Thread: Thoughts on my new 800mW projector

Default Thoughts on my new 800mW projector

So here I am £1200 poorer and one 800mW richer. I did my first show with it at the weekend, and whilst I was happy with it running on its own, with some other lighting going on it looked under-powered. The headline 800 is probably misleading as it's

600mW 650nm red
    100mW 473nm blue
    100mW 552nm green

white balance is ok - turning the green DOWN to 90% improves it, but compared to my 600mW TTL RGB (220mW 552, 300mW ??? red, 80mW 473) it has considerably less cut. So I was wondering what you guys might consider a good upgrade path to be to make it roughly equal to my other projector? I'm tempted to think drop the 650 to 640 (and yes, I will try these out in Chroma but people is so much better than software) but what power? I'm happy with the blue, so patently I'm looking at boosting the green. How much though?

Wink

Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

This is the only pic from the show I have just now - more will be forthcoming. Was taken during setup and the RGB is rather washed out by the 300mW green on the left. But hey...

This is why it's important to understand what the components are when buying an 'XXhundred milliWatt' projector. As you're finding, just bigger numbers don't necessarily stack up as being brighter.

I'd say the obvious route is to go for a bigger green as this will improve the punch for the cheapest amount of money, and seems to be where the gap is currently between the 2.

For your interest, I've found that for ~350mW of 532, you need about 400mW of 640, or 1W of 650 for a decent balance (only tested on RG so can't comment on 'white' balance, but that will all depend on the amount of blue anyway)

Oh, and I've probably got a cheap TTL Aixiz 532 module doing 190mW stable up for grabs shortly, although I suspect you want analogue.