Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCOTLEM - Laser meet in GLASGOW - Venue found - need lasers now !

Default SCOTLEM - Laser meet 1 hour north of Carlisle - Venue found - need lasers now !

I was in a hall today , about 1500 square feet and thought mmmm this would be useful for laser meet so i enquired , and turns out its available about just every saturday and sunday this year , its a smart enough hall with heating and blackout curtains , and available for a great price . Theres also a couple of travel lodge type places about mile away and a couple of friendly pubs as its in glasgow suburbs.

I realise this might not happen, there might not be enough people , but the facilty is there if enough of you have an interest ..........

Heres a list of possible attendees so far

Paul - lasermad
    Ian - non member
    Richie - starlogic
    Diachi
    Gashead
    David Xntrix ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

I dont think theres enough people yet , ANYBODY else at all for a day playing with lasers ?
    at some point in the next 6 months ? maybe summer meet , maybe feburary meet ....its ll in the hands of who pipes up loudest !

PAUL
    Last edited by Lasermad; 05-21-2010 at 05:53.
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Question Who is this Scot dude? ;)

I am a lil too far west to attend, but did you check on what power is available? Internet for broadcasting?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Shit, just noticed this!

I'm up for it if we can get enough people. What kind of power is available, water, internet? etc

I might manage to score a deal on a nice large frame ion laser, if I do this hall would be perfect for getting it going full tilt granted there is enough power.

Can only get 40A from the single phase at home.

Would be great to see some other peoples kit too.,

EDIT: I might be able to bring a friend along.
    Last edited by Diachi; 02-21-2010 at 04:44.

I would really love to attend this but 624 miles round trip, 10 hours driving, will kill me finacially and physically. My car will do 30MPG so I it would put me back just over £100 - Ouch!
    I could train it but that would mean NO Lasers

It also depends on when you decide to have it?
    I will have a think about it Paul but I can't promise
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I'm up in the North East (Aberdeen) but would be up for making a day trip!
    Last edited by setsinmotion; 02-22-2010 at 02:03. Reason: I don't type so good

depoends on when exactly. I'll be around on 6.6. - DH Worldcup - Fort William, could bring few toys.

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    I would really love to attend this but 624 miles round trip, 10 hours driving, will kill me finacially and physically.
    Oh come on, Jim! When I travel to Florida for the FLEM events, it's nearly 800 miles round trip, and that's in a vehicle that only gets 20mpg! And some of the members end up driving even farther to attend. (DjMatt has a 10 hour drive *ONE-WAY* to make it to FLEM!)

How can you put a price on a "lasergasm"? You know you want to be there, so go ahead and make the trip. Get a room for the night and make it a weekend getaway.

Adam

It's called Money Adam, or lack of it to be acurate

Petrol here is a tad more expensive than over that there H2O mass between us

On short time here at work so no overtime
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Yeah, I know. You pay a little less for a liter than we do for a whole gallon of gasoline. Still, we tend to drive further (in cars that get terrible gas mileage by comparison), so it averages out. And yes, times are tough, so yeah - even a hundred pounds is real money these days. But I submit that if lasers are your passion, you really can't put a price on that.

Personally, I find that attending a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting is often the *only* thing that motivates me to keep plugging away at this hobby. If it wasn't for them, I would have probably given up by now. But every time I go to one, I see something new and cool, and that inspires me to keep going.

Then there's the social aspect of the event. It's rare that I get a chance to really unwind with a bunch of folks who all enjoy the same sort of fun that I do. None of my friends or co-workers here in Charleston know anything about lasers, so it's impossible to discuss projects or ideas with them. But at a LEM, everyone has ideas and projects to discuss. It's like a laser "nerdvana"!

Do I spend too much money doing events like these? Probably. But it's my only real hobby now. I've given up boating, paintball, and skiing, so what have I got left?

Adam

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

I think Jim's been spoilt by organising the Surfleet LEM's for us.
    2 Minutes down the road from his gaff and he gets to kip in his own bed each night.
    No complaints from us UK peeps though as he mum always lays on oodles of Mince Pies.

The averge price (per gallon) in the US is approx. $2.70 (£1.74)
    We are paying approx. $7.80 per gallon here in the UK.

Doesn't leave much spare cash for the essentials in life such as lasers etc.