Default Solid State Drive?

Well, i bit the bullet and bought a new system-

I7-920
    750GB SATA 2
    12GB Tri-CH RAM
    ATI Radeon 5870 w/ 1GB DDR5
    BD ROM
    DVD/RW

I want to swap the 750GB out as a back up/multimedia drive and get a SSD fro my system drive. I am looking at ~80-100GB for the system drive. I see SSD at tiger direct and new egg. but does anyone have any first hand experience with them? whats a good one? what is some of the more important features to look for when shopping for a SSD?? I am investing a pretty penny in this system, and dont want to buy a cheapo crap solid state drive. But i *do* hear the SSD's are just ridiculously impressive!!

any advice?

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

what OS are you running? if your running Windows 7 you want to make sure it supports TRIM...

I personally have used the Intel and OCZ (Vertex) drives and they are both quite good... although personally I would wait a little bit for the price/gb to come down a little before going out and getting one... but thats just me

I have 2 gen 2 Intel X25-M (80 and 160GB) and I love them. They have great performance that does not degrade much over time.

Now, Intel have already started selling the 25nm flash that will go into their 3rd gen SSDs and their roadmap puts the release of the actual G3 drives at Q4 2010. Capacities will go up significantly (up to 600GB), but the price will likely still be too high for them to become mainstream.

Something to consider when you're getting an SSD is reliability. I would not trust some SSDs with my data. For example the Crucial RealSSD C300 have some real problems. The only alternative to Intel's disks I would consider are SandForce based drives, like the Vertex 2. They are faster, but their reliability is not really known at this time.

My recommendation is to get an X25-M G2 now, or wait until the end of the year to get a G3.

for what it is, my advice is to get some velociraptor and resell them as soon as there are reliable SSDs out there (if you don't mind the slight sound of the velociraptors)

I have two velociraptors in raid and I can say it is RAPID

I have had a vertex for about 7 months now. I will never have a spinning disk for my os drive again.

I am paranoid so I have anything that I want to keep on one of my big spare drives. I agree with tocket, Intel x-25g2 or vertex II.

Don't hesitate! Go get one now. You will not regret it. Especially with a new machine.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

do keep a backup regardless... just becuase they are solid-state doesent mean things dont break

I have had a few Vertex drives at work just mysteriously fail for no identifiable reason

I have 2 OCZ Vertex in my system since over a year now, no errors whatsoever.
    Still run Vista, so i use a little tool called wiper.exe to keep it fast (google performance degradation SSD). And fast it is..... 212MB read / 170MB/s write.

This is the OLD vertex, there is also a newer, improved version called the Vertex Turbo, which is like 250/200MB/s !!!

The best investment at this moment you can make for your PC to make it faster is definately a SSD !
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.