Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser Safety Seminar - who's interested?

Question Laser Safety Seminar - who's interested?

Hey guys...

I've been in touch with Casey Stack at Laser Compliance, Inc. about the possibility of having him come to SELEM to put on a safety lecture for us. He' said he is willing to donate his time, so long as we agree to pay his expenses.

He'll give us a full day of instruction on pretty much any topic we want, including CDRH variance and product report applications, general laser safety, venue-specific safety tips for laserists, projector design requirements, and so fourth.

I'd like to do this apart from SELEM itself, so that we don't try to compete with the fun surrounding the laser shows on Saturday and Sunday. So I was thinking about having his safety lecture on Monday August 23rd, after SELEM is over with. We can probably do this in the conference room at the Holiday Inn Express right in Newton.

Casey said that his expenses (air fare, meals, and hotel) will probably be $1000 or less. So if we get 10 people who are interested in this, that's $100 each, which seems reasonable to me. Obviously if we have more participants, the cost drops. But for those of us who would like to ensure that our projectors are legal, or for the ones who want to learn more about safety in general), I think this would be an ideal opportunity to make sure we're doing things right.

This is entirely voluntary. If you don't want to participate, that's fine. SELEM will still go on as usual. This is something extra, for those folks that have the time and the interest.

So if you think this would be a good idea, please reply below and I'll start a list.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 04-26-2010 at 12:37. Reason: Fixed Date. Had "May" written, when it was supposed to be August!

I can't understand why you guys aren't all over this thread. An opportunity to get a few hours 'expert' training for $100 from a leader in the field of laser safety should be too good to miss.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Sounds absolutely brilliant to me! What are the odds it could be streamed? I'd pay for the access, but I won't be able to be physically present.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 04-25-2010 at 01:26.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Sounds absolutely brilliant to me! What are the odds it could be streamed? I'd pay for the access, but I won't be able to be physically present.
    I like that idea. I just can't get away that time of year but would be glad to pay for a remote session.

Smile

I don't see a problem with remote streaming, as we will have internet access available to us... Maybe we could work out a deal with partial payment for web-only viewers? (Seems unfair to charge full price when the web viewers can't participate like the people in person can...)

And Jem, this wouldn't be for just a couple of hours. Casey is giving us a FULL DAY seminar. We can pump him for information until he's exhausted!

Adam

Wow! a full days training, and all the other knowledge that comes along with it for $100, that's gotta be an absolute bargain. I always learn better from being told something, or having things demonstarted rather than reading it in books.

Oh, and for the record... you might want to rephrase this bit...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    We can pump him for information until he's exhausted!
    It has slightly different connotations at this side of the pond

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Red face

Yikes! Good call, Jem.

Ahem - we can ask him questions until he's exhausted!

Adam

i am in but was the date correct

I'm in.

The answer to one question alone (under certain conditions) could be worth $100.

Smile

Oops! The date is correct now. Sorry about that! I'm shooting for Monday, August 23rd. This is the Monday after SELEM 2010. (SELEM will be on Saturday, August 21st and Sunday, August 22nd, with the load-in and pre-SELEM dinner party on Friday, August 20th.)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 04-26-2010 at 12:38. Reason: Didn't catch the date error the first time. It's in August, not May.