Thread: High Voltage Capacitor

Lightbulb High Voltage Capacitor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2964.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	17274 (d-sub 25 for scale)

Used high voltage capacitor 0,33uF @ 40 KV.
    Manufactured by HEC salvaged from a dye laser.

Low voltage impedance measurement shows a C of 0,39uF. I have no means (and guts) to charge it to full 40KV.

Originally intended for a tesla build of mine, but I have decided I'd rather die of old age.
    Improper use of this capacitor is lethal, not a bit - but a lot!

I have no clue what to ask for this component, so a good motivation why I should sell it to you might be worth more than a good offer.

be sure to hook a 100K bleeder resistor across the terminals, these may charge themselves with static electricity

Normally it's stored in a pink bag.
    And I am not exactly dragging this thing over nylon carpet .

I have seen some of those hi-voltage caps stored unshorted and the like, with static environment, and no concern about safety in an university lab, so I like to remind it

they also had 1MFD 2500VDC capacitors used for high power flashlamp molecular dissociation, the size of a small bucket, unshorted and left to the hand

if I had the money I'd buy it now, it is a great capacitor and it appears it has been carefully kept in good condition

Hey,

I would suggest selling the capacitor over on 4HV. If you wish I can make a mention of it. With its potential to store 264J of energy I would be hesitant to sell it to anyone under 18, or at least without any HV experience.

As for the tesla coil, I still say you should go ahead with it.

They are in many respects like lasers...
    potentially dangerous? very much so...
    a lot of fun and entertainment if proper precautions are taken? again very much so!

If you need any help with it, though most of us are focused on solid state atm, I or any 4HV member will be happy to help with your endeavor! (videos of some of my coils operating: http://www.youtube.com/user/bmanTCoiler)

Best Regards,
    brtaman