Thread: Laser Diode Temperature

Default Laser Diode Temperature

Hello all! I want to assemble my own laser module. I have one diode at 300mW at 405nm and case with lenses for it, but i don't know normal working temperature of the laser diode.
    I want to use it in the laser projector, so it must work 8-10 hours approx. in CW mode.

So can somebody tell me, is the additional heatsink is needed or it can be cooled itself with the case? or maybe somebody can give me any material or knowledge about laser cooling?

Thanks a lot

Cheers!!!

My own general rule is to never allow the diode case to exceed 25C. The best way to accomplish this is to use a TEC powered by an active driver than senses temperature and controls the TEC to maintain it.

Most people don't do much more than mount the setup on a heatsink with their homebuilt systems, though, and I don't really hear a whole lot of complaints about diodes dying.

It's not so much of a worry for diodes designed for dvd burning, they are usually rated to around 60°C.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

+ usually the thermal mass of your baseplate and everything on it is enough to cool it.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    + usually the thermal mass of your baseplate and everything on it is enough to cool it.
    ... And the diodes are dirt cheap, so why not make sure you have a few spares?