Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Million Pound Drop' on UK TV

Default 'Million Pound Drop' on UK TV

I've just had the dubious misfortune to catch this show, but one of the things that caught my eye was they appeared to have beams of coherent light in the set. Upon closer inspection it looked to be a very accurate iris on a moving head, but it was very bright, and divergence looked to be very good too.

Anyone else seen this, or come across the fixture before?
    Also, given how bright it appeared (And all the talk of safety that goes on) I'd be curious to see exactly how much they measured on a meter. If a regular fixture can go over MPE, it raises interesting questions about eye safety at a gig generally.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I've just had the dubious misfortune to catch this show, but one of the things that caught my eye was they appeared to have beams of coherent light in the set. Upon closer inspection it looked to be a very accurate iris on a moving head, but it was very bright, and divergence looked to be very good too.

Anyone else seen this, or come across the fixture before?
    Also, given how bright it appeared (And all the talk of safety that goes on) I'd be curious to see exactly how much they measured on a meter. If a regular fixture can go over MPE, it raises interesting questions about eye safety at a gig generally.
    I assure you that typical moving lights can exceed the MPE for ocular hazard...however, there are no regulations which limit exposure. This issue has been raised since the early 80's and has never been resolved. There was a demonstration at a LDI once where a vendor would make the back of his clipboard smoke to show "how powerful it was". HAHA sometimes you just have to shake your head at ignorance level of some folks.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Have you ever been hit by a 1200W HMI follow-spot on the narrowest beam?

Those things would probably give any laser a run for its money... on ALL wavelengths.

I set a tarp on fire setting up for a show with a 7k iros pro one time.

Chad

And once in band camp....
    Last edited by chad; 05-28-2010 at 21:52.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I set a tarp on fire setting up for a show with a 7k iros pro one time.
    Hmm, I wonder how many LX/LD's think about static beam termination in their shows....

The set did look very impressive, the thing that struck me was that the beams passed horizontally behind Davina McCall when the camera was on her, but were still quite visible. That would traditionally be 'least' visible a beam would be, with the viewing point perpendicular to the beam.

Here is a vid of the whole show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtgeTcJgno

Look at about 3:20 (once past the ads), and I've just noticed there do appear to be about 4 lasers on the set as well.
    Also, good shot at 4:07

I am sure many HID lights will far exceed MPE. I also remember that high power LED's are now included under laser regulations.

Looking at the vid, I am pretty sure the white beams at 4:07 are lights rather than lasers. THe beams look far too white and fat for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Looking at the vid, I am pretty sure the white beams at 4:07 are lights rather than lasers. THe beams look far too white and fat for the latter.
    I would say they are lasers at that point.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Sorry, to be clear, I'm fairly sure they are lights at 4:07
    However, there are at least 4 lasers in the set ( 2 on the floor, 2 higher up at sides) in the first bit I mentioned. When you see them side by side, its fairly obvious the fan beams are not coherent light. Very impressive for a luminaire.

Sorry, to be clear, I'm fairly sure they are lights at 4:07
    However, there are at least 4 lasers in the set ( 2 on the floor, 2 higher up at sides) in the first bit I mentioned. When you see them side by side, its fairly obvious the fan beams are not coherent light. Very impressive for a luminaire.
    They look like fixtures, but surely they must be laser source, possibly fibre fed?

I just can't see any none coherent source providing that density and coherence.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.