Thread: Die4drive Blue Ray Current 9-12V instantly burned everything

Default Die4drive Blue Ray Current 9-12V instantly burned everything

Today I received my 2 BlueRay 100mW diodes combined with 2 analogue Die4Drives Ver 1.3 from Laser-Universe. They described in the manual that the driver must be used with a 9-12V DC so I put them on the current which instantly burned the complete driver board and the diodes with a loud crackling sound. I checked the voltage again to make sure I had followed instructions properly and could measure 12V DC on 500mA. Specs of the diode can be found here: http://www.laseruniverse.de/pi2/pi19/pd38.html specs of the driver board here: http://www.laseruniverse.de/pi2/pi21/pd21.html

On the next try, I want to use this psu: http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=3;ART...24598ea46a2041

Does anybody have an idea what could went wrong?

yep dont connect set and dvr on the blu-ray version
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks for the quick reply, I found "Set" on the driver board, but what do you mean with "dvr"? As far as I can see, "Set" isn't connected to anything, but perhaps I'm wrong...

if dvr isnt linked to set then ignore me
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Nevermind29

Do you have a photo of your setup?
    Details of the supply connections, how DRV was connected, if the diodes were isolated from chassis?
    Picture of the board showing which components are burned.

I don't get too much time on the forum so you could email me at robinbowden *at* die4laser *dot* com
    (change *at* to @ and *dot* to .)

Will try to help if possible...
    Kind regards,
    Robin
    Lasers and beer don't mix. After 2 beers I lose coherence.

Thank you very much, I'll try to take some pictures as soon as possible...

Today I assembled 2 new die4drives with 2 150mw blueray diodes from laser universe. This time, I used a new psu. Finally it works very well. I assume there was something wrong with the old psu. But one thing I don't understand. The afterwards installed Blueray Diode and the 100mW 650nm Diode do not shut down completely when not in use, they output a tiny little ray of light all the time, even, when there is no ILDA signal. The original Green Module already installed in the projector on purchase shuts down completely as it should when not in use. Has this behavior something to do with the lasing treshold or could it be a bad ILDA board?

Hi,

when I remember right, the die4drive has also an offset adjustment. With this you can let a little current flow even when 0V is at the modulation input. As a result you will see a dim glow of the laserdiode. Offset should be adjusted so, that the diode is not lasing but close to treshold.
    You can do the following: Check with a voltmeter if there is really 0V at the modulation input. Then check with an amperemeter what current flows into the driver. It should be small but not zero. If this really bothers you, adjust the offset pot to zero current. Personally I wouldn't do this because the diode modulates better when a current close to threshold is flowing already.

Greetings
    Andreas

Thanks for the quick reply ! I'll check that later.

@Andreas:

Vielen Dank für die schnelle Antwort, werde das später gleich mal ausprobieren. Das Poti für den Ruhestrom steht bereits auf Null, habe allerdings noch nicht nachgemessen. Die BluRay-Diode scheint wohl analog zu modulieren. Mein Roter und Grüner sind auf jeden Fall TTL, nur der Rote emittiert auch bei 0V einen schwachen Strahl. Ein bisschen nervt das schon, aber wenn sich das nicht ändern lässt, werde ich damit leben müssen, bis ich mir was besseres leisten kann.

Ja selbst wenn der Offset-Poti auf null ist kann noch ein kleiner Strom fliessen, bedingt durch die Offset-Voltage des Op-amps. Für Shows stört das nicht wirklich da die Diode bei den geringen Stömen nicht lasert sondern nur leicht glimmt. Meine eigenen Treiber haben das auch, und auch bei vielen Projektoren mit blauen Dioden sieht man das. Ich geh bei Einstellung des Bias Stroms meiner Treiber knapp unter die Laserschwelle der Dioden, da leuchtet schon einiges aber in der Show ist der Kontrast sehr gut. Ich hab dann halt in Ruhe einen schwachen Strahl aus dem Projektor und die Dioden modulieren besser.

Grüße
    Andreas