Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 445nm blue diode build options

Question

What needs to be made certain...
    1 Is this the same diodes that were on fleabay
    2 If not has anyone made any conclusive testing...graphs of current and PO
    3 safe operating temperature range
    4 The poor beam specs...best method of taming...aspherics-anamorphic-combination of optics
    5 Is the Bluray Lasorb fast enough to protect these? If so , at what cost in shunted heat generation?

Everything else will be simple machining chores. A good TEC circuit would be handy ...Looking at these.....
    http://www.analog.com/en/fiberoptic/...s/product.html
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

I hope to address 1 and 2 by Thurs/Friday.
    3 and 4 may take a few days longer + some extended tinkering...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    What needs to be made certain...
    1 Is this the same diodes that were on fleabay
    2 If not has anyone made any conclusive testing...graphs of current and PO
    3 safe operating temperature range
    4 The poor beam specs...best method of taming...aspherics-anamorphic-combination of optics
    5 Is the Bluray Lasorb fast enough to protect these? If so , at what cost in shunted heat generation?

Everything else will be simple machining chores. A good TEC circuit would be handy ...Looking at these.....
    http://www.analog.com/en/fiberoptic/...s/product.html
    1) Almost positive. My ebay diode has glue remnants. Cut pin is the same, pin length looks the same.
    2) I don't have the time. and until I het my hands on some more of these for cheap I am not going to blow the one that I paid 500 for.
    3) Not sure yet but they do like to be cool.
    4) :
    5)Hope so, I have one on mine and so far so good. I haven't killed it yet.

And as for the analog part did you look at the package ? a little 5x5 no pin jobber. going to be a pain to deal with without a pick and place and real surface mount reflow stuff.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

5: The blu-ray lasorbs can also be used for 445nm diodes. I've asked Francesco about this because the datasheet does seem to point out that they are specially made for 405nm blu-ray diode’s but this isn’t the case.

An easier to solder part could be: http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/3377 I will make a PCB and give it a try

we need a gb for lasorbs now
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Can someone explain TECing to me please?

If (as someone suggested earlier) these diodes like to be cold, then do you actually NEED a TEC controller, or could you just put in a moderate size TEC and have it running constantly to drop the temp a bit? E.g. could you have a halfway house solution that was better than no TEC, but not quite as good as the right size TEC properly controlled?

Or could this lead to a situation where it gets too cold and moisture starts to condense (I guess thats bad right? )

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    we need a gb for lasorbs now
    Lasorb for a 30$ diode ? not for me !

The first risk on burning the diode is when I'm welding the lasorb for me

you have to solder the lasorb with the diode leads shorted (like a small conductive wire around the leads)

then whenever you have to solder/desolder/modify, you are free of injury

trust it, even a line power surge occuring can generate a voltage peak in the diode wires and blow it out

and for less than 10 dollars the lasorb... this is a steal

Quote Originally Posted by SrS View Post
    5: The blu-ray lasorbs can also be used for 445nm diodes. I've asked Francesco about this because the datasheet does seem to point out that they are specially made for 405nm blu-ray diode’s but this isn’t the case
    What concerned me was the spec sheet for the BR Lasorb states "optoelectronic devices that have an operating voltage between 4.5V and 6.5V" and these ebay 445's barely go over 4v

Yes, I had the same concern. Basically he told me that the select few that are using the expensive 445nm diodes do already know they are suitable. I’m sure he can provide some more information about this. He probably gets a peak in blue lasorbs sales soon