Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Million Pound Drop' on UK TV

Looking at that screenshot, you may be right.

Either way, nice to see that lasers appear to be making quite a big comeback in the mainstream (rather than just dance clubs/warehouses). It can only be good for the business as more clients will be wanting shows like they see on the telly.

Yes indeed, and actually, I had my first none club/music enquiry last week.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

The youtube content is blocked for my country so I can't see if the beams are really moving.
    Jugding on the above screenshot it could be EL-lighting wire as well. It's commonly used by stage designers as an alternative to neon.
    The lowest "beam" in the above picture has a bend on the end, that makes it less probable to be laserlight.

Tight, bright und extremely coherent - definitely a laser source in my opinion...

Definately laser in my opinion.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When you look at this wider shot, the beams are definately airborne, you can see the crowd behind them on the right hand side (more so on the video) and again look at the divergence. Even 60 or 70 feet from the source they are tight as.

Only other possibility I would think could be ultra bright LED fed down optical fibre.

i saw this show and thought they where lasers,if you look closely you can see a blue beam at the edge of the white.

"Coherent"

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    There's no way to tell how coherent light is on TV unless you can see speckle.

Default Million Pound Drop

They are lasers.

For anyone that in interested we are the company who installed and operate for Million Pound Drop. The picture shows beams (mirrors) which are mounted on a railing behind the display board. There is no audience scanning. On series one we used 4 x 4w RGB lasers. This was upped and we are now using 6 x 4w RGB lasers. The lights may well be over MPE BUT they are not coherent so this is not a problem, unlike lasers.

www.er-productions.com

Regards

Marc

Clearly this is some new definition of "not a problem" that I was previously unaware of.

Adjective

no problem (not comparable)

1. easy; not difficult, not posing problems

The difference is that putting laser light into the audience here is not aloud the rules for putting light into audience has not yet been introduced.