Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reason for recent increase in users online

Lightbulb Reason for recent increase in users online

I don't know how many of you pay attention, but the "Most users ever online was 503, 07-01-2007 at 20:00"; I beleive this was when there was the slashdot report on Spec and Marconi's lil 405nm handheld...

There are currently 438 users online. 120 members and 318 guests. I assume this has something to do with the 445nm group buy or the discovery of a cheap 445nm diode source.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thumbs up

Good guess!

Adam

Question

Might we consider the Casio projector's way of making images the 445nm diode's killer app?

I've not really followed the 445nm conversations, but here's my question anyway. Is it profitable right now to buy a brand new projector to sell the lasers out of it?

Lightbulb

I think we are about to see the end of 473nm's dominance of laser projectors for solid state blue.

I would not buy a projector just to sell the lasers; unless they come with a set of CT6125s or soemthing. If these 445s work out it will become real cheap to build a RGB projector laser wise. aiji and dave's lil RGV will be the model for the next gen 1Watt projectors that will make my Kvant look bulky...

Quote Originally Posted by robert hess View Post
    I've not really followed the 445nm conversations, but here's my question anyway. Is it profitable right now to buy a brand new projector to sell the lasers out of it?
    Last week yes... This week, not so much. Thus the ebay 445's going for the price of 24 of them two weeks-month ago.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I think we are about to see the end of 473nm's dominance of laser projectors for solid state blue.
    due to cost, probably... but honestly.... 445 is not blue, its indigo... and i dont like it as a color, or how it mixes... but thats just personal opinion...

457 i think is going to be the nicest true blue

Smile

While I agree that 445 nm by itself is not an ideal blue, it is nevertheless a nice color to have in your projector. If your goal is to have an ideal color palette, then I'd say you ought to have both 445 nm and 473 nm in your projector. (Or a single laser at ~ 456 nm.)

With that said, given that these new diodes are two orders of magnitude cheaper than any other solid state blue laser, it's not hard to understand why there is so much enthusiasm for them. It really does change the game.

If these diodes turn out to be suitable for projector use (and I would just about guarantee that this is the case), then blue just went from the most expensive color to the least expensive color. I mean, come on... 500 mw of blue in a single diode for only $30? You've got to be shitting me!

I predict that if this pans out, we'll see a slow death of the use of 473 nm lasers in laser projectors. I know that if I were a laser retailer, I'd be *very* worried right now if I had a large stock of 473 nm lasers sitting on the shelf. It might be impossible to sell those lasers at any reasonable price in a few weeks / months.

Adam

I've seen an RGB with just 445nm and it looks stunning...
    Also, people make some REALLY nice projectors with just 405nm...
    *just sayin'*
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I've seen an RGB with just 445nm and it looks stunning...
    Agreed. I've seen 445 nm side-by-side with 473 nm in paired RGB projectors. I've also seen RGBV projectors with both 473 nm and 405 nm. And while they all can produce amazing colors, and admittedly the 445 nm projector does produce a better white, I still feel that projectors with a 473 nm blue in them look better for the vast majority of frames. (Especially graphics frames)

In a projector with only 445 nm blue, you don't have a light blue like you'd see in the daytime sky. And that's an important color to have. Sure, in theory you can just add some 532 nm green to get that color, but in all of the projectors with 445 nm blue that I've seen (including the $30,000 + Infinity-series 3 watt RB rigs they had on the ILDA cruise back in 2008), I've *never* seen this done effectively. People always say it can be done, but I've yet to see it work as advertised. It always ends up looking like cyan.

Don't get me wrong: 445 nm blue is an awesome color in it's own right. And given that the cost has now dropped to insanely affordable levels, I think we'll see a lot more of this color in projectors in the future. And maybe in time people will forget about the missing "light blue" of the 473 nm lasers.

But I'll always want some 473 nm blue in my projector.

Adam