with the built in PDF reader.

I will look at it later on another computer.

I don't know how people are supposed to contribute ideas when they will not disclose what the conditioned are down there.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Problem is, we're short on nuke subs already. They decommed dozens of them, and both Clinton and Bush could not wait to have them scrapped ASAP. The ones left to scrap are on the upper left coast. You can't get to the central coast without either rounding South America or passing thru Panama. The commissioned ones we have are stretched to the limit.

The Russians have lots of hulks, but it might take a month or more to tow one down to the Panama canal and into the GOM. The last easily available Russian one on display in the right coast recently sank and was scrapped.

Besides I wonder if the whatever that bonds the hull to the inside rolled rings on even a big nuke could hold 15,000 psi on the instead of the outside. Published test depth is 1600 feet or so, which is probably 550 PSI or so, at 5000, feet its probably 3-4 times that. And those numbers are approximate from a lousy formula that says 1 ATM for every 10 meters of depth, which is really ballparking it.

15,000 PSI is a good guess at the well gas pressure from what I'm reading. but it could be 1/3 that or twice that, as no one seems to want to publish the real well logs eight now.

The first "dome" they lowered down was 150 tonnes and it floated right off the well when it filled with methane ice.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-16-2010 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Steve,

I am reading it on my iPad. It must be an issue with the built in PDF reader.

I will look at it later on another computer.

I don't know how people are supposed to contribute ideas when they will not disclose what the conditioned are down there.

Chad
    Just the idea that WE or The Public has to or should suggest way of fixing this problem that should have never occurred makes me want to fly into a RAGE that should NOT be ever witnessed by another human being. This is not a game, some technology or someone fucked up in a bad way that will destroy the economy in the southern gulf states which will be BILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars in damages that...thats right...you and me will end up having to pay for...laughable...
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.