Thread: pigeon-be-gone (using laser, naturally)

Default pigeon-be-gone (using laser, naturally)

Our business neighbor attached 'bird guards' on the top edge of their building and other surfaces where pigeons roost. So, now these winged pests are taking up residence on our building. I guess they like the view of the mountains from this part of town.

This morning at about 8:30am from a distance of about 30 yards I lased the pigeons, and other birds, and observed that, sure enough, they took flight. Ufortunately this appears to only be a temporary fix, because the same birds flew back to our building after 2-3 minutes. With each subsequent lasing the birds were more and more reluctant to leave. It seems they got used to the green light real quick.

This isn't Europe, GB for example, so it is not as easy to moderate the sound of a pellet gun (use a "silencer".) Besides, any shot would put me in the public's view.

Darn! As much as I wish the laser could 'do it all', I guess I will have to employ some physical bird barrier.

Gabriel Guest

In my experience, birds become accustomed to lower powers but their willingness to leave and the amount they become accustomed to it decreases exponentionally at higher levels. Research in China has been done on bird deterrence involving cranes on Chinese airports, and apparently a 60mw 532nm laser was powerful enough to make the birds leave for up to (and exceeding) an hour, without the birds becoming accustomed to the laser.

There are a few important things to remember regarding this:
    1) Flight times: Smaller birds make smaller hops and are much more prone to jump back to an area once a 'percieved threat' has moved out. Larger birds, because of what we call 'economic flights' have to fly for a longer amount of time before any flight's takeoff becomes a viable option, meaning they tend to stay away for a longer amount of time.
    2) Eye vulnerability: Different species of birds' eyes are more sensitive to the green light. While it's true that their brains can only process black and white, this sensitivity dictates the brightness of the dot.
    3) Sleeping: When birds are sleeping, they have their eyes closed. Because of this, light doesn't work. (Duh!) It's pretty annoying, but if you make a loud enough noise and then laser em, they should go flying.

Just my twopenneth on my experiences with bird deterrence.

~Gabriel

i have the same problem with squirrels on my roof, but there's nothing i can do about it. i cant see them, but i can hear them gnawing away, and walking on the roof.

Locally, a shopping mall has a problem with crows, so they set up propane cannons on the roof. Kaboom!
    Just makes the birds fly from ons side of the building to the other.

Seems its more annoying to the neighbors than the birds.

They wanted to try falcons but the animal "worshippers" (lovers whiners, tree huggers, whatever) thought that was wrong, so still a bird problem

the only idea i thought might work is put a glass dome over the building

but it seems the birds still win. gotta wash the truck after going to the mall.
    I guess somebody is happy, the local car wash.
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

I have heard :lol: Magpies hate green laser light, they are scared if it gets anywhere near them. The same is true of crows, although some inderviduals soon get used to it.

I like all other types of birds so thats the limit of my experience.

Gold

Bleh...live in Florida, by the gulf, and deal with those rats with wings that hang at every parking lot and beach around....they're b**lsy enough to snatch food from fingers and those seagulls (I am NOT making this up!) seem to have a game going where they try to hit as many targets as they can before the cars move out. I kid thee not!!!

I tried pegging them with my lil pocket greenie...and for every one I spook off the scene, three fill its place, and it's off to the car wash I go...my give up!

Hence...3 out of every 5 gas stations include a car wash (again: I kid thee not!)
    Responses always welcome...whether intelligent replies or smart answers

I had been sitting in my driveway in my car, and watched a bird flare out, drop his load on my hood and fly on, now that was on purpose, intelegently aimed bird bombing run, untill then i thought the birds just let it fly anywheres, but i know now they intentionally aim for the most clean and shiny human vehicle!
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

could've been you standing outside, i've been hit a few times, but that's when theyre perched on a ledge :evil:

Spoke with an employee at H*me Dep*t today. He mentioned that they use netting where possible and "pellets on the roof". By "pellets" he meant pigeon food (that has DEATH as an unfortunate known side effect. )

I decided on using a roll of roof flashing to make sloped surfaces that I understand will make it difficult for the beasts to land. Either that or a taught piece of thin cable suspended a couple inches above the window sills and on top of the building's facade.

"You are with the FDA, well yes sir, that 200mw laser you've confiscated is intended for pest control purposes."

Quote Originally Posted by 20x
    Either that or a taught piece of thin cable suspended a couple inches above the window sills and on top of the building's facade.
    Tied off to a grenade should work...oh , forgot the mess it would make...sorry
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF